Iso 20000

Do any of you guys have experience with being ISO 20000 compliant?

We achieved this compliance about a year ago and I'm just curious if having experience with it will ever help get a job in the future.

A lot of the processes involved with staying compliant seem to be unnecessary but a few of them are nice to have whenever I need to go back and find things.
Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
* Sec+ 2008
* MCSA

Currently Studying for:
* 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
* 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
* 70-647 Server 2008
* 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA

Comments

• eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    JrSysAdmin wrote: »
    Do any of you guys have experience with being ISO 20000 compliant?

We achieved this compliance about a year ago and I'm just curious if having experience with it will ever help get a job in the future.

A lot of the processes involved with staying compliant seem to be unnecessary but a few of them are nice to have whenever I need to go back and find things.

I have quite a bit of experience with helping organizations adopt this.

As far as will it help you, that all depends on what type of job you might be pursuing in the future.

There are individual certifications around ISO/IEC 20000, typically for auditors that assess an organization's readiness and consultants that help organizations meet the standard. Exin has a whole series of certifications that cover different parts of the standard from an individual perspective. They even have a "Foundation Level" certification.

If you intend to go into the business of auditing or consulting around ISO/IEC 20000, then you would have to have one or more of these certifications. These are very difficult to obtain and very rare worldwide. If you simply wanted to show a company that you're familiar with ISO/IEC 20000 and the concepts, then listing it as a bullet point on your resume is likely to suffice.

Without a doubt, ISO/IEC 20000 will be come more popular in the next 5-10 years, so being about to show knowledge about it might be helpful.

MS
  • SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    Are you an ISO 20000 consultant? We had a consultant come in when we were working to gain compliance. They were helpful in reaching our goal but we really didn't realize a lot of parts of the compliance until they left and we were actually doing the work on our own.

I don't think I'd want to be an auditor or consultant for this, was more just curious about whether or not it would help my resume as a sys admin.

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

BTW, we went after this compliance to give us an edge when bidding on federal contracts. When we first got it I think there were only a couple of other small companies who had achieved it (less than 100 employees, under $25M revenue). I don't know if we have won any contracts because of it but I guess it can't hurt.
    Current Certifications:

* Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:

Future Plans:

* 70-647 Server 2008
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are you an ISO 20000 consultant?

Yes, I've done work with some financial services companies that were some of the early adopters.
    We had a consultant come in when we were working to gain compliance. They were helpful in reaching our goal but we really didn't realize a lot of parts of the compliance until they left and we were actually doing the work on our own.

I'd certainly be glad to offer my services to your company in this area if you feel that there's a need.
    I don't think I'd want to be an auditor or consultant for this, was more just curious about whether or not it would help my resume as a sys admin.

I think it might help to show some familiarity. So listing that you worked as part of a successful ISO/IEC 20000 program on your resume would show that. At this point it will also significantly distinguish you from others that do the same type of work.
    BTW, we went after this compliance to give us an edge when bidding on federal contracts. When we first got it I think there were only a couple of other small companies who had achieved it (less than 100 employees, under $25M revenue). I don't know if we have won any contracts because of it but I guess it can't hurt.

This is becoming more and more common. Many federal agencies have taken a liking to ISO/IEC 20000. There are rumors (nothing more than that at the moment) that at some point in the future that all government agencies will require all IT-related vendors to be ISO/IEC 20000 certified. Personally I have my doubts as to the veracity of this rumor, but will gladly cash the checks from the various companies that will surely seek my services when and if they need to become certified. As in all of these types of things, please think about how it helps ME! :)

MS
  • SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    We used Consult 2 Comply as our consultant when getting things squared away. I'm guessing they aren't big enough for you to be familiar with them...they are based out of Northern Virginia where we are and clearly you are a long way from us down there in TX.
    Current Certifications:

* Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:

Future Plans:

* 70-647 Server 2008