Passed 083-640 today, 23/02/2010

mathelizemathelize Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
I passed MCTS 83-640 today with 883. I'm not happy about the score. I was hoping for something like 950 and above. I watched Trainsignal videos and used MCTS Windows Server 2008 Active Directory Configuration Study Guide by William Panek and James Chellis. I tried to use Microsoft self paced but I thought to myself it was too in depth. So, I put the pdf download to one side and concentrated on the videos and the book by Panek and Chellis. Next will be 70-642, hopefully by the end of next month.

N.B - I have one HP Proliant server with 2 x 74GB HD, 2 x 3.4GHZ processor, 6GB memory and one Dell server with 2 x 500GB HD, 2 x 2.0GHZ (Dual Core) processor, 8GB memory.
In my Lab
I have access to any cisco equipment I need

Comments

• ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    Congrats on the pass. I am working on the 640 exam myself at the moment. On your servers how did you have them set up? Did you use virtualization or just each physical machine as one server? Do you have any tips to point me towards?

Thanks and congrats again.
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    Pass is a pass. My 83-640 was in the high 700's and I was studying for over 2 months on that one. Don't panic about it. In MS world, it's only pass or fail. There is nothing else.

Congrats. 883 is a very nice score. You should be proud.
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete
  • mathelizemathelize Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    ajmatson wrote: »
    Congrats on the pass. I am working on the 640 exam myself at the moment. On your servers how did you have them set up? Did you use virtualization or just each physical machine as one server? Do you have any tips to point me towards?

Thanks and congrats again.

Yeah, I used VM a lot. I tried Hyper V as well on the Dell server because it supports Hyper V, but to me, it's easier to navigate on VMware. It's better not to use the physical machines at all because you might need to be reinstalling and reconfiguring. Use vmware on physical and set the memory to 512mb. That's enough to do most tasks.
    In my Lab
    I have access to any cisco equipment I need
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! icon_thumright.gif you beat my 833! icon_silent.gif
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    i think you should be thankful you passed and that you didn't have to reschedule the test because it crashed on you. I have seen posts in other forums where people have had to reschedule like 4 or 5 times because the exam has crashed.