Options

MS CIS at Boston University

importantbrianimportantbrian Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm looking at getting my masters degree. I did a search but couldn't find any information about this program. I know many people here are pretty high on WGU, but I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on BU's program. Particularly if you attended BU what was your experience like, or if you are responsible for hiring at your company what is your opinion of the program?

Comments

• Options
    steve13adsteve13ad Member Posts: 398 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In my opinion, $700 per credit hour is a bit high. I'm paying $150 per hour, plus fees.
  • Options
    Which program are you enrolled in?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    steve13ad wrote: »

Are you in the MS:TS Information Security degree path? I have considered taking that after my BS. How do you like it?
  • Options
    I'm just in the Digital Communications program, it's more of a generalist path (It's what I could get work to pay for).

Honestly it hasn't been that challenging.

I'm at the point where there's some overlap between the DC and IA programs. So I could apply some classes to both programs.
  • Options
    SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    I've always known Boston University to be a pretty good school. I am pretty sure it's private which is why it is so much more expensive than ECU, but both of those schools have quality programs.

Personally I'd say ECU is probably the better degree as it has more name brand recognition across the nation but either of them will suit you fine. Honestly, once you get past the top tier of universities I really don't think there is much difference in what you get out of their degrees.
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • Options
    I had looked at the ECU program too. What other programs did you consider, and what made you decide on that one?
  • Options
    I had looked at the ECU program too. What other programs did you consider, and what made you decide on that one?

Who is this aimed at?
  • Options
    Who is this aimed at?
    I was asking steve specifically, but I'd like to hear from anyone who has input.
  • Options
    I acutaly completed my undergrad there and I still live in town. So it's was a good fit.

The price was reasonable compared to other state schools.

ECU has the reputation/history of a traditional university with all of the perks of an online university.
  • Options
    The price was reasonable compared to other state schools.

I only wish there online price for out-of-state was better. I really don't understand why colleges charge more for out-of-state online than for in-state online students. Is this somehow related to the aid that in-state students get?
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In my opinion, $700 per credit hour is a bit high. I'm paying $150 per hour, plus fees.

well being that BU isnt a public school...it is the norm....

hell i pay $825/hr this school year....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I only wish there online price for out-of-state was better. I really don't understand why colleges charge more for out-of-state online than for in-state online students. Is this somehow related to the aid that in-state students get?

A couple reasons for this. One is that many state schools are subsidized and taxpayers probably wouldn't sit well on the concept of subsidizing the educations for out of state students. The second reason is a possibility that an out of state student would be returning to their home state upon completion of school, which would mean they would not be a contribution to the workforce and tax paying base of the state in which they attended school.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    My fav is Nova Southeastern University | Academics for South Florida and the World if you're looking for solid online education. I'm hoping to start my program within a year.
  • Options
    BradleyHU wrote: »
    well being that BU isnt a public school...it is the norm....

hell i pay $825/hr this school year....

What program did you choose?
  • Options
    A couple reasons for this. One is that many state schools are subsidized and taxpayers probably wouldn't sit well on the concept of subsidizing the educations for out of state students. The second reason is a possibility that an out of state student would be returning to their home state upon completion of school, which would mean they would not be a contribution to the workforce and tax paying base of the state in which they attended school.

Yep, the main reason they do out of state tuition is because the university is subsidized by tax dollars from the state. They don't want their tax dollars subsidizing the education of someone who is not from the state and hasn't paid into the system. The amount the out of state student pays is the full cost of tuition. An instate student pays part of the tuition and the state subsidizes the rest.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    My fav is Nova Southeastern University | Academics for South Florida and the World if you're looking for solid online education. I'm hoping to start my program within a year.

I will have to check with you after you have to started to see how you are liking it. I really want to get a Masters from a B&M for obvious reasons. My only major concern is how they go about providing online class atmospheres, and how well they communicate with their students.
  • Options
    What program did you choose?

Information, Network, & Computer Security MS
    Link Me
  • Options
    This question is a little off topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread. I work in retail now and while I'm working on my masters I would like to start getting some IT experience. I have worked with databases in the past and would like to go that route. Should I start out by doing an A+ or Net+ and then trying to find a geek squad or helpdesk type position, or would it be better to start with something like MS 70-431 and try to find an entry level position supporting databases?
  • Options
    SrSysAdminSrSysAdmin Member Posts: 259
    This question is a little off topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread. I work in retail now and while I'm working on my masters I would like to start getting some IT experience. I have worked with databases in the past and would like to go that route. Should I start out by doing an A+ or Net+ and then trying to find a geek squad or helpdesk type position, or would it be better to start with something like MS 70-431 and try to find an entry level position supporting databases?

If you want to be a DBA I don't see how the A+ or Net+ certs would help you, nor would a geek squad/helpdesk type job.

I'm not sure what all the certs are for DBAs but I would think you'd need to get an Oracle cert or the like and go that route.

I'm not a DB guy tho so I'm certainly not an authority on the subject, I just don't see how those certs or jobs would help you become a DBA.
    Current Certifications:

* B.S. in Business Management
    * Sec+ 2008
    * MCSA

Currently Studying for:
    * 70-293 Maintaining a Server 2003 Network

Future Plans:

* 70-294 Planning a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-297 Designing a Server 2003 AD
    * 70-647 Server 2008
    * 70-649 MCSE to MCITP:EA
  • Options

to be honest...personally, i wouldnt do the geek squad thing. i worked @ Best Buy...its mainly just break/fix

i would say look for an entry level DBA position. and try to get you ur MCDBA cert as well...
    Link Me
  • Options
    I agree with last two posters, avoid Geek Squad.
  • Options
    That sounds like sound advice from everyone. Are there any guys on here who are DBAs that I might be able to contact for advise on how to get into that particular field of IT?