Interview

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I may start on the CCSP. I'm honestly not 100% sure yet. I have a lot on my plate as it is. I know before summer I should have OSCP, GCIA, and CCNA:sec. A coworker and I have been talking about studying for CEH, JNCIA, and possibly CCSA.

I am done trying to keep up with you icon_redface.gif well maybe icon_wink.gificon_study.gif

I want to do the CCSP (really I do) but I just feel my networking background isn't strong enough yet to think about securing it. Who knows though. I want to do S+ BEFORE SSCP and then after that CEH and OSCP so I will need to wait a little bit on that. The sans certs are miles away (cost!!!) right now so that will happen when it happens.
    great. I position is just like my last job but the company is smaller (IT head count is about 38 with 25 people being AS400/web developers). It was awesome. They are using juniper gear (firewalls) cisco gear (just about everything else) hundreds of servers (virtualized) and other nifty things (you know the stuff a business needs to operate). I was surprised that they gave me a tour of the DC and where I would be working. It was pretty neat and they are currently working on a migration to cisco 1841s on the clients site and are really needing help to get that done. Since I would be 3rd shift, they stated that I would be helping out with the projects/updates/etc that can't happen during the day.

I think it is a good sign that by the time I finally got home (had to go to school to get my classes straighten out) I had an email in my inbox asking for references. We will see.....
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Sounds promising and exactly the type of position you need to get some good hands on. Let us know how it goes!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds promising!!

I do have to recommend that you really think about the pros and cons of working the third shift, though. At a previous job I had to choose either the first shift or the third shift for higher pay. After seriously leaning toward graveyard, I went with the first shift, and I'm glad I did.

One problem with working graveyard was the very limited interaction with other people. Indeed, my manager was fairly new and literally had not met the graveyard staff until several months into the job! Also, even if you have coworkers with you on graveyard, you can't really go to "lunch" together since few restaurants are open that late (and the places that are open usually are lousy). Overall, for my situation I felt it would be difficult to grow my personal network or get noticed enough.

Another consideration is if you can actually adjust your sleep schedule and function well at that hour. In the department I worked, there were cases of third shift employees being reprimanded and/or fired for sleeping. If you're sure you can adjust, consider when you will actually be sleeping, and how it will affect your life. For example, if you are sleeping in the evening (immediately before work), you probably can't grab dinner or hang out with most of your friends, and if you sleep during the day (immediately after work), you can't take any day classes.

Anyway, just think about it, and good luck!!
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
    Sounds promising!!

I do have to recommend that you really think about the pros and cons of working the third shift, though. At a previous job I had to choose either the first shift or the third shift for higher pay. After seriously leaning toward graveyard, I went with the first shift, and I'm glad I did.

One problem with working graveyard was the very limited interaction with other people. Indeed, my manager was fairly new and literally had not met the graveyard staff until several months into the job! Also, even if you have coworkers with you on graveyard, you can't really go to "lunch" together since few restaurants are open that late (and the places that are open usually are lousy). Overall, for my situation I felt it would be difficult to grow my personal network or get noticed enough.

Another consideration is if you can actually adjust your sleep schedule and function well at that hour. In the department I worked, there were cases of third shift employees being reprimanded and/or fired for sleeping. If you're sure you can adjust, consider when you will actually be sleeping, and how it will affect your life. For example, if you are sleeping in the evening (immediately before work), you probably can't grab dinner or hang out with most of your friends, and if you sleep during the day (immediately after work), you can't take any day classes.

Anyway, just think about it, and good luck!!

Graveyard is ok to me. I am a night owl and I regularly stay up late (even when I was working 1st shifts). There is a Tacobell across the street (awesomeness) and a steak shake down the road (awesomeerness) so I wouldn't have to worry about that . I am not a particularly social guy now so I wouldn't have to worry about that. The thing that I am going to have to get use to (if it comes through) is sleeping during the day (like early morning/afternoon) because I have classes in at 4pm (TWTHR) and I plan to add another (again if this comes through).

The thing I was really worried about was my wife, she has trouble sleeping when I am not there (we don't life in the best neighborhood, not the ghetto but it is getting there) but she said she was fine with me working 3rds again. I use to work them but that place was 35+ miles away, with this place being a little more than 6 it really makes a big difference (1 1-/2 hours trip both ways to about 10 minutes both ways).

