Options

Sdm 2.5 eol

medicmedic Member Posts: 116 ■■■□□□□□□□
I received an email (below) today from Cisco saying SDM 2.5 is reaching End Of Life.

I guess we will soon be seeing changes to the CCNA:Security exam topics to cover CCP instead of SDM?

Hi,

I am the Product Manager for Cisco Router and Security Device Manager (SDM).

You are receiving this mail because you have downloaded a copy of SDM 2.5 from Shortcut Redirect - Cisco Systems in the last 60 days.

We are currently in the process of initiating the End of Life for SDM.

SDM will now be replaced by Cisco Configuration Professional (CCP). A copy of the latest version CCP 2.1 is available for a free download from Shortcut Redirect - Cisco Systems.

CCP incorporates all the functionality of SDM and has added support for the following:

Ø Additional security feature configurations like GETVPN

Ø Wireless

Ø Unified Communications (CME, CUE, SRST, CME as SRST)

Ø New interfaces such as 3G

Ø The new ISR G2 routers

Ø We will also continue to enhance existing security features in CCP in future releases

Some additional resources:

List of router platforms supported: Release Notes for Cisco Configuration Professional 2.1 [Cisco Configuration Professional] - Cisco Systems

Link to download CCP 2.1 image: Cisco.com Login Page

File name: cisco-config-pro-k9-pkg-2_1-en.zip

Regards,

Shankar

Shankar Ramachandran
Technical Marketing Engineer
Access Routing Technology Group

sharamac@cisco.com

Cisco Systems, Inc.
170 West Tasman Drive,
San Jose, CA 95134-1706
USA
Cisco Systems, Inc

Comments

• Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    UUUUGH. I don't love SDM in the least but the CCP is such a bloated pig icon_sad.gif
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
  • Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    pitviper wrote: »
    UUUUGH. I don't love SDM in the least but the CCP is such a bloated pig icon_sad.gif
    In my experience CCP does work better than SDM by a long way. They seem to have taken the good bits of SDM and improved them for CCP. You are right about the bloat. It takes ages for it to load.
    CCP only supports ISR and ISR-G2 routers.

Release Notes for Cisco Configuration Professional 2.1
    Yeah! I hope they don't rush to adopt CCP in the exams, there's going to be loads of home labs not up to the job of running CCP.

I would be surprised if they revise the exams for a while though, the CCNA Security security cert is only about 18 months old after all.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    roghanroghan Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    medic wrote: »
    I received an email (below) today from Cisco saying SDM 2.5 is reaching End Of Life. [...]

I received this mail, too... icon_surprised.gif
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    While I like some of the features that were in SDM, I rarely used it. I always had a completely awful time getting it to play well unless you had just the right version of Java installed. Really irked me as much money as we give to Cisco and they can't build a decent Java app that's going to work and load reliably.

Not going to miss it here, I'll stick to the CLI. The only downside will be my co-worker who is CLI stupid and refuses to learn it.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Really irked me as much money as we give to Cisco and they can't build a decent Java app that's going to work and load reliably.
    SDM from what I gather was more of a panic reaction to the shiny new GUIs coming from competitors like Juniper. SDM was just bolted ontop of the existing CLI which as you know isn't particularly logical in its layout or design. If your configuration doesn't conform to format that SDM expects then it'll blow up when you start up SDM even though the configuration is actually valid and accepted by the CLI.

Although strictly speaking, you're not giving Cisco any money for SDM since its free ;)