Options

70-680 or 70-640?

winformewinforme Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I want to attempt my first win cert, but I am not sure which one to start with? The 70-680 or the 70-640?

I have more server experience and have been a W2k3 admin for the past 5 years.

Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I think 640 would be a candidate if you've worked with AD everyday for 5 years.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Start with 70-290 for Windows 2003.

Test on what you know in order to certify your experience. Studying will be easier and you can get used to the format of the exams without having to learn new material. Then continue on to either an MCSA or MCSE and upgrade your certs to 2008. It's possible to upgrade your cert to 2008 with two exams, but not possible to downgrade it to 2003. 680 can be used as a client or elective (but not both) for the MCSA/E tracks and can later be used as the client for the MCITP:EA. The MCSA/E are both more recognized than the MCITP which will help you for future job opportunities and will also provide some historical perspective on your experience.
  • Options
    winformewinforme Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I thought about going for the 70-290 at first but then hesitated because I thought I would be wasting time and money on an outdated cert. I think the historical perspective is a valid point.

I am going to break out the prep logic book and take some self test software practice tests for the 70-290. Anything else!?

Thanks for the feedback!
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think the 290 is still a solid exam to have. It carries over into other certs nicely and will provide a good base of knowledge, especially in users, groups, permissions.
  • Options
    MicrosoftmanMicrosoftman Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This reply is meant for winforme. I recommend that you use the microsoft press book for your exam and utilize a self test program such as Transcender or Selt-test. Measure up is ok but It does not help maximize your performance on the exam as much. Transcender is reviewed and written by industry experts. Matter of fact, when I took my MCDST exams some of questions from transcender were on the exam. Transcender is a great tool for exam preparation. There are other programs out there too but I highly recommend this program.

I also recommend that for your exam preparation that you utilize the press book because it is the best way to maximize your performance on the Microsoft exams. There are case scenarios in the 70-680 exam that are very valuable because it allows to put in perspective what you have learned in each chapter. Also, the chapter summaries are helpful in that they wrap up everything that you have read in the chapter. I have received guidance from the best managers and active directory field engineers in the business. One thing I have learned is that one needs to dive deep into the microsoft technology. I believe that the mircosoft press book series allows you do that.