One week until ICND1

bcall64bcall64 Member Posts: 156
Ok well I've gone through the Wendall Odom book and all of the cbt nuggets videos. I built an actual lab and got everything working there. Now it's time to take practice tests. My exam is in 7 days. I'm a bit nervous with this being my first IT exam but I honestly think I will do pretty well. Anyone have any advice on their experience with their first IT exam?

Comments

• Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Know subnetting like the back of your hand. Even if its not being asked as a direct question, many times it will be needed indirectly or as part of a solution.

Write down your powers of 2.

During the next week... Labs, labs and labs! Try creating your own diagrams, play with different subnets and look at how they work on the routers. View the different show commands to do this.

Chew some gum.... It helps me, for some reason I get dry mouth and trouble breathing during exams, the gum chewing alleviates that sensation and takes some of the nervous edge away.

Best of Luck!
  • bcall64bcall64 Member Posts: 156
    Know subnetting like the back of your hand. Even if its not being asked as a direct question, many times it will be needed indirectly or as part of a solution.

Write down your powers of 2.

During the next week... Labs, labs and labs! Try creating your own diagrams, play with different subnets and look at how they work on the routers. View the different show commands to do this.

Chew some gum.... It helps me, for some reason I get dry mouth and trouble breathing during exams, the gum chewing alleviates that sensation and takes some of the nervous edge away.

Best of Luck!

Thanks I will do that! I'm nervous but I think I should be ok.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Oh, one more thing... Check out subnettingquestions.com for about 15 minutes to a half hour each day until the exam. You should be to the point where you are solving subnet mask questions on the website in 30 seconds or less.
  • DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Oh, one more thing... Check out subnettingquestions.com for about 15 minutes to a half hour each day until the exam. You should be to the point where you are solving subnet mask questions on the website in 30 seconds or less.

This site is what helped me pass CCENT last Tuesday.

I suggest knowing show commands such as: cdp neighbors detail, [ip] interfaces, version, controller serial slot#/port#.

Be able to build a unknown topology (logical and physical) using the show commands.

Also one of the biggest things that helped me was to implement various ip/subbnetting schemes in my lab; for instance implement a class A scheme with different subnets, then change it over to a class B, then C.

Other than that a good nights sleep before the test day and something small to eat before the test never hurt either.