Options

Should I buy MCTS 70-680 by I.McLean, O.Thomas ?

Matt27[lt]Matt27[lt] Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm preparing to take the 70-680 exam and got myself a book "MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-680): Configuring Windows 7" by Ian McLean, Orin Thomas. Unfortunately without a DVD, so I can't take practice tests. Tried to google for DVD (don't judge me), but the only *.iso I found was corrupted (I guess). Every time I tried to install practice tests, installation was interrupted because of "missing cab file". Already, half way through the book and I like what I see. I'm ready to buy it, but... In my country it cost about 100 dollars - that's to much for me. Good for me, my friend is ready to buy it from amazon.co.uk and send it to me for only 45 dollars. My questions are:
1. Does anyone else (who installed practice tests) experienced "missing cab file" error? Would be awesome to buy the book and get DVD with broken cab file.
2. Is there a place, there I can buy only a DVD?
3. Maybe I'd better pay the same amount of money to some online practice test center? But which one?

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    transcenders is the most popular practice exam company. Dont know if they have any 70-680 out yet though.
  • Options
    shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    transcenders is the most popular practice exam company. Dont know if they have any 70-680 out yet though.

Looks like they do now!
    Microsoft
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Does a reacharound come with that 119$ PDF? eesh
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm planing to take the exam at the end of next month, using the second shot offer, if I fail I will buy practice exams for the second shot.

I will be using the students exams, Actually re-taking the exam if I fail the second time is cheaper than buying these practice tests icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    zippie666zippie666 Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    wd40 wrote: »
    I will be using the students exams, Actually re-taking the exam if I fail the second time is cheaper than buying these practice tests icon_lol.gif
    Make sure you'll register at Student Certification Discounts first, you'll get a great discounticon_cheers.gif
    Current cert:
    MCSA: Windows 7, 8 & Server 2008
    EXIN ITIL v3 Foundation
    EXIN ISO 27002 Foundations
    CIW Web Professional
  • Options
    Dilan-LTDilan-LT Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i have book, just look PM....
  • Options
    Dracula28Dracula28 Member Posts: 232
    Keep in mind that there are quite a few errors in the book. There are two errata pages, but even then all the errors have not been adressed.

Amazon.com: Customer Discussions: 70-680 Errata Thread

MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-680): Configuring Windows® 7 comments and corrections

The syntax for unmounting images with dism on Page 119 is wrong, but has not been adressed. Not to forget the continuity error on the same page. It is damn annoying to get wrong syntaxes all the time.

Correct command; dism /Unmount-Wim /MountDir:c:\img (/commit or /discard).
    Current certs: MCP (210) MCSA (270, 290, 291 and 680) MCTS (680, 640)
  • Options
    eserfelizeserfeliz Member Posts: 134
    Matt27[lt] wrote: »
    1. Does anyone else (who installed practice tests) experienced "missing cab file" error? Would be awesome to buy the book and get DVD with broken cab file.
    2. Is there a place, there I can buy only a DVD?
    3. Maybe I'd better pay the same amount of money to some online practice test center? But which one?

Here's the link for the practice tests, it's located in the first chapter:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=163947
    MCP, HDI-SCA, MCDST, Network+, MCTS: W7C, MCITP: EDST7, BS: MIS

In progress: MCSA (70-290 & 70-291), CCENT, CCA XenDesktop 5
  • Options
    MicrosoftmanMicrosoftman Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This response is for matt27. I highly advise that you buy the book or see if you can get the ebook. It is the best way to maxmize your performance on the exams. Microsoft Press books are filled with real-world examples, chapter reviews, lesson summaries, case senarios, etc. These features allow to prepare to tackle these tough exams. These books also follow the offical microsoft curriculum. There is a DVD that comes with it that will provide you with practice tests. If you really want to get practice test software to help you prepare I would look into transcender practice exams. Theses exams are written and critiqued by industry experts in the field of Information Technology and include flashcard quizzes, and different exam modes to assist you in the exam preparation process.
  • Options
    Matt27[lt]Matt27[lt] Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the advices. I was politely reminded about legality of *.iso file I obtained. I want to say I do not endorse piracy or other illegal activity. This Sunday I ordered the book with DVD from amazon.co.uk and a friend will bring it in Lithuania on March 19th.
    Irony is, this Tuesday I got a PM, from this forum member (he lives in the same city), who has the book with DVD and is happy to share it with me. Well, I'm going to have to books and two dvd icon_cheers.gif.
    Thought about canceling my order, but the book is already on the way so I'm going to keep it.
    Thanks for errata pages - I'll keep it in mind.