Options

New game DRM madness

tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed 2 has a new DRM system that requires you to be online all the time when you're playing the game. If you lose connection at any point then it will stop the game, lose your progress and refuse to allow you to continue without it reconnecting. All your save game data is kept on the remote server so if you lose the connection then it can't save.

The limited activation systems that exist in other games is pretty bad already but this is just stupid. If you don't have an always on connection at home then you're screwed. If your internet goes down for any reason then you're screwed. If you travel with a laptop and therefore don't have an always on connection then you're screwed. If you're posted abroad by the military or as a job without an unrestricted internet connection then again, you're screwed.

They also restrict you from reselling the game by linking it all to your online account.

How long before a game cracker reverse engineers the protocol and creates a server you can run yourself? All this DRM does is drive people who legitimately own the game nuts.

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed 2 has a new DRM system that requires you to be online all the time when you're playing the game. If you lose connection at any point then it will stop the game, lose your progress and refuse to allow you to continue without it reconnecting. All your save game data is kept on the remote server so if you lose the connection then it can't save.

The limited activation systems that exist in other games is pretty bad already but this is just stupid. If you don't have an always on connection at home then you're screwed. If your internet goes down for any reason then you're screwed. If you travel with a laptop and therefore don't have an always on connection then you're screwed. If you're posted abroad by the military or as a job without an unrestricted internet connection then again, you're screwed.

They also restrict you from reselling the game by linking it all to your online account.

How long before a game cracker reverse engineers the protocol and creates a server you can run yourself? All this DRM does is drive people who legitimately own the game nuts.

That is crazy.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The thing that gets me is that these games are always cracked early on and the only people it affects are the people who bought it.

All the DRM/RIAA/MPAA shenanigans have dropped my entertainment spending down to next to nothing. I don't pirate anything; I just find other things to do. About the only thing I have is a Netflix subscription. I'm not going to buy movies I can't easily copy to my laptop, iPod, etc. I think it's been about two years since I bought a CD. I've coincidentally stopped going to shows too. I used to go to one or two a month, but again, it's been years. The value I get from a lot of this stuff just isn't worth the hassle and expense.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What platform does that apply too? or is it across the board? so does it mean you cant play the game if you dont have an online account etc, say Xbox live?

That is simply crazy! if thats the case then it would put me off buying the game anyway. besides i bought/played the first and wont be buying the 2nd as a result :D...too repititive for my liking.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    nel wrote: »
    What platform does that apply too? or is it across the board? so does it mean you cant play the game if you dont have an online account etc, say Xbox live?

That is simply crazy! if thats the case then it would put me off buying the game anyway. besides i bought/played the first and wont be buying the 2nd as a result :D...too repititive for my liking.

PC. The consoles have better (not perfect) controls built in.