Passed Network+

bmtuserbmtuser Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
Whew! I passed the network plus test. 850/900 I used the Comptia Network+ Study Guide Fourth Edition by LearnKey and Transcender practice tests. I would say that the Transcender practice tests helped me get familiar with how the test/questions would be delivered. Now on to A+ and Security+! Already bought Darril Gibson's book for the Kindle. This forum really helped me find the best study materials, and I just wanted to let you guys know that your help is much appreciated! icon_cheers.gif
Started WGU 07-01-2011
Finished BS IT Network Administrator on 03/10/2012

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif

Good luck with your continued studies icon_study.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congratulations. Great score.

Good luck on the A+ and Security+. You'll find that the knowledge you gained studying for the Network+ will help you with the Security+ exam.

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    ISBN: 1439236364
    Security+ Blog
  • redline5thredline5th Member Posts: 119
    Wow, that is great news! Congrats!
    WGU - Bachelors in Information Technology

“The liberty of speaking and writing guards our other liberties.” -- Thomas Jefferson
  • nx1nonx1no Member Posts: 36 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations man! I hear from people that Net+ is harder than A+, so I'm sure you'll do well.

How much knowledge/experience did you have going into Net+, and how long did you study for?
  • bmtuserbmtuser Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been working in IT for about 8 years, mostly helpdesk type support. It was pretty familiar stuff since I have worked on small networks and just really needed to get familiar with the OSI model and well-known ports. I studied for 2 weeks reading different material and spent a week on the practice tests. I have been putting off getting A+ certified just because it's not really going to advance my career at this point, but since the certified for life policy is going away I figure now is the best time.
    nx1no wrote: »
    Congratulations man! I hear from people that Net+ is harder than A+, so I'm sure you'll do well.

How much knowledge/experience did you have going into Net+, and how long did you study for?
    Started WGU 07-01-2011
  • LanHaoLanHao Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The Sec+ exam goes a lot more into detail about Port numbers and such.

Any recommended topics that I should keep an eye on specifically for the Network+ (my test is tomorrow - and I am trying to cover all bases, but the wiring standards are giving me grief...)?
  • bmtuserbmtuser Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wiring isn't my strong suit either. I'm colorblind red-green and some of the newer CAT-6 cables are bright colors that throw me off if I don't pay attention. For the test you do need to know 568a and 568b and how to make a crossover cable. Network+ covers a broad range of material so I wouldn't focus on one topic unless you are really struggling with it. Good Luck!
    LanHao wrote: »
    The Sec+ exam goes a lot more into detail about Port numbers and such.

Any recommended topics that I should keep an eye on specifically for the Network+ (my test is tomorrow - and I am trying to cover all bases, but the wiring standards are giving me grief...)?
    Started WGU 07-01-2011
  • LanHaoLanHao Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The thing that has been killing me are the routing protocols, and well, RIP, IGRP, OGSP and all of them, i keep inverting which ones are which... the cables I actually did when i was going to school for Computer Hardware (and when I got my A+ cert). The cables that have been an issue for me are the Fiber optic ones, and which ones are which, and the types of connectors... but I think I have a few ideas for mnemonics on those... hopefully.