What is the difference between these three CCNA books?

thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
Hey guys, I am about to buy a study material book today and was not sure which one of these is better. I am also gonna get some equipment for CCNA from Ebay as well.
Anyways here are the books:
Amazon.com: CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (Exam 640-802), Third Edition (Containing ICND1 and ICND2 Second Edition Exam Certification Guides) (9781587201950): Wendell Odom: Books
Amazon.com: CCNA 640-802 Exam Certification Library, Simulator Edition (9781587203541): Wendell Odom: Books
Amazon.com: CCNA Preparation Library (7th Edition) (978158705464icon_cool.gif: Stephen McQuerry: Books

I noticed that the 1st and 2nd link form Wendell Odom is pretty much the same except the 2nd one has network simulator CD. Please correct me if I am wrong. What about the content of those two Wendell Odom books, are they the same?

The 3rd link not sure at all.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Studying:
Working on CCNA: Security. Start date: 12.28.10
Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
Reading:
Network Warrior - Currently at Part II
Reading IPv6 Essentials 2nd Edition - on hold

Comments

• blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    The first 2 are the same books.

Just so you know the ICND books come with a test qustions too. (I used these books).

For the SIM, is it worth all that extra cash?

Buy from Ebay and put the money you save for a real lab.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    blackninja wrote: »
    The first 2 are the same books.

Just so you know the ICND books come with a test qustions too. (I used these books).

For the SIM, is it worth all that extra cash?

Buy from Ebay and put the money you save for a real lab.
    Yeah agree. The second link seems to contain the same books as the first but with a simulator included. Having hardware is a must in my opinion, sims are ok but there are a lot of bad ones out there, nothing beats the hands on experience you get with actual hardware. If you want to use a simulator check out GNS3 which is an emulator rather than s simulator so it works as a real router would. It is free but there is a learning curve to it.

The ODOM books are excelent and everyone studying ICND1 & 2 should buy them.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    OK, thank you guys I just want to confirm it.
    I am not really interested on the sim at all, I just wanted to know the difference because I thought the 2nd is the newer version.

Just for the heck of it, I will ask anyways. Can you recommend a sim that I can use while I am at my work. I have a netbook Asus 1005HA. I am planning to continue the practices while I'm at work. Also, some practice exams.
    Studying:
    Microsoft 70-640 - on hold (This is not taking me anywhere. I started this in October, and it is December now, I am still on page 221. WTH!)
    Reading:
  • blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    thehourman wrote: »
    OK, thank you guys I just want to confirm it.
    I am not really interested on the sim at all, I just wanted to know the difference because I thought the 2nd is the newer version.

Just for the heck of it, I will ask anyways. Can you recommend a sim that I can use while I am at my work. I have a netbook Asus 1005HA. I am planning to continue the practices while I'm at work. Also, some practice exams.

If you can get hold of a copy of Packet Tracer 5.2 - it's very good if you want a quiet lab setup. BUT it's only given out to Cisco Network Academy students - but a great man once said "What happens in the lab stays in the lab"! ;)
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • DeathgomperDeathgomper Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    blackninja wrote: »
    "What happens in the lab stays in the lab"! ;)

If my lab could talk! Thank God it can't!
  • thehourmanthehourman Member Posts: 723
    I just purchased the Ciscopress the 1st link and 3 2620 routers.
    On the next paycheck, switches and WIC and some cables.
    Studying:
    Reading: