Need some input on my hardware

tanixtanix Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have been studying for the CCNA for a while now. I have done the Testout study, Boson Sims, and used GNS3 to setup some things, but I wanted to get some actual equipment as I went through the sybase book.

I did some reading here, but I admit not as in-depth as I should have first time around. I think just the excitement of getting hardware is what led me to a bad buy on ebay.

Basically, I picked up a kit ($159):

2 x c1900 switches
1 2504 router 1mb Dram 8 mb Flash
1 2516 router 1mb Dram 8 mb Flash

As I was working with them, problems came up.

As has been mentioned, the 1900's have limitations. The 2500's are ok for many things, but are limited on memory which led to issues with IOS upgrades. While it was a waste of expense, I did learn some things about tftp, router loops, and so forth.

The switches however were lacking. So I did some reading here again, shopped around and was able to get:

3 x 2924XL-EN switches (25 a piece)

These are working great so far.

I am looking for better routers and found some that may end up being a good price (25-40 a piece):

2610xm's with NM-ESW-16 and WIC-1T modules
128 mb /32 mb
1 WIC module open

I plan to pick up 2 of these.

Combined with what I already have, should these be sufficient for being very ready for the test?

Also, I would like to think forward to the new route, switch and tshoot exams.

Is there an addition or any modules anyone would recommend for my setup?

Also, I had a question concerning the 2516's hub ports. To what extent is this used for practically?

Anyway, any advice is certainly welcome.

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    tanix wrote: »
    2 x c1900 switches
    Boat anchors in terms for Cisco certifications. They run something which has a CLI that looks very IOSish but isn't actually IOS. They're fine as a generic switch still though. Just not useful for Cisco certifications.
    3 x 2924XL-EN switches (25 a piece)
    2950s at a minimum are prefered because of the changes made in IOS. 2924XLs are fine as your 3rd switch but ideally you want two 2950s running the Enhanced Image. Not a big deal if you can only get SI 2950s though.

If you really can't get 2950s or really don't want to then the 2924XLs will be okay. You just have to be aware of the changes made to IOS when learning. Reading the manuals on Cisco.com will be helpful.
    I am looking for better routers and found some that may end up being a good price (25-40 a piece):

2610xm's with NM-ESW-16 and WIC-1T modules
    128 mb /32 mb
    1 WIC module open
    If they really are $25-$40 then snap these up. They can run 12.4T and do voice if you ever decide to do so. The NM-16ESW is handy as well for later work but be aware of the limitations of using a NM-16ESW instead of a real standalone switch.
    Combined with what I already have, should these be sufficient for being very ready for the test?
    You should be fine. As previously mentioned, 2950 switches are preferred but people have managed to pass without them and just remembered the differences.
    Also, I would like to think forward to the new route, switch and tshoot exams.
    All the routers will be useful for that. The 2600XMs especially so. Dynamips is available anyway if you wish to pursue that route. There are legal issues with obtaining and running IOS images for Dynamips though. These have been previously explained in other posts on this forum.
    Also, I had a question concerning the 2516's hub ports. To what extent is this used for practically?
    Nothing. The internal Ethernet interface of the 2516 is just connected to a hub internally.
  • tanixtanix Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks much for the advice.

I picked up the three 2924XL's because they were about 20 a pop, so I thought it was good deal. As for the differences, I will look into that or pick up a 2950 if I can find a deal.

one thing I noticed that I may need is something for the frame relay labs, unless I am missing something.

The 2610xm's I thought could take a NM-4T module to use for frame relay labs, but it turns out that module isn't supported. Is there a module that is?

Do I need to pick up a 252x router or am I missing the capability somewhere. Sorry if I sound a little ignorant, I thought I had a handle on things and the equipment really put things into perspective. Even so, I must say I absoultely love the it. Ive done the MS stuff and worked in IT for a while in my past, but the Cisco stuff is like going to a candy store with a pocket full of change.

Again, thanks for the info. This cert has been a completely different world in approach, though I must admit the most enjoyable.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    The 2610xm's I thought could take a NM-4T module to use for frame relay labs, but it turns out that module isn't supported. Is there a module that is?

Yeah, you want the NM-4A/S instead. They provide low speed serial interfaces instead of the full speed like the 4T, but that makes little difference for study purposes