Options

pay while travelling

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
I've never had to travel as part of my job, but there is an opportunity involving extensive traveling. I know it can vary, but overall do they pay you for your travel time? So let's say I have to travel to a different city, stay in hotel for the night, do the job the next day and return the next day, e.g. 48 hours total time, but the job was only 8 hours.

I just wanna get a sense, so I can negotiate a deal.

Comments

• Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    binarysoul wrote: »
    I've never had to travel as part of my job, but there is an opportunity involving extensive traveling. I know it can vary, but overall do they pay you for your travel time? So let's say I have to travel to a different city, stay in hotel for the night, do the job the next day and return the next day, e.g. 48 hours total time, but the job was only 8 hours.

I just wanna get a sense, so I can negotiate a deal.

Most often not. Travel to and from the job is usually unpaid.

There are exceptions. At one brief spin as a contractor I had I was paid for travel to and from, but it's rare....

My advice, if this is a full-time job then you're stuck with whatever policy the company has. If you are doing contract work, then work some compensation for your travel time into your hourly or daily rate.

MS
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    When I use to do this kind of thing I would get paid for drive time, if the place was 4 hours away or whatever. You don't get paid for the time sleeping at a hotel or anything. But usually actual travel time I would, including flights...
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What sort of travel would the new position require; international, in-state, out-state?

Where I'm at right now, we get paid for windshield time. But all of us cover a large territories and spend consider amounts of daily in-state travel. If we spend the night out, we're reimbursed for our meals and hotel.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    We get to sxpense anything such as mileage for our cars, flights, food, hotels, etc which is normal. We get to bill half time for our actual traveling time, but not for "rest" periods like sleeping in a hotel.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    All of our analysts, myself included, are on salary. I've had to travel 5 out of my last 8 weekend days in addition to putting in 40-50 hours during the week. Some of those trips were 12-15 hours too. I think I've gotten about two hours of restless sleep in the last 26 hours. I'm going to try to put a solid 10 hours into Bioshock 2 before I pass out and get back on a normal sleep schedule icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    As a contractor my travel and prep time has always been billable.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!