Virtual Box assistance..Please?

m1chaelm1chael Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
Quick question...I have 2 vm's running on a xp host. One vm is 2003 server and the other is xp prof. I can ping by machine name and ip address from both vm's and get a response. However, I cannot figure out for the life of me how to get the xp prof vm to join the domain I created? I have tried both bridged networking and internal only but nothing seems to work...keep getting the dns error message.

I have the 2003 server vm as a DC but not using dns config or dhcp config as my home network router takes care of that and I did not want to screw anything up. Anyway, the strangest thing seems to be occurring, I successfully added a different computer (a non vm) to the domain several weeks ago. Now that was before I loaded up xp prof as a vm and now I just want to use vm's for my studies which are located all on the same test pc...I do not want to use a separate pc. Not sure if that helps...but I am stumped?

Thanks,
Michael

Comments

• crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    What is the ipconfig results from your dc and xp vm? Sounds to me like one of two things are happening:

1. Your xp vm isn't pointed towards your dc for dns.
    2. Firewalls maybe turned on that is preventing it from joining.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • m1chaelm1chael Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    crrussell3 wrote: »
    What is the ipconfig results from your dc and xp vm? Sounds to me like one of two things are happening:

1. Your xp vm isn't pointed towards your dc for dns.
    2. Firewalls maybe turned on that is preventing it from joining.

Thanks for your assistance....ipconfig results are within my LAN range...server box vm is 192.168.0.15 and xp vm is 192.168.0.16 / subnet the same 255.255.255.0 / and dns is same dns as my host is configured as...ISP info

1. That is correct...my xp vm dns info is pointed towards the host dns info becse my server box vm is not configured for dns resolution...(unless I should make it configured for dns...but I did not have to do this when I added a totally separate machine to the AD domain and it worked?)

2. I was not aware that firewalls would inhibit pc's from joining domains within the same LAN?

Any other suggestions...anyone...anyone:)

Thanks,
    Michael
  • MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Double check your DC to see if it has DNS installed and configured. If you accepted the defaults when you ran dcpromo, then DNS was installed and configured on your DC.

As mentioned by Northbr1dge, the client has to have it's DNS server configured as the DC IP address to be able to join the domain. The easiest thing to do is just statically assign the DNS settings on the client.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    m1chael wrote: »
    1. That is correct...my xp vm dns info is pointed towards the host dns info becse my server box vm is not configured for dns resolution...(unless I should make it configured for dns...but I did not have to do this when I added a totally separate machine to the AD domain and it worked?)

2. I was not aware that firewalls would inhibit pc's from joining domains within the same LAN?

1. There is no AD without DNS being configured on the domain controller. If the server is not configures for DNS nothing will be able to join the domain properly.

2. Yes, a firewall could do that if the required ports are filtered.
    Ok guys....thanks for your assistance...think I understand now. I understand I need to do 2 things: change the role on my server vm to act as dns server and two change the dns settings on my xp vm to the ip address of my server vm.

Only thing I am having trouble with is figuring out how to keep the two networks separate like a few of you suggested? Basically, how do I not let my "test lab" interfere with my home LAN? if that makes sense?

And another thing, when I go into the server vm to add a new role of the dns configuration it prompts me for sp2 cd...which I have not downloaded and not sure what to do at this point?

Thanks...sorry for the crazy questions...I think I may be almost there:)

Addtl guidance if you will.....Thanks
    Michael
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    m1chael wrote: »
    Ok guys....thanks for your assistance...think I understand now. I understand I need to do 2 things: change the role on my server vm to act as dns server and two change the dns settings on my xp vm to the ip address of my server vm.

Only thing I am having trouble with is figuring out how to keep the two networks separate like a few of you suggested? Basically, how do I not let my "test lab" interfere with my home LAN? if that makes sense?

And another thing, when I go into the server vm to add a new role of the dns configuration it prompts me for sp2 cd...which I have not downloaded and not sure what to do at this point?

Thanks...sorry for the crazy questions...I think I may be almost there:)

Addtl guidance if you will.....Thanks
    Michael

Use whatever cd you used to install the server OS.

I take a different tack to what people suggest about a seperate network. I say keep your VM up and running 24/7 and let it be the DNS server for your LAN. Figure out how to set things up so that the server provides DHCP and DNS for your network and not your home router.

This will provide you with some more practical experience and help you remmeber things better.
    Just wanted to say thanks to all that replied. I was successful in my attempt to setup the DNS role on my VM server and was able to join my other XP VM to the domain. So with that said, I am off to practice labs in my MS Press Book so I can take my test very very soon:)

Michael