Options

Materials for 70-649

kiki1579kiki1579 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
Does anyone have recommendations on books or other materials that they have used while studying for 70-649? Right now I have a VM environment setup using 2K8 Ent. Server, and I'm playing around with that.

I know there's not much material on the upgrade exam other than the MS Press book for 70-648/9, and I'm not sure where to begin on that. Just looking for advice from those who have taken the exam.

Comments

• Options
    ChrisPEditorChrisPEditor Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, certainly anything out there for 70-640, 642 and 643 will have what you need for 70-649. You have to pay a little closer attention to the objectives so you're not studying stuff that's outside the scope of the exam. Not sure what kind of learner you are, but practice exams are always good (for either the 649 specifically or the tests that make it up).
    Christopher Parker
    Managing Editor, PrepLogic
    Get smarter training today with PrepLogic!

"You know what they say, 'Knowledge isn't power'... oh, wait..." --Dr. Gregory House
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    It's an old review, but here is what I used for the 649. The MS Press 649 book wasn't released when I took the exam so I was on my own for resources. As Chris said, if you use something other than the MS Press book stick to the exam objectives to stay on course.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/38621-70-649-exam-review.html
  • Options
    danclarkedanclarke Member Posts: 160
    I found the MS Press 649 book to be a good basis for my studying. However, as I have posted elsewhere before, the Syngress "Real" book was dreadful: poorly written, badly edited, inconsistent.

I think everybody on these boards would second the comment about practice exams. Also, of course, get as much hands-on experience as you can.

Given the structure of the exam - where a handful of incorrect answers on one section can lead to a failure of the entire exam - be aware of your weaker areas and if you are using the MS Press 649 book and 649 practice tests as your main study materials, be prepared to study the ground covered by one or more of the component exams (640, 642 and 643) in greater detail.
    -- Dan
  • Options
    kiki1579kiki1579 Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the reply. I've heard the MS Press book is the best book to get, but I wanted to see if there was anything else that was recommended beyond that. I'll probably cover my bases on the other exams as well.