Options

Free online training- What do you guys want?

Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
Hey guys. Myself and possibly a couple other fella's in the CCNP/CCIE forums were thinking about throwing together some free training. It'd be very experimental, as I've never personally run online training, so administratively it'd be a little bit of a challenge, or at the very least something new with a slight learning curve. Anyway..

That all being said, if we got something together, what would be the most beneficial? I could guess, but it helps best to hear what others think. To be brutally honest, I think subnetting ranks pretty high probably, but I really..REALLY don't want to spend a long time discussing it. Just a personal thing.

Could I get you guys (whether CCNA, CCENT, or just working on one of those) to give me a couple subjects per person you'd like to see? It's OK to copy what someone else says..I'd like to see a general consensus (or something like that) of what people want to learn.

Again, we'll see where it goes. A lot of it depends on interest and my ability to find the time to get it all together for you guys. I look forward to reading your responses!

Comments

• Options
    spartangtrspartangtr Member Posts: 111
    CCENT specific labs/lab books. I had no luck finding any at all that didn't cover the entire CCNA and ended up having to create my own.
  • Options
    PickerPicker Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That would be a good idea especially for people with low budget or from countries with limited resources. I think a good start would be on a decent lab for CCENT exam and how to tackle exam questions (subnetting scenario).
  • Options
    gpitts85gpitts85 Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Picker wrote: »
    That would be a good idea especially for people with low budget or from countries with limited resources. I think a good start would be on a decent lab for CCENT exam and how to tackle exam questions (subnetting scenario).

I agree with that statement also to add to it a good CCNA review. I am finishing up on my comptia certs security + to be exact then im taking my CCNA path. This would be very beneficial for someone like myself keep me posted.
    G-Money

Comptia A+

Pending... Security+

Degree in Progress....

B.S. MIS 45%

Philippians 4:13:
    "I Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens Me"
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would like to have more explanation of RSPTP
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    joe48184joe48184 Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Acl's, Nat and Pat. Another suggestion is to think of things you struggled with during the learning process and demo those topics.
  • Options
    hexemhexem Member Posts: 177
    I'm almost done with CCNA, but something that everyone can benifit from is being able to trouble shoot (most important aspect imo) so have trouble shooting guide's for each specific topic and common problem's that can occur, debug and show commands in detail.
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

Studying CCNA:S
  • Options
    Geetar28Geetar28 Member Posts: 101
    hexem wrote: »
    I'm almost done with CCNA, but something that everyone can benifit from is being able to trouble shoot (most important aspect imo) so have trouble shooting guide's for each specific topic and common problem's that can occur, debug and show commands in detail.

I definitely second that. Troubleshooting is one of the most difficult things to get a grasp on...for example "Given this scenario..blah blah blah...where should you start, and WHY you start there...". Getting STARTED with a troubleshooting process is half the battle...
  • Options
    Thanks for all of the input folks! Keep it coming..

I like the idea of a troubleshooting class, maybe on CCNA-esque scenarios. Given this scenario, if Host A doesn't have connectivity, where to start..etc..

Will draw up some ideas tonight..
  • Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    Thanks for all of the input folks! Keep it coming..

I like the idea of a troubleshooting class, maybe on CCNA-esque scenarios. Given this scenario, if Host A doesn't have connectivity, where to start..etc..

Will draw up some ideas tonight..
    Creating "broken" packet tracer or GNS3 files would suit that.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've started a free ccna workbook website which i try to do at last 1-2 labs a day on here lately, just finished section 3 and started section 4.

http://www.freecnaworkbook.com

Its not very simplistic but eventually after the site is done i'll be making 1080p HD video's on youtube going through the labs in detail.
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Troubleshooting is one good idea.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    Troubleshooting sounds like a good topic the more and more I think about it. The only issue with packet tracer and GNS3 is well, I don't use them anymore. I did use GNS3 briefly, but once I got a rack, I upgraded my Ubuntu installation which then broke GNS3 for me. I haven't bothered with it since I've got the rack now, so there's really no incentive to use it these days.

I'll have to look through the CCENT/CCNA topics (and even on the forums), and see what troubleshooting topics would be the most helpful. In the next few days I'm going to test out the new Wacom tablet I got, and get my replacement 2511 back up and running, and hopefully in a week or so I can get a practice class going to see how it all runs and stuff. It looks like there'll probably be about 20 slots available, on a first come- first serve basis. Once I decide the topic for good I'll set a tentative date and start letting people know how to access it and such.
  • Options
    hexemhexem Member Posts: 177
    Some thing's like broken OSPF/RIP/EIGRP/NAT/IP/STP/VTP/VLAN are always good, the critical thing is breaking the show and debug commands down so people know what to run and when to run them and when not to run them.

I had a paticular scenario today at work where i took a router down remotely when trying to debug some nat issue's, it was my bad, running debug on cbac inspect rule's wasn't a smart choice lol
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

Studying CCNA:S
  • Options
    The class will be TROUBLESHOOTING VTP/VLAN TRUNKING...maximum of 20 seats..will be first come first serve once I post a date. I would like it to be at maximum capacity if possible. Aside from people being invited on here, a lot of co-workers will be invited so hopefully the gathering will be nice.

Reason being, I wanted to do some STP type stuff, but without trunking..STP will be broken mostly. Plus, I'd hate to run into a minor trunking issue in the middle of the class, and say "oh, don't worry about this stuff I'm doing, that's outside the scope of the class"...

Instead, it would be ideal in my mind to start "lower" and work our way up. If this class goes well I intend on doing more, but no promises..as they're essentially augmenting my personal studies..

No date yet. I will spend the next week working on slides/diagrams to supplment the small exercises I plan on doing, and getting my wacom to work properly.