Options

CompTIA Self Study Guides

tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
I have a question regarding the best way for self study for the entry level CompTIA exams, specifically A+, Network+, Security+. Would it be better to study the Mike Meyer's Passport books (the one's that look like a map) that are about 600-700 pages or spend the extra money on the larger books that are 1100-1200 pages?

Comments

• Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tjb122982 wrote: »
    I have a question regarding the best way for self study for the entry level CompTIA exams, specifically A+, Network+, Security+. Would it be better to study the Mike Meyer's Passport books (the one's that look like a map) that are about 600-700 pages or spend the extra money on the larger books that are 1100-1200 pages?

Here’s what I recommend:
    1. First, download the exam objectives, and as you study you can use them as a checklist to determine what you need to study, vs. what you already know. Also the objectives will tell exactly everything that you will be tested on.
    Download Exam Objectives

2. Personally, I like the Sybex books myself, and other IT professionals give Sybex raving reviews; however, everyone has their own preference. I would worry less about the page count that each book has, and worry more about how much material is covered, and how it’s presented. Below is a link to the Sybex book…
    CompTIA A+ Complete Deluxe Study Guide: Exams 220-701 (Essentials) and 220-702 (Practical Application)
    CompTIA A+ 2009: CompTIA A+ Complete Deluxe Study Guide: Exams 220-701 (Essentials) and 220-702 (Practical Application) - Book Information - Sybex

I recommend reading each chapter, and taking the end of chapter tests.

After reading that book I suggest picking up and read the Exam Cram book posted below.
    Pearson IT Certification: CompTIA A+ 220-701 and 220-702 Exam Cram:
    3. While you are reading, and studying you need to do labs, so that you can better understand the material. For the A+ exam it helps to build a computer, while you’re studying, so that you can have a better understanding of the exam material, by working with the hardware and software.
    4. After you have finished reading the Sybex book, I suggest purchasing testing Software from measureup.com or transcender, and taking multiple tests until you score 90% at least 3 times. At this point you should schedule your test.
    MCSE, A+ and CCNA Certification Practice Exams, MCSE Training, Online Courses and Assessments

Transcender IT Certification Prep Training Products - Practice Exams and More

Each Comptia exam typically builds on objectives from previous exams.
    Most people that are new to IT take the A+, then once they pass that exam, they then take the Network+, and then they take the Security+. I suggest going this route, if you don’t have a lot of experience in the IT industry.

I hope this helps
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor