Options

SDM problem - java/win7

StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
Hello,

I am configuring SDM to work with GNS3. I created an MS loopback adapter and have successful connectivity between the adapter and my router in GNS3. I've installed SDM to the PC and am trying to launch it for my router. I believe there is an issue with either Windows 7 or Java (or the combination there of). I've tried the latest Java (6.0.18 I think) with no luck. The SDM help page lists the latest supported Java version as 6.0.3 which also does not work. Lastly I've tried 6.0.10 on someone's recommendation and also no good news.

The popup launches with firefox so I don't believe there's a problem there. The popup loads, but the actual SDM never loads. The below screen is all I get:
http://imgur.com/vqnqF.png

If anyone ran into similar issues, I'd appreciate their help.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    Stotic wrote: »
    Hello,

I am configuring SDM to work with GNS3. I created an MS loopback adapter and have successful connectivity between the adapter and my router in GNS3. I've installed SDM to the PC and am trying to launch it for my router. I believe there is an issue with either Windows 7 or Java (or the combination there of). I've tried the latest Java (6.0.18 I think) with no luck. The SDM help page lists the latest supported Java version as 6.0.3 which also does not work. Lastly I've tried 6.0.10 on someone's recommendation and also no good news.

The popup launches with firefox so I don't believe there's a problem there. The popup loads, but the actual SDM never loads. The below screen is all I get:
    http://imgur.com/vqnqF.png

If anyone ran into similar issues, I'd appreciate their help.

Thanks!
    Common problem. There's some info in this thread-
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccnp/50841-sdm-java-version.html

My experience - using IE with popup blocker turned off rather than firefox works better.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    I was not able to get SDM working over Win7 (and its not supported per Cisco). Firefox, disabling popups, etc did not help. I even tried about 10 different version of Java with no luck.

I know WinXP Home is not supported either but I was able to get that working by using Java 1.4(?). However, that version didn't help with Win7(64). I gave up and just started using my XP PC. And now seeing that SDM is EOL I'm guessing we will never see a fix for Win7 and SDM icon_sad.gif

If anyone has it working I would love to know what you are using for the following:
    -Web Browser and Version
    -Java Version
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    CiskHo wrote: »
    I was not able to get SDM working over Win7 (and its not supported per Cisco). Firefox, disabling popups, etc did not help. I even tried about 10 different version of Java with no luck.

I know WinXP Home is not supported either but I was able to get that working by using Java 1.4(?). However, that version didn't help with Win7(64). I gave up and just started using my XP PC. And now seeing that SDM is EOL I'm guessing we will never see a fix for Win7 and SDM icon_sad.gif

If anyone has it working I would love to know what you are using for the following:
    -Web Browser and Version
    -Java Version
    It works on Win 7 x64. I use SDM version 2.5 with IE8. The only caveat is I use java 1.5.0_09. I know this combo works and that's good enough for me!

SDM 2.5 Release Note
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    The popup launches with firefox so I don't believe there's a problem there. The popup loads, but the actual SDM never loads.
    Even though the release notes say Firefox is supported, you should use IE. See post above for my combo that works on my Windows 7 machine.
  • Options
    It works on Win 7 x64. I use SDM version 2.5 with IE8. The only caveat is I use java 1.5.0_09. I know this combo works and that's good enough for me!

SDM 2.5 Release Note

I'll give that a shot. I wish I remember which combo I used for ISCW, but that was almost 3 years ago now icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    I use SDM version 2.5 with IE8. The only caveat is I use java 1.5.0_09.
    1.5.0_09 must have been one of the few Java versions I didn't try. Will give it a shot tonight though! Thanks!! BTW, did you have to change any specific settings for Win or IE8? I'm guessing you just turned the pop up blocker off? TIA.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

• Options
    Java was giving me a bunch of problems. It wasn't letting me uninstall later versions. I'd be able to uninstall it in my add/remove programs sections (and using revo uninstaller), but it would still show up as active in my Control Panel.

I went back and tried to get it working on my XP laptop and it worked! I had the latest Java Update (1.6.1icon_cool.gif and used firefox! I'm convinced now that there is something up with its compatibility with Win7. I'm going to try getting it to work through Windows Virtual PC (XP Mode) so I can do some labs on my desktop rather than my small laptop. I'm unsure how GNS3 interacts with VM's...something I'll have to check out.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I'm convinced now that there is something up with its compatibility with Win7.
    Nope. Works fine with Windows 7. Not sure what is wrong or unusual about your configuration.

I've got JRE v6 update 18 and it working fine with Firefox 3.6 and SDM 2.5 running on Windows 7.
  • Options
    I went back and tried 1.5.9 which did not work.

