Options

70-642 - done

rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
Another one down...

I felt under prepared for this one as I was failing my practice tests (MeasureUp) with a 40-50% pass rate. The funny thing is that the areas I was weak on in the practice tests were the areas I did best on in the real exam.

Now that the 640 & 642 are out of the way I am going to start on the 70-646 for the MCITP: SA.

Comments

• Options
    shon541shon541 Member Posts: 136
    Congrats and good luck with 70-646!
  • Options
    PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats! we're in the same boat, good luck with your 646 studies!
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • Options
    valenvalen Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Another 646 taker here. Good luck everybody
  • Options
    What materials are you guys using to prep for the test? I had a fantastic little book (exam cram series) for 83-642, but they don't make that one for 646...
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations on passing. I'll be taking 70-640,642 in the coming months.
    What's the difference between the 83-642 and the 70-642?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    earweed wrote: »
    What's the difference between the 83-642 and the 70-642?

The content is the same, however the 83-640 includes a simulator. Make sure you lab up everything to be prepared for the 83-640.
  • Options
    The 70-620 was improperly named then. My test was a third simulations
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    valen wrote: »
    What materials are you guys using to prep for the test? I had a fantastic little book (exam cram series) for 83-642, but they don't make that one for 646...

Don't seem to be many books on the 646 icon_sad.gif

I've started reading the MS Press Training Kit for this, not as bad as some of the others in the series. I'm toying with getting the Syngress book but seen indifferent report on that one. I used the MS and syngress for 70-648 and found the syngress an easier read.

Are the Transcenders on the 646 any good?
  • Options

I've started reading the MS Press Training Kit for this, not as bad as some of the others in the series. I'm toying with getting the Syngress book but seen indifferent report on that one. I used the MS and syngress for 70-648 and found the syngress an easier read.

I've primarily been using the MS Press books. I just signed up for CBT Nuggets to fill in the gaps. With this exam I expect there to be quite a bit of review of the last two I did so I don't really see the need for more books.
  • Options

I've noticed the lack of books too. I almost bought the Syngress book the other day, but the $59.99 sticker price put me off. It can be had for much cheaper online. I used nuggets for 642 and I'm considering them again. The Syngress CCNA book was very good, so that give me some confidence for the 646 book.
  • Options
    -Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151
    Did the 70-642 test have the VM servers like the 83-640 has? Or was it a straight multiple choice test? I'm going to be taking it in a few weeks, and want to be ready for whichever it is.
  • Options
    They are all multiple choice in the 70-642.
  • Options
    -Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151
    rsutton wrote: »

Thanks. I was kind of hoping for the VM's again. I really liked those.
  • Options
    The VM's were great, I much prefer them to memorizing trivia.
  • Options
    The VM's were great, I much prefer them to memorizing trivia.

Agreed. I found the 83 series VMs to be easy points.
  • Options
    contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have the Sybex book for the 70-646 and it is a pretty easy read I just wish it was available in the kindle edition =( (pdf conversion is less then stellar). My initial quickscan of the books seems like the 83/70-640 & 642 built a pretty good familiarity level for much of the material in the 646.
  • Options
    Congrats on the pass

Was hoping you wouldn't say that. I like VM'ing it. I'll be ready for my 70-640 by may and 70-642 by July at the rate I'm going(and plan to keep up). Having all MC questions just means that much more reading and less labbing. I'll still do the labs in the MS Press books though.
  • Options
    I have the Sybex book for the 70-646 and it is a pretty easy read I just wish it was available in the kindle edition =( (pdf conversion is less then stellar). My initial quickscan of the books seems like the 83/70-640 & 642 built a pretty good familiarity level for much of the material in the 646.

I agree, especially about kindle :)

I'm expecting this exam to be pretty easy to follow up 640 & 642 with.
  • Options
    alokin123alokin123 Member Posts: 268
    valen wrote: »
    I agree, especially about kindle :)

I'm expecting this exam to be pretty easy to follow up 640 & 642 with.

If memory serves me correctly, this exam doesnt delve that deeply into topics covered in 640 and 642. The only real stuff related to those exams is on this exam is group policy and WSUS (WSUS seems to pop a bit on this exam). It seems to cover a lot of the the 70-643 exam. It doesnt cover the specifics but expect questions on WDS, Server versions,DFS and a lot on, iSCSI, NLB, Clustering, SANs, Terminal Servers and application deployment. You don't need to know them in depth but you need to recognize situations and the technologies appropriate to them.