Options

KVM Switch question

dadajidadaji Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
Can I use a wireless mouse plugged into a KVM switch?
I have 2 computers but one keyboard and one mouse and I would like to use a wireless mouse instead of wired. Can I use it? Anybody used it before or have any kind of issues with it?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Depends on the KVM, and things like if it's USB or PS2. In my experience, it will more likely work if it's PS2. Some KVMs are more compatible/better than others.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    dadajidadaji Member Posts: 96 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The PS2 will not work. The reason being I want to use wireless mouse and the receiver for my wireless mouse are USB and not PS2.

Thank you.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You can get KVMs that do switch USB but depending on the KVM, the wireless receiver and the drivers itself it may or may not work.

The software on the PC that handles the wireless receiver might forget what channel the mouse is on every time you switch.
    The KVM may handle keyboards and mice by simulating the presence of one when it isn't actually connected to the PC. This won't work with a wirelss receiver.

Basically the answer is maybe but don't get your hopes up. You'll have to actually try it to see.
  • Options
    unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    Do your research, look through Amazon or epinions for specific models. You can slso pick-up an inexpensive ($10 last I checked) two port USB KVM at Radio Shack.
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman