Options

Almost had the CCENT

hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
I took my very first Cisco exam yesterday, and I failed. Trying not to violate the NDA, I got a score of 748. Moderators, please remove this thread if I violated the NDA. Thanks.

The score sheet said I needed to work on the following areas:

Describe the operation of data networks....85%
Implement a small switched network....88%
Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP services to meet network requirement....11%
Implement a small routed network....69%
Explain and select the appropriate administrative tasks required for a WAN....67%
Identify security threats to a network and describe general methods to mitigate.... 0%
Implement and verify WAN links....100%

So, does this mean I'm pretty good with WAN technology but horrible with security implementation? I find this embarrassing since I already have my Security+. So, if it wasn't for skipping one of the simlet questions I got choke on and the security questions that got me good, I might would have passed the test. When I was taking it, I realized I answered questions too slow, and I was less than halfway done with the test during the middle of the exam period. So, I panicked and rushed through the exam. I realized I have plenty of time left by the time I was done. I wish I can go back and answer those questions.

I have to agree with most of you that Odom's book was very informative, and the boson practice test definitely should prepare you well enough for the actual exam if you read the entire book and understood it. I believe the boson test was tough, but it's worth the practice.

Wish me luck next time. I hope to retake it within the next two weeks.

Comments

• Options
    GrayhenTorGrayhenTor Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Unlucky. You were very close.. pass mark is 804 isn't it ? I'm sure you'll pass it next time. You were low on the "Implement IP scheme.." section too.
    I'd make sure to concentrate on that as well the "security threats".
    It's difficult to get timings right on the exam; I also skipped a simlet, for fear of running out of time, on my first attempt.
    Better luck next time..
  • Options
    hexemhexem Member Posts: 177
    Obviously start looking at basic router/switch security configuration, you should really be able to look at the running-config file and know what's going on, such as is encryption enabled, is the enable password encrypted or not, know how to secure the console/vty line's and the importance of using ssh over telnet, login banner's also...motd etc

TIP: learn what no login does when configured on a vty/console line, it's not what you'd think at first.
    ICND1 - Passed 25/01/10
    ICND2 - Passed 9/03/10

Studying CCNA:S
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    hexem wrote: »
    Obviously start looking at basic router/switch security configuration, you should really be able to look at the running-config file and know what's going on, such as is encryption enabled, is the enable password encrypted or not, know how to secure the console/vty line's and the importance of using ssh over telnet, login banner's also...motd etc

TIP: learn what no login does when configured on a vty/console line, it's not what you'd think at first.

Thanks. That's exactly what I need to work on. My problem is that I read the first half of the Odom's book, then I stopped for a few weeks, because I have no way of actually playing around with switches, until my cisco class finally got on that topic. I was forgetting some of the basic stuffs that I wasn't sure if I was right. I wish dynamips could emulate a switch.
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Do you have packet tracer?? You can get some experience with switches on there but some of commands are limited on packet tracer.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    IP Addressing schemes could mean subnetting. Head on over to subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online and do problems until your eyes bleed or you are getting them right in under a minute. Then do 5 or so problems a night to keep your subnetting skills sharp until your exam rematch.

Compare you exam report section scores against the exam blueprint. That should jog your memory and point you towards the topics you may need to study some more.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!