Options

Cisco 857 rate-limit

azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi,

Not really a CCNA question, but wasn't sure which forum was appropriate.

Have had my 857W (IOS advsecurityk9-mz.124-15.T10) running for some time, recently changed to an 8Mb ADSL1 plan and if the download speed exceeds 725KBs (average) the router resets. I'm guessing it's suffering from a buffer over run and looses the plot.

I've tried applying
[FONT=Courier New]rate-limit input 7000000 7000000 7000000  conform-action transmit  exceed-action drop[/FONT]
to the ATM and Dialer interfaces, but no success.

Have seen ways to limit speed by time of day (this would be ideal for peak/offpeak limits) but they can only be applied via class/policy maps which the 857's don't seem to support.

I've spent the past few hours searching for an answer without success...

Any advice appreciated:D

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    azaghul wrote: »
    if the download speed exceeds 725KBs (average) the router resets. I'm guessing it's suffering from a buffer over run and looses the plot.
    You're going about this the wrong way. What you need to do is find out why its crashing since it shouldn't do that.

Plug a PC into the console port and get it to crash so you can get a log of the errors.
    azaghul wrote: »
    Have had my 857W (IOS advsecurityk9-mz.124-15.T10)
    The latest IOS for a 857 is 12.4.15T12 and the latest (and only) ADSL chipset firmware is 4.0.18 but that only appears to apply if you're in the UK and using BT ADSL.