Options

Cisco

sotheara82sotheara82 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was wonder how do i start and what do i need to study first because i want to become a network engineer. I already got my college degree in IT but i don't know which Cisco Certification i need to start first. Thanks everyone in advance.
THANKS FOR YOU TIME. ::D
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    luke_bibbyluke_bibby Member Posts: 162
    That certainly is some options you have there in your poll :P

Before you think about the higher level certs such as CCNP and CCSP you will have to look at obtaining the CCNA certification.

Option 1: CCNA, CCENT
    Study for the ICND1 exam, pass it, and obtain the CCENT certification. After that, study for the ICND2 exam, pass it, and obtain the CCNA.
    Pros: Smaller amount of stuff to learn for the test; provides a nice friendly introduction into the world of networking and cisco IOS (the OS which runs on a lot of their devices); same price as only taking the 1 exam track (option 2); get two certifications if you want to pad out your resume.
    Cons: Two trips to the assessment centre :rollicon_confused.gif

Option 2: CCNA
    Study for the CCNA exam, pass it, and obtain the CCNA certification.
    Pros: One exam to study for; one trip to the assessment centre; maybe someone else can chime in here cause I did option 1 :)
    Cons: You don't get the CCENT certification; more stuff to remember for the exam (which may be overwhelming if you don't work in the field or you haven't got much networking experience)

This site will provide you with all the information you need to get ready for the wonderful world of cisco certification (look on the left hand bar for all of the certifications you can get):
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com

Some study materials which others have found good for the CCNA are:
    Amazon.com: CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (Exam 640-802), Third Edition (Containing ICND1 and ICND2 Second Edition Exam Certification Guides) (9781587201950): Wendell Odom: Books
    Amazon.com: CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802 (9780470110089): Todd Lammle: Books
    CBT Nuggets: Cisco CCNA Certification Package

Hope that helped somewhat
  • Options
    CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    sotheara82 wrote: »
    I was wonder how do i start and what do i need to study first because i want to become a network engineer.

I'd start with CCENT/ICND1 to get your feet wet. Passing that will give you confidence to go for the CCNA/ICND2. Worked for me anyway and now I find myself going for the CCNA Security just for the fun of it :)
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • Options
    sotheara82sotheara82 Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CiskHo wrote: »
    I'd start with CCENT/ICND1 to get your feet wet. Passing that will give you confidence to go for the CCNA/ICND2. Worked for me anyway and now I find myself going for the CCNA Security just for the fun of it :)

thats nice. thanks a lot.
    THANKS FOR YOU TIME. ::D