Options

Job Offer and Current job Tango. Need Advice.

jsolarijsolari Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have quite the dilemma on my hands.

Right now I work at a very large telecommunications provider. I am in there NOC - extremely stressful and busy NOC. The schedule they allow me to work really works for my family (4 tens - and I get some OT on my days off).

With that being said that job pays mid 40s about 45k a yr.

I am really interested in this other job as a Senior Support Engineer. There I would not be on the phones all the time. I would be going to end user sites, working with Servers and Desktops along with a lot of networking (most of which my background is in). This would pay at least 10 grand more a year. I truly hate being on the phones 24/7.

The job I am at now is large so health care is cheap ($200 a month for my family).

I would love to give my current company a chance to make me stay. But is it "sketchy" to feel out this offer and then go to them and be like - look I have been receiving offers, i feel I have an obligation to my family. I love this company and want to stay - is there anything we can do?

Is there anything wrong with doing that? I feel its like extortion in a way. On my side I do have my review this friday. I have been at this company since July. In July I was laid off my other job and quickly was hired here. They do like me and want me to stay with the company.

Anyone have any insight?

Comments

• Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    No one else is gonna look out for your paycheck or your career other than you.

If you can get another offer on the table and are happy where you are then there is nothing wrong with asking for a raise.
    The only downside is you've highlighted to the company that your looking around (even if its only to gain a raise internally) and may put any thoughts of promotion etc at risk.

Personally if I want a raise where I am I ask for one and justify why, if I dont get it THEN I start to look around.
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    People say it a lot on these boards and I thought I had listened but DO NOT fall in love with a company. DO NOT stay at a company for silly reasons.

I recently went through a similar situation, and while I was working on really cool projects at my last employer, I can't tell you how much weights been lifted off my shoulders by making a better wage at my new job.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    You hate being on the phones, the new company pays $10k more a year, and you get to work with the technology you like.

Wait, what was your question?
  • Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    Claymoore wrote: »
    You hate being on the phones, the new company pays $10k more a year, and you get to work with the technology you like.

Wait, what was your question?
    The schedule they allow me to work really works for my family (4 tens - and I get some OT on my days off). ... The job I am at now is large so health care is cheap ($200 a month for my family).

That's his dilemma.

I say take the other job. Non-monetary factors, such as stress less and enjoyment level, also have their value, though difficult to quantify. Though insurance may cost more, your stress level is greatly decreased and your enjoyment is greatly increased. You may also have a chance at negotiating a custom work schedule at the new place.

Take the job and don't look back.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    As a general rule, I'm against the whole "go to your boss asking for a counter-offer" thing. You just never know who is going to be petty and vindictive in the future because they decided you were a traitor or something. The job you're going to sounds like it would be better all around. My general feeling is if your current job really values you, they will be proactive in moving you up. If you have to get another job offer for them to make a move, it wasn't worth staying anyway.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jsolari wrote: »
    On my side I do have my review this friday. I have been at this company since July.
    See what happens at your review. Find out if/when there is an option to get off the phones and do more at the company you love working for.

Use the review to find out what you can expect in terms of future salary (and benefits)

Don't bring up changing jobs or try using a new job as leverage unless you have a firm offer from the other company, and only if you learn your current company expects you answer phones until the day your retire (or die).

If you jump to the new job and it turns out it was misrepresented or you really hate it, what's your plan for that? Is the new job salaried? Would you be expected (required) to answer your phone at 2am and jump out of bed and drive 2 hours to a customer site to fix a problem?
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Once you tell your boss you have another offer, your loyalty is already in question since you interviewed/looked for another job.
  • Options
    jsolarijsolari Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would have to agree with everyone assumptions on this..

Its not that I hate the company I work at - the issue is I hate the job. I came to this company after being laid off from Eng. roles.

I know this is a good company and are good to there employees. BUT I do hve a family and I dunno if i like where this job in this company heads.

The other job gets me into more of a admin role. Which I like. Network Engineering came to me very early as I had my CCNA in HS.

I guess I have to talk with the new job more. Also see how my review goes on Monday.