Options

Western Governors University

SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
I just wanted to apologize about any comments made regarding WGU. I asked what I thought was a perfectly reasonable question only to be met with a sarcastic response which I didn't react to appropriately.

After researching the university it appears to be heads and shoulders above the rest of the online-only universities with better accreditation than any of its competitors, with a more selective application process.

My apologies to anybody I may have offended, this is obviously a quality university which I simply was not familiar with. I may even look at getting my MBA there if I like what I hear.

bowing.gif
Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
* Sec+ 2008
* MCSA

Currently Studying for:
* 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
* 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
* 70-647 Server 2008
* 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    According to my adviser WGU should have NSA/CAE accreditation soon as well. Just FYI! icon_wink.gif

Centers of Academic Excellence - Institutions - NSA/CSS
  • Options
    cleanwithitcleanwithit Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    According to my adviser WGU should have NSA/CAE accreditation soon as well. Just FYI! icon_wink.gif

This is good news to me. I'll probably start at the beginning of next year. How has your experience been thus far, Veritas?
    A+, Network +, Linux +, MCP, MCTS, CCENT

A.S Network Administration
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    JrSysAdmin: Thanks for doing some research and taking the time admit you might have been a little quick to criticize it.
  • Options
    How has your experience been thus far, Veritas?

Well I FINALLY got started today so I can't say to much yet. I will mention that my entry experience was excellent, and my adviser a fellow IT geek. Tonight I am going to knock of EWOB (Orientation) which should be breeze. I might put together a posting on my experience at WGU if people are really interested.
  • Options
    SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    Well I FINALLY got started today so I can't say to much yet. I will mention that my entry experience was excellent, and my adviser a fellow IT geek. Tonight I am going to knock of EWOB (Orientation) which should be breeze. I might put together a posting on my experience at WGU if people are really interested.

I would definitely be interested, please do.
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□

Please do share. I am interested in hearing as I hope to start in April.
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289

I just started today as well and am already 20% thru EWB :) So far the application and intro experience has been great. WGU is very thorough with their material and it took me only 30 minutes to get started learn my way around the learning process there.
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    thomAZthomAZ Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi all! I just finished WFV1 (IT Fundamentals) today by taking the CIW foundations exam. I've also finished EWB and LAE1 back in JAN. Now on to the Research Paper LAT1 and Integrated Natural Science INC1. So far nothing but good things to say about the school. A lot better than my last online university experience!
    In Progress: Currently enrolled in WGU: Studying for Net+

Degree: A.A.S Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□

Any word on a time frame on that? Or which degree programs will be accredited?
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    JrSysAdmin: Thanks for doing some research and taking the time admit you might have been a little quick to criticize it.

Definitely. That's the mark of a stand-up guy.

Edit: And I just saw, only 7 classes left to go for me.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cablegod wrote: »
    Edit: And I just saw, only 7 classes left to go for me.

With the recent changes, I had 4 courses waived, so I'm down to 7 classes, too:

LET1
    CLC1
    TPV1
    MGC1
    ORC1
    TWA1
    CPW3
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JrSysAdmin wrote: »
    I just wanted to apologize about any comments made regarding WGU. I asked what I thought was a perfectly reasonable question only to be met with a sarcastic response which I didn't react to appropriately.

After researching the university it appears to be heads and shoulders above the rest of the online-only universities with better accreditation than any of its competitors, with a more selective application process.

My apologies to anybody I may have offended, this is obviously a quality university which I simply was not familiar with. I may even look at getting my MBA there if I like what I hear.

bowing.gif

I should have replied in the other thread, but I wasn't trying to be a jerk in the other thread - I just wanted to give you a hard time. Looking back, my post did seem a bit harsh but it wasn't intended :)

I've been enjoying the school thus far, although I'm only just a month into my program. The mentor's seem really nice and are good about trying to push and motivate you but not pressuring you to the point of causing a ton of stress. It's pretty laid back yet they do seem to take things very seriously. I found another student whom linked to a brain **** as a study aid in the community (forum essentially) for the CWSP exam which happens to be a "final exam" of sorts for the Wireless Security course I am enrolled in. I sent a brief note about the offending material to the community leader as well as my mentor and it was very promptly removed which I thought was nice. I've been at other schools where such behavior was overlooked even if reported.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Did any of you guys transfer in with an AAS? I am kind of curious how much of my degree would transfer into WGU. My other option is a school that has a capstone option that would completely transfer my AAS. Also, does WGU prepare you thoroughly for your certs? I appreciate any answers that you guys can provide :)
  • Options
    xmalachi wrote: »
    Did any of you guys transfer in with an AAS? I am kind of curious how much of my degree would transfer into WGU. My other option is a school that has a capstone option that would completely transfer my AAS. Also, does WGU prepare you thoroughly for your certs? I appreciate any answers that you guys can provide :)

I have an AAS in Computer Networking Technology. Most everything applicable transferred. I still have some math because I only took Business Math for my AAS.

