Options

Virtual Machine 64 bits

impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
I have Windows 7 64 in one HP laptop and I have one desktop computer running Windows 2008 64 bits. I installed virtual box or VMware and I got some error when I boot a Virtual Machine with 64 ISO (in this case windows 2003 64 bits).

I read in many site that I have to enable hardware virtualization in the BIOS, but I do not have that oprtion in the BIOS in both machines. I am trying to run windows 2003 and echange 64 bits, how do you solves this kind of problems or Does the hardware virtualization kill me?

I read somewhere that you can run Hyper on the machine or something like that. How can I do that?

Thanks.
Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

Comments

• Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I dont have an answer for you but I experienced a similar issue a few weeks ago. I wanted to test some old software before on Windows 7 x64 and since i didnt have a machine running it I decided to create a virtualbox VM and it said it could access the 64 bit system even though it was enabled in the BIOS. I tried the samething with Vmware and got a similar error. I eventually gaveup and made that same system a dual boot and it worked with no problem.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    impelse wrote: »
    I have Windows 7 64 in one HP laptop and I have one desktop computer running Windows 2008 64 bits. I installed virtual box or VMware and I got some error when I boot a Virtual Machine with 64 ISO (in this case windows 2003 64 bits).

I read in many site that I have to enable hardware virtualization in the BIOS, but I do not have that oprtion in the BIOS in both machines. I am trying to run windows 2003 and echange 64 bits, how do you solves this kind of problems or Does the hardware virtualization kill me?

I read somewhere that you can run Hyper on the machine or something like that. How can I do that?

Thanks.
    To run a 64-bit guest you will need to enable hardware virtualization extensions on your CPU, if they exist. Many 64-bit CPUs don't have these extensions (AMD-V for AMD CPUs, VT-x for Intel CPUs). Even if your CPU supports the extensions, your motherboard might not be able to enable it.

You need to determine if your CPU supports virtualization extensions. One way is to check Wikipedia, which has lists of CPUs with their features (List of Intel Core 2 microprocessors, List of AMD Phenom microprocessors, etc.).

Once you've confirmed your CPU supports them, you need to figure out the virtualization extensions can be enabled on your motherboard. Check your motherboard manual or call tech support to find this out.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You need to determine if your CPU supports virtualization extensions. One way is to check Wikipedia, which has lists of CPUs with their features (List of Intel Core 2 microprocessors, List of AMD Phenom microprocessors, etc.).

Lazy way: GRC|SecurAble: Determine Processor Security Features| icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »

I used that software in my Windows 7 laptop last night, but I was not user about it. I already found one machined that passed the hardware virtualization, so I will test it, otherwise I will need to get a physical computer for that (I do not know after I begin to work with virtual machines I do not want to put together to much hardware, jajajajaja).
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I really hate it that hardware virtualization extensions are only offered on select CPU's. This should be standard on all new CPU's. My core 2 duo on my laptop does not have it icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Thanks, I actually read about that tool in Mastering Microsoft Virtualization. I didn't mention it because in certain cases it won't detect the hardware virtualization extensions. If they are already in use them, the check will fail.

The book mentions some other tools as well, so I went ahead and tested them all on my test machine with Hyper-V installed and running (screenshot here: http://i48.tinypic.com/mj7rds.png):

CPU-Z (seems to fail, doesn't show that Intel VT is supported anywhere)
    Intel Processor Identification Utility (fails check... says "No" for Intel VT)
    AMD Hyper-V Compatibility Check Utility (indirectly successful... it detects if Hyper-V is running)
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I didn't mention it because in certain cases it won't detect the hardware virtualization extensions. If they are already in use them, the check will fail.

The book mentions some other tools as well, so I went ahead and tested them all on my test machine with Hyper-V installed and running (screenshot here: http://i48.tinypic.com/mj7rds.png):

CPU-Z (seems to fail, doesn't show that Intel VT is supported anywhere)
    Intel Processor Identification Utility (fails check... says "No" for Intel VT)
    AMD Hyper-V Compatibility Check Utility (indirectly successful... it detects if Hyper-V is running)
    The utilities aren't buggy or broken. You can't use the hardware virtualization extensions whilst inside a VM which you would be if you're running Hyper-V. Hopefully you'd know that you're running a hypervisor anyway and not need a utility to check :P

If your motherboard + CPU supports hardware virtualization and its enabled and your OS isn't actually using it and nothing is actively disabling it but all the utilities think that hardware virtualization isn't present then you might be rooted. All the virtualization rootkits so far have been research projects and I don't believe any of them have been found in the wild yet but I'd assume they'd eventually appear...
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Outside of a hypervisor, that functionality may be present but disabled in the BIOS.