Options

Monitoring/Alerts

cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,

I was just about to post my own question regards to monitoring and I see field monkey beat me to it. I'm a new network engineer and I'm looking to make some improvements at the site that I work at. We have a sister site that uses orion for network monitoring but for reasons I won't go into we cannot use this at my site. However we do have a need to monitor our network devices so that alerts can be sent to make us aware of any failures etc. Just recently One of our Cisco ASA's failed over to the standby ASA and stayed like that for a while without us knowing and this lead to an issue. I see in field monkeys post some of you refered to spiceworks. Is this any good for network monitoring I.E would I be able to set up alerts if the Primary ASA failed over the standy and to monitor Important interfaces etc. Or is there any other free monitoring anyone can suggest.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    I have tried a lot of things and the one thing i can recommend without a doubt is Nagios. It is very widely used in the enterprise and will do everything you need with all the plug-ins available. If you want a quick start try this:
    FAN: Fully Automated Nagios
    it is nagios installed with a gui front end and some other tools. All you have to do is add your services/hosts.
  • Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    We currently use Hostmonitor (Advanced Network Monitoring - HostMonitor). Can't I if I would recommend it or not, as its the first monitoring system I have had my hands in, and was setup before my time.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    cjthedj45 wrote: »
    I see in field monkeys post some of you refered to spiceworks. Is this any good for network monitoring I.E would I be able to set up alerts if the Primary ASA failed over the standy and to monitor Important interfaces etc. Or is there any other free monitoring anyone can suggest.

Thanks

In my opinion, spiceworks sucks. It tries to be a good product but it fails miserably.

I use Cacti with the thold plugin and it works great. It also does snmp graphing which can be useful. I highly recommend it.