what is the Standard imaging software for deploying new PC's

SmallguySmallguy Member Posts: 597
I remember years ago using Ghost to deploy systems but it looks more like a home user product now

am I mistaken ? or has the product been renamed?

we are gong to be purchasing over 30 systems and want to install a standard image with all our custom software

I want to be able to deploy a image form a server to several systems at a time to make the process more streamlined

Comments

• Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    If you already have a 2003 or 2008 server why not use Windows Deployment Services? its free.
  • mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    If you already have a 2003 or 2008 server why not use Windows Deployment Services? its free.

+1

We use WDS and it works really well.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Norton Ghost is probably the most common.
  • forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    Smallguy wrote: »
    I remember years ago using Ghost to deploy systems but it looks more like a home user product now

am I mistaken ? or has the product been renamed?

we are gong to be purchasing over 30 systems and want to install a standard image with all our custom software

I want to be able to deploy a image form a server to several systems at a time to make the process more streamlined

Symantec Ghost and Norton Ghost are different products for different markets. You want Symantec Ghost. I use it and WDS. I prefer WDS much more.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
    forkvoid wrote: »
    Symantec Ghost and Norton Ghost are different products for different markets. You want Symantec Ghost. I use it and WDS. I prefer WDS much more.

Altiris Deployment Solution if you can float the cash.
    "You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    forkvoid wrote: »

That was what I was thinking. I didn't know to much about WDS though...
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Another vote for WDS.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Paule123Paule123 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have always used Ghost or Altiris
  • crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    WDS or Altiris get my vote. Haven't used Ghost in a long time to say if its still any good.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    Windows Deployment Services is great for image deployment.... easy to configure and you can install many different image depends on per department or per location image configuration.
  • NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    We used ghost for a few months until we got SCCM up and running and I would never look back. The hardware required to run this and software costs usually turn people away when WDS is free but this is a great product.
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    We used ghost for a few months until we got SCCM up and running and I would never look back. The hardware required to run this and software costs usually turn people away when WDS is free but this is a great product.

SCCM is fantastic when you get past about 500 machines. Up to that point WDS works well.

I don't think SCCM should be looked at as a competitor to WDS but rather an advancement and enhancement of the technology for a bigger entity.