Are you doing something out of the ordinary that some people might not think of to get it working?
  • Options

Are you doing something out of the ordinary that some people might not think of to get it working?
    Nope. I reinstalled my laptop last night because it was still running the W7 RC and just did a fresh install of W7. Installed Firefox. Installed the latest JRE. Turned off the popup blocker for the routers address and then accepted the warning about the Cisco SGZ loader. Thats about it really...
  • Options
    Same here. Neither version (32 or 64bit) of the Java file worked for me. I got a message saying the 64bit version of "Java couldn't be found, do you want to launch SDM anyway" and that failed. After removing that and installing the 32bit version of 1.5.0_09 I did get a login box from java, which hadn't happened before, but after that the IE window hung and couldn't be closed (had to reboot). What a PITA.

My config: Win7(64) & IE8 w/ pop up blocker off.
    My Lab Gear:

• Options
    Same here. Neither version (32 or 64bit) of the Java file worked for me. I got a message saying the 64bit version of "Java couldn't be found, do you want to launch SDM anyway" and that failed. After removing that and installing the 32bit version of 1.5.0_09 I did get a login box from java, which hadn't happened before, but after that the IE window hung and couldn't be closed (had to reboot). What a PITA.

My config: Win7(64) & IE8 w/ pop up blocker off.
    If you're using a 32 bit browser then you need 32 bit Java. You may be running 64 bit Windows but the default IE is actually the 32 bit one because plugins like Flash don't currently work with the 64 bit version. Until all the widely used plugins go 64 bit, everybody is stuck with a 32 bit browser or going without those plugins.

The official Firefox builds are also 32 bit.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    If you're using a 32 bit browser then you need 32 bit Java.
    Understood and as I stated the 32bit version did not work for me. Will try using Firefox again tonight but it hadn't worked with other versions of Java in the past.
    My Lab Gear:

• Options
    I installed the 32bit java as well. Keep me updated as per your progress and I shall as well :)

I'm going to post this in the GNS forums and see the response I get.
  • Options
    Here's a thread I found that looks like a similar problem although it looks like their progress is a little further along

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/4934
  • Options
    Understood and as I stated the 32bit version did not work for me. Will try using Firefox again tonight but it hadn't worked with other versions of Java in the past.
    Yeah. The whole 32/64 bit browser issue is more complicated than it should be. The main thing that is stopping general purpose usage of a 64 bit browser really does appear to be Flash. Java has a 64 bit version now as you saw. I don't think there are really that many other things you can reasonably assume to be present on any random browser. Although some people may say that a non working Flash install is actually a good thing :D

The hoops you have to jump through to get SDM running are stupid. I'm not 100% whether it is a fault with SDM itself or Java that is causing these issues. The fact that it does start working again (at least for me) with later versions of Java point to the fact that Java changed something at some point and then changed it back...
  • Options
    Here's a thread I found that looks like a similar problem although it looks like their progress is a little further along

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/thread/4934
    Nice. Posting about an issue with SDM inside Dynamips on a Cisco.com site :D

When you try to load SDM, does anything appear in the Java console? You should get an extra icon appear in the notification part of your taskbar when Java starts up. If you click it, you should be able to bring up a console window and it will say what the problem is.
  • Options
    A good read but more specific to your issue than mine (I guess). I don't need anything related to GNS3 or anything Vista-specific.

I would just like to get SDM2.5 working under Win7(64). I have a direct connection to 2800 so the loopback/GNS3 issues don't apply to my situation. I will post my findings once I have tested some other java versions, Firefox, etc. I had already gone through this before and lost my notes so I guess I'll try again. I have the exam on Saturday and main topic I need to review is SDM! Not sure if I will have time to figure anything out before then....

The hoops you have to jump through to get SDM running are stupid. I'm not 100% whether it is a fault with SDM itself or Java that is causing these issues. The fact that it does start working again (at least for me) with later versions of Java point to the fact that Java changed something at some point and then changed it back...
    Agreed 100% icon_mad.gif I feel like I am studying for OS/Java issues and this SDM crap is already EOL! Grrrr
    When you try to load SDM, does anything appear in the Java console? You should get an extra icon appear in the notification part of your taskbar when Java starts up. If you click it, you should be able to bring up a console window and it will say what the problem is.
    I saw the java icon appear in the task bar while using 1.5.0_09(32bit). SDM's 2nd/smaller IE window showed an error but I couldn't read it. Didn't think to check the java icon for error msgs. Will attempt again tonight.

Never thought it would be this difficult...I've spent more time messing with Java than I have using SDM. Getting frustrating! Thanks for all the tips so far.
    My Lab Gear:

• Options
    Well, I thought I would end up testing different configurations but I ended up passing the exam yesterday without any real SDM usage. Apparently, its not even worth the headache of installing :)
    My Lab Gear:

• Options
    I finally got it working! All I did was install Java 6.0.11 and it is now working. Make sure you gut all of your old java versions and start with a clean slate. I used Revo Uninstaller and CCleaner.