Options

Need some advice on future direction

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

Would just like some input on a dilemma i find myself in.

Recently i posted about an issue at work found here: http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/51365-rant.html

Many of you's agreed it would be best to move on if things did not improve. So my question is what would you do re the following info..im just about to finish my Bsc Hons degree in network computing. So i was thinking one option would be to quit work altogether go to uni FT and complete an MBA (or possibly another masters program) over the next 12-15 months.

positives: achieve a masters and possible greater career progression, could pay for it via student loans
negatives: massive drop in income as i would need to find a lower paid PT job, wont gain real world network experiance whilst doing it

Or i could stay in the position until i find another (if i can) and get more qualified? I would be aiming to complete in the short term my ccnp, ccsa and possibly jncia-fwv as we have new ssg and R70 boxes going in shortly. One thing i couldnt do is finish a masters at uni as i cant afford to pay tuition fees as i wont qualify for student loans due to being a FT worker etc?

positives: gain additional real world experiance and network qualifications which would hopefully lead to a better career. maintain current good salary.
negatives: wont be able to complete an MBA. will have to put up with the current volume of crap at work.

i would just like the input of the board as i know how valuable your advice has been. Long term i am aiming to be in a network architect position and hopefully achieve a CCIE R&S. i am currently 24, have nearly 8 years experiance in IT and nearly 2 in a networking role.

I have a fair idea which one seems the slightly better option but both seem appealing at different times and for different reasons but would appreciate your input.
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    I think you should do bunji jumping next followed by scuba diving and maybe a cheap £50 half hour trial flight flying a plane ... ohh .. you didn't ask that. hmmm ... Well, I'll leave that there for your next thread then :)

It's a tough call but everything considered, I think you would get to be an architect far quicker if you did the masters first.

I work with architects a lot to bring in new installations through my comms rooms and into the data centres and a lot of them really know their stuff inside and out. I would doubt you would have the luxury of going that in depth in the knowledge you'll need, if you were working your way up through the techie field and had to meet ticket deadlines. By the time you get home, you're drained and it can be hard to force yourself to study after that.

You also have to think of where the industry is going and what types of thing you would be asked to design and in what type of environment. A masters in network design would really stand you in good stead designing for the bigger companies that have data centres and offer hosting. That environment is very particular and certainly not like the little machine room out the back. Everything has to be done in a very particular way.

Yes you need to know the individual network / server type technologies but do you really need to know the intricacies of actually setting up those devices to be a designer? I don't think so (sure it might help) but if the company can afford architects, they can afford techies that know how to build those things to the design specifications they have been given.

I admire you for having such focus at such a young age. At your age my whole life revovled around the army and the ladies all nicely packaged in alcohol. (/sigh_on those were the days /sigh_off) I imagine you must be pig sick of studying by now and are screaming to really get going in the industry. However, couple of years more focus and you could really be on track for one day bringing in the big bucks. I don't think I've ever heard of a low paid architect so if and when you do, I hope you will reward those that have advised you along the way ;) A percentage would work :)
    Kam.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Knock off the Master degree. If you wait life will get in the way and keep you from ever completing it.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    I think you should do bunji jumping next followed by scuba diving and maybe a cheap £50 half hour trial flight flying a plane ... ohh .. you didn't ask that. hmmm ... Well, I'll leave that there for your next thread then :)

It's a tough call but everything considered, I think you would get to be an architect far quicker if you did the masters first.

I work with architects a lot to bring in new installations through my comms rooms and into the data centres and a lot of them really know their stuff inside and out. I would doubt you would have the luxury of going that in depth in the knowledge you'll need, if you were working your way up through the techie field and had to meet ticket deadlines. By the time you get home, you're drained and it can be hard to force yourself to study after that.

You also have to think of where the industry is going and what types of thing you would be asked to design and in what type of environment. A masters in network design would really stand you in good stead designing for the bigger companies that have data centres and offer hosting. That environment is very particular and certainly not like the little machine room out the back. Everything has to be done in a very particular way.

Yes you need to know the individual network / server type technologies but do you really need to know the intricacies of actually setting up those devices to be a designer? I don't think so (sure it might help) but if the company can afford architects, they can afford techies that know how to build those things to the design specifications they have been given.

I admire you for having such focus at such a young age. At your age my whole life revovled around the army and the ladies all nicely packaged in alcohol. (/sigh_on those were the days /sigh_off) I imagine you must be pig sick of studying by now and are screaming to really get going in the industry. However, couple of years more focus and you could really be on track for one day bringing in the big bucks. I don't think I've ever heard of a low paid architect so if and when you do, I hope you will reward those that have advised you along the way ;) A percentage would work :)

haha you know me too well Kam! im loving my activities at the minute! yeah your right, im pretty sick of studying mr arse of and getting nowhere at the minute. i appreciate being in a networking role and gaining some experiance but im not progressing fast enough! although i do love a good cheeky night out on the tiles surrounded by beautiful ladies, especially those student types haha!

im starting to think about asking work if they would allow me the time out to do an MBA or another masters and still work there (even if it means i loose the hours i dont work). then that way i can do my masters whilst i still gain some network experiance. Im a single lad so i dont have any dependancy where my relationship would be strained due to the amount of study i have to do! plus ive been doing by Bsc Hons PT for 5 years whilst working FT so i know the score when it comes to getting stuck in.

Would any masters be relevant for a high level role like that? Im told the MBA at edinburgh uni is very much sought after too and not as expensive as those back home in england.Im attracted to an MBA to give me a variation in career direction and not just focused on networking. However there is another local university who offer an Msc iin advanced networking which follows the current (soon to be old) CCNP track too. Although the uni isnt as prestigious as edinburgh uni's status.

Whats your thoughts on that?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Needs to be in Network Design I would have thought. I don't know about Edinborough courses and what they offer. There are lots of scholarships for MBAs that could take you all over the place.
    Kam.