As far as the certifications go it looks like the amount of help they give you is more than enough. I am still in EWOB so I can't really say to much.
  • Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□

I transferred with an AA general studies/computer science degree, and I received transfer credits for all of my English, math, and science requirements. My Microsoft certs also gave me credit for some of the upper level courses.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    SephStorm wrote: »
    Any word on a time frame on that? Or which degree programs will be accredited?

Sorry I didn't get back with you on that. They are currently accredited, and the full out institution accreditation will probably happen in June.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    WGU just this month "trimmed some fat" from some of their BSIT program.
    They took out the requirements for the Site Design and Database classes and the "senior" Portfolio.
    I'll be finishing Feb of next year if I stay on my current pace. Started this term March 1 and already took my Sec+ and take my CIW Javascript test next week. Working on 70-640 and 70-642 now.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Legacy UserLegacy User Unregistered / Not Logged In Posts: 0 ■□□□□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    WGU just this month "trimmed some fat" from some of their BSIT program.
    They took out the requirements for the Site Design and Database classes and the "senior" Portfolio.

What do you mean they trimmed the fat? Did they remove those courses from the degree program? If thats the case did they replace it with another class?
  • Options
    theanimaltheanimal Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So this question isn't completely WGU related but I haven't been able to find an answer and seeing as how many people here refer to them, I thought maybe someone would know.

I definitely am going to go for a B.S. from WGU, but it definitely looks as if using CLEP and straighterline would be much cheaper for knocking out the gen ed courses.

In the future I may just want to get the M.S. from WGU or I may want to transfer somewhere else which I have seen that many members do. I just don't want to take all these straighterline courses now, and xfer in all these credits via CLEP, and then have them be worthless if I would go elsewhere to continue my education.

So does anyone know if just a marginal uni/college would accept the straighterline/CLEP credits?
  • Options
    theanimal wrote: »
    So does anyone know if just a marginal uni/college would accept the straighterline/CLEP credits?

Straighterline lists what Unis/Colleges accept their credits.
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□

Partner Colleges

Other Schools
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    Ivanjam wrote: »

Doh, answer was right there, thanks. The partner colleges is meh, and the 'other schools' that students have been able to transfer their credits to, just my luck, not a single school near me is on that list.

Now I'm not sure whether I should use straighterline or not.
  • Options
    Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    Doh, answer was right there, thanks. The partner colleges is meh, and the 'other schools' that students have been able to transfer their credits to, just my luck, not a single school near me is on that list.

Now I'm not sure whether I should use straighterline or not.

Most colleges have a written policy on what CLEP tests they accept that you can Google. Straightline is probably a tough sell at most colleges.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Cisc0kidd wrote: »
    Most colleges have a written policy on what CLEP tests they accept that you can Google. Straightline is probably a tough sell at most colleges.

Most colleges accept ACE credit. What you'd have to do is do Straighterline and then go through the ACE process via Straighterline. That's the only way to do it unless the college is a partner.
  • Options
    ValsacarValsacar Member Posts: 336
    Most schools do take CLEP (and ACE) credits, but they may limit which ones they accept and how many. Many schools will count them towards transfer credits, so if you're transferring in from another school that's something else you'll have to think about as it will further limit how many you can bring in.
    WGU MS:ISA Progress:
    Required: NOTHING!!!!!
    Current Course: NONE

Completed: COV2, LKT2, LOT2, FNV2, VUT2, JFT2, TFT2, JIT2, FYT2, FMV2, FXT2, FYV2, LQT2
    Started 01 May 2012, Degree awarded 29 Oct 2013
  • Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□

I went in with an AAS. Almost all of my credits transferred and I had a couple of extra ones transfer in because I was waiting for prerequisits at my other school. I took bullshit classes while waiting for certain classes to open. It knocked off more than half of my degree requirements for a bachelors.

Some classes require the cert to be waived or passed.

So far, as I can tell by browsing the program I'm in, they give you a ton of resources. You get out what you put in. The classes are organized though in chronological order.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I also transferred in my AAS. It cleared most of the lower level courses, with the exception of IWT1, IWC1, BNC1, RIT1, and MGC1. No problem, as I did those classes in less than a month.
  • Options
    I can't find it on WGU's website. Is there a page that lists all the required courses/classes for each degree?
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Online University Degree | Western Governors University Online

select the program, then scroll down to the link that says "view the pdf program guide"
  • Options
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Online University Degree | Western Governors University Online

select the program, then scroll down to the link that says "view the pdf program guide"

Thank you.

It seems like that course load is light on math. I'm just curious though, why do people opt to take the classes in Straighterline vs just taking them via WGU?