Thanks and I still hope to see in the L+ forum as one of the big responsibilities is CENTOS/RH server work
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    knwminus wrote: »
    I was surprised that they gave me a tour of the DC and where I would be working.
    If the tour was after your interview, and not just a walk through to where the interview was held, then it is promising indeed.

For entry level positions we like to see the "kid on Christmas morning" look when we let them sneak a peek into a data center after an interview.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Also, even if you have coworkers with you on graveyard, you can't really go to "lunch" together since few restaurants are open that late (and the places that are open usually are lousy).

Praise Jesus for Waffle House, that's all I can say about that.

Personally, I freaking hate working graveyard. I cannot wait until I'm in a position to leverage myself out of it. The only reason I'm not already fighting tooth and nail to get out of it is because I have plenty of free time to study on the company's dime. I work a 4 on/3off, 3on/4off rotation, and have to adjust my sleeping schedule twice a week because I cannot stand being a night owl on my days off.
    mikej412 wrote: »
    If the tour was after your interview, and not just a walk through to where the interview was held, then it is promising indeed.

For entry level positions we like to see the "kid on Christmas morning" look when we let them sneak a peek into a data center after an interview.

This was after the interview. Man I almost cried* because it was so beautiful. Like I don't want to sound like a kid but I really wanted to take apart their IBM San. All I saw were fans and blades, it was oh so nice. Cisco 6509 (x2) was just looking perfect. PERFECT. For the first time in my life I actually saw a piece of juniper gear (ssg? firewall). It was just awesome.

* In any given situation where I feel very excited, I am likely to have 1 of 3 reactions.

1: Cry
    2: Gawk and laugh
    3: Get a hard on

I think that gawking would have made me look crazy and lord knows getting a hard on would get me in a world of trouble so.....

Praise Jesus for Waffle House, that's all I can say about that.

Personally, I freaking hate working graveyard. I cannot wait until I'm in a position to leverage myself out of it. The only reason I'm not already fighting tooth and nail to get out of it is because I have plenty of free time to study on the company's dime. I work a 4 on/3off, 3on/4off rotation, and have to adjust my sleeping schedule twice a week because I cannot stand being a night owl on my days off.

Waffle House is freaking awesome. Like I usually don't go for chili for breakfast but when I am there I have to get it on my hash browns. It is the best (when you can't get homemade, its 3 in the morning and you don't want to spend a lot of money).

I don't want to work 3rds forever, just until I get done with school then I would like a normal 8-5.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Waffle house is the shite! When you are out partying (or I guess working in this context) all night, nothing is better then some WaHo hash browns all the way!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    3: Get a hard on
    Those servers vibrate and are warm. Not an unusual reaction really...
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    3rd shift is not bad at all. I am enjoying it.

I worked in banking for 11 years and went to school on the companies dime. Got an AAS in computer networking and a few certs (CCNA A+ and NET+ at the time) and in 1 1/2 years I only got 1 interview. I would apply for any IT (Help Desk, Desktop support, entry lvl network etc...) Then I seen a position open for a 3rd shift Desktop support position and applied and had an interview scheduled a couple days later. As soon as I had the interview scheduled I knew I had the position, and I am not a cocky person. There is less competition for the undesirable shifts such as the dreaded 3rd. With that said the interview went super smooth and I got the call offering the job about 3 days later so I did not have to wait long.

So my point is.... I think you have the job. Your interview went well..... You got a tour of the data center afterwards.... And unless you live in a big city (Columbus, Cleveland, or Cinncinnati) I don't think that there will be much competition.... I think you have the job.
    citinerd wrote: »
    3rd shift is not bad at all. I am enjoying it.

I worked in banking for 11 years and went to school on the companies dime. Got an AAS in computer networking and a few certs (CCNA A+ and NET+ at the time) and in 1 1/2 years I only got 1 interview. I would apply for any IT (Help Desk, Desktop support, entry lvl network etc...) Then I seen a position open for a 3rd shift Desktop support position and applied and had an interview scheduled a couple days later. As soon as I had the interview scheduled I knew I had the position, and I am not a cocky person. There is less competition for the undesirable shifts such as the dreaded 3rd. With that said the interview went super smooth and I got the call offering the job about 3 days later so I did not have to wait long.

