Options

Looking for some IT career advice (25U about to ETS from Army)

2»

Comments

• Options
    ck86ck86 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info.

From my research what you have said Dr Atomic tends to be the opposite of what I've been hearing. I think with certain military jobs it may be ideal to consider OCS then hanging out until retirement, but I don't think IT is really one if them. Though I'll admit it is in the back of my head for a last-ditch, I think I'd rather jump on a civilian contractor job and head right back to Afghanistan than deal with more time in the Army. It looks like the hardest part of breaking into the IT field is getting those initial years of experience. Would I be considered having "5 years experience" based on what I've done in the Army?

The info about certifications is noted. I've looked over the material for the CompTIA security+ and network+ and it seems just like a refresher of knowledge I've picked up through what I've done. Is it not worth it to just pay the bucks and pick up both certs just to have?
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    What field are you looking into again? I would at least invest in security+. I think it shows companies that you have a decent understanding of what is required to protect the company's information, and what threats their networks face. Outside of the TIA certs, you may want to aim your certs at a technology you want to support, or what a specific company needs.
  • Options
    ck86ck86 Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SephStorm, Network Engineering is the plan.
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Wow, another thread I forgot about. I was hoping some of you fellow military types have LinkedIn accounts?