Options

Poll: What are the Best books for the Security+ exam?

D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595 ■■□□□□□□□□
Please post any books you think should be on this poll! icon_wink.gif
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You forgot TCats pdf - that is THE book to have :)
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    RussS wrote:
    You forgot TCats pdf - that is THE book to have :)

I remembered too late icon_rolleyes.gif , I already submitted my poll... Is there a way to edit it?
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    10 is the maximum number of choices - can replace one of them if requested.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    Ok thanks, So the sybex book is winning the polls!
  • Options
    jsondjsond Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dumb question: if the Tcat pdf the same as the syngress pdf. I keep seeing references to tcat in that PDF I downloaded but not sure if they both are the same. At any rate the only points of reference I can make here is on he 3 books I have read: syngress, examinsight, and sybex. To me the syngress if easily the best of the 3 followed by examinsight then sybex, which I find very lacking. Possible I have an older edition of the sybex but I did not find it very helpful and it seemed very basic.

EDIT: Well as soon as I say that I see it is getting the most picks. Again just my opinion anyone thinking of getting it should definitely do it but it was my least favorite of the 3 I have read. But any book on the sec+ is of course going to be helpful and opinions vary.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    D-boy wrote:
    Ok thanks, So the sybex book is winning the polls!
    I hope not... although it may be different with the 2nd edition, the first edition is just horrible. It has a lot of mistakes in it, it lacks information, and the information it does contain is sometimes repeated up to 4 times. Most of the text in the book is a complete waste of paper and ink... IMHO...

Generally I like Sybex books though, a lot (Todd Lammle CCNA guide, most MS excam books, and the Maya book I'm currently reading are all excellent), and they sent me a free copy (which is always a plus ;)) but the security+ guide is truly the worst certification book I've ever read. I couldn't read three pages in a row without throwing it in some dark corner. I'm sure many Sybex-fans will agree. I didn't like anti-Microsoft sentiments in it either... as if ICQ is more secure than NetMeeting. I'm sorry for the 'negatism', but I still don't understand how the great Sybex can publish such a book (or how comptia can get away with sec+ icon_rolleyes.gif ). Again, the 2nd edition of the Sybex guide could be much better, rendering all my previous comments invalid.

I haven't read another Sec+ book, so there's no option for me to vote.
    I'll check if I can change the maximum of 10 options, so you can add Tcat's book and perhaps an option that says None, which would be my choice. I'm currently studying for the SSCP exam and I'm using CISSP study material, which I can recommend to anyone studying for the Security+ exam (not as primary source of course, just as a reliable reference). Then print out the exam objectives from comptia and cover them one by one using several different sources/books/google...
  • Options
    RussS wrote:
    I just raised the limit to 15 choices :D
  • Options
    jsondjsond Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster wrote:
    I hope not... although it may be different with the 2nd edition, the first edition is just horrible. It has a lot of mistakes in it, it lacks information, and the information it does contain is sometimes repeated up to 4 times. Most of the text in the book is a complete waste of paper and ink... IMHO...

Well that explained my opinion on the post above about Sybex. I just checked and sure enuff it is the 1st edition.
  • Options
    They do have a short errata at the sybex site for the first edition. Won't make the necessary difference but you should probably check it anyway when you are using the 1st edition. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote:
    RussS wrote:

Thank you! icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    D-boy wrote:
    Webmaster wrote:
    RussS wrote:

Thank you! icon_wink.gif
    You're welcome :)
This discussion has been closed.