So my point is.... I think you have the job. Your interview went well..... You got a tour of the data center afterwards.... And unless you live in a big city (Columbus, Cleveland, or Cinncinnati) I don't think that there will be much competition.... I think you have the job.

Thanks for the encouragement these last few weeks of unemployment have been hell (on my mind) and showed me a lot about our finances (my wife, cat, and me). We need to be better and it is my responsibility to make us better. We are a young couple (I am 22, she is 20) so the time to start is now. In a lot of ways, we are doing well, but in some ways, we still have high school habits. We are getting it together though. By the way, I live in Dayton (you know all the crippling depression that Cleveland exports, Dayton is where it sends it YouTube - Hastily Made Cleveland Tourism Video: 2nd Attempt).

At any rate several interesting developments: I got a call (and an email) from a recruiter regarding a base job. It is a contract job but I would get a clearance. Also a place that I phone interviewed with wants me to do a F2F interview with them on Monday (with their VP). Also the place I interview with yesterday is calling my references (one has contacted me and told me). Honestly that is the place I want to work, with my interview on monday being number 2 and the base job being 3. I also got yet another call from Robert Half and I am meeting with them on Tuesday. They are a distant number 4.

Honestly I just want this all panned out by the end of the month when I start school. If I am lucky, I can get a bidding war going. I thought CCNAs were in high supply (the degree program I am in actual has all 4 cisco ccna classes even though I self studied for it before I enrolled in those classes) BUT I was told by the CIS chair at school that a lot of people are taking the classes and not taking the classes. Alot of people are are getting D's in the classes. The reason why this came up is I was talking to her about the CCNP classes (which are no longer offered) and I wanted to know why also there was a CWNA class that is no longer offered. Both required the CCNA classes as a pre req and there wasn't a lot of interest in either set of classes.

At any rate we will see what happens.....
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    If I am lucky, I can get a bidding war going.

Do you have a job right now? Either way a bid war should be the last thing on your mind. You'll end up bidding yourself right out of a potential job.
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Do you have a job right now? Either way a bid war should be the last thing on your mind. You'll end up bidding yourself right out of a potential job.

You are absolutely right and it is all in my head. That is the only reason why I am interviewing with the other places, because the place I interviewed with yesterday hasn't made an offer yet, but if they did I would cancel the other ones with the quickness.

I live in a section of ohio where there are colleges everywhere. Seems like everyone has a BA/BS in something (but I don't yet icon_redface.gif) so I think that may hurt me some. I saw a job the other day that wanted a BS in CS or MS in CS for a help desk position and was paying like 14 dollars an hour. If someone has their Masters it is an insult to pay them 14 dollars an hour. They should at least make double that. But at any rate, we will see.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hope you get the job! If you don't just pick yourself up and keep on looking. I got laid off from a Help Desk position about 8 months ago. I got a job about a month later so just be persistent in your searches and don't get discouraged. Honestly, I was so unhappy in my job at the Help Desk that it was actually a blessing that I got laid off.
    At any rate several interesting developments: I got a call (and an email) from a recruiter regarding a base job. It is a contract job but I would get a clearance. Also a place that I phone interviewed with wants me to do a F2F interview with them on Monday (with their VP). Also the place I interview with yesterday is calling my references (one has contacted me and told me). Honestly that is the place I want to work, with my interview on monday being number 2 and the base job being 3. I also got yet another call from Robert Half and I am meeting with them on Tuesday. They are a distant number 4.

Keep interviewing until you know it is for sure.

I am envious of your self studie for the CCNA. I self studied and failed it twice (once with a 839 and 842 yes that is 12 and 9 off a passing score) then I took the CCNA courses and almost aced the exam 975 and 980 (CCENT and CCNA).
    Keep interviewing until you know it is for sure.

I am envious of your self studie for the CCNA. I self studied and failed it twice (once with a 839 and 842 yes that is 12 and 9 off a passing score) then I took the CCNA courses and almost aced the exam 975 and 980 (CCENT and CCNA).

Thanks.

I just didn't have the time to take the classes and I failed the NA once, the test crashed on me and I passed on my 3rd try. I took the full test (didn't even know there was a two test route to my second try) and it was a rough journey. I had no hands on exp with any routers besides Linksys devices. I had network+ level knowledge of networks and honestly I thought I was a bad ass because I knew way more than most people @ my helpdesk job (on 1st level anyway). I start my NA studies and realize how much of an idiot I was and how much of networking I did not understand. It was humbling.

I had an interview with a company a while back that made me realize how little I know about MS which is why I am doing the MCSA (and MCSA Security) because if I want to do security, I really have to know a little bit of everything.
    I actually think the MS tests I have taken so far are easy.... now with that said I have only taken 270, 271, and 272 all on XP.... something I am very comfortable with.... We will see on Monday how the 290 is. I will do fine on the sims but I haven't taken a server level test yet, so I am not sure what to expect question wise.
    I actually think the MS tests I have taken so far are easy.... now with that said I have only taken 270, 271, and 272 all on XP.... something I am very comfortable with.... We will see on Monday how the 290 is. I will do fine on the sims but I haven't taken a server level test yet, so I am not sure what to expect question wise.

Good luck!!

Are you just going to go for the MCSA or are you going all the way to the MCSE?
    Good luck!!

Are you just going to go for the MCSA or are you going all the way to the MCSE?

The plan is all the way to MCSE then upgrade. The reason.... I currently work with XP and Server 2k3 at work albeit on the Desktop Support side of things plus for my AAS degree I took the classes for 290, 291, and 294 so I already have the MS press books for these.

Now the Plan.... When my tuition reimbursment starts in July I plan to go to WGU to get my BS in computer networking and all these certs will eliminate required classes. So from now until July I am gonna try to sit for an exam every 3-4 weeks until I am there.

I also plan to so security+ and the CIW associate and professional just to elminate those classes.... Now in order to do this I just have to ignore my wife and daughter..... :-0
    Headed off to interview 1 of 3 this week. This is the job that I would rank number 2. It seems excellent but it is quite far away. The number 1 job has not called or emailed me yet (besides what I have already mentioned) and I actually emailed them because I wanted to send a better reference (I was having some trouble getting ahold of one of my references) and a better number for one of my references. I will post an update after the interview.

Wish me luck!!!
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Headed off to interview 1 of 3 this week. This is the job that I would rank number 2. It seems excellent but it is quite far away. The number 1 job has not called or emailed me yet (besides what I have already mentioned) and I actually emailed them because I wanted to send a better reference (I was having some trouble getting ahold of one of my references) and a better number for one of my references. I will post an update after the interview.

Wish me luck!!!

Good luck!
    Did the interview. I didn't really like the position, the person I interviewed with, or the implications of the position. Basically they want someone to work the help desk and do ONLY windows stuff. My certs would tell you that my skill set is in cisco (although I am working on rounding that out). When I was told about the position, I was told it would be mostly cisco and some windows support but that appears to be false. Also the person I interviewed with kept asking me the same questions (non-technical) and I kept giving him more and more answers but it seemed like he just wanted more. I felt meh about it.....

At any rate interviews 2 and 3 are tomorrow..
    Did the interview. I didn't really like the position, the person I interviewed with, or the implications of the position. Basically they want someone to work the help desk and do ONLY windows stuff. My certs would tell you that my skill set is in cisco (although I am working on rounding that out). When I was told about the position, I was told it would be mostly cisco and some windows support but that appears to be false. Also the person I interviewed with kept asking me the same questions (non-technical) and I kept giving him more and more answers but it seemed like he just wanted more. I felt meh about it.....

At any rate interviews 2 and 3 are tomorrow..

Good luck with those interviews. Sorry #2 turned out to be a number 2......
    No contact from number 1.

Interviews with number 3 and 4 in a little while.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't fret. Did the first interview give you any indication when they would be making a decision? Good luck on the other interviews!
    xmalachi wrote: »
    Don't fret. Did the first interview give you any indication when they would be making a decision? Good luck on the other interviews!

They said by the end of the month but I really need it to happen sooner than that since I start school at the end of the month and I need to finalize my class schedule.

One of my interviews got rescheduled (robert half) to Thursday so more 290 studies!
  • mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□

Sorry it didn't work out. I hate it when a job description is totally different to the actual job. I've been in interviews where it's over as soon as the interviewer speaks. Why can't they get the vacancy ad correct? It messes around with people's lives who think they've finally found a good opportunity.
    I got the sub contract job with geeks on the way. Now time for the network analysis
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I got the sub contract job with geeks on the way. Now time for the network analysis

Good. Sorry the other jobs were not as described on the tin..agencies..HR..hidden agenda..