Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When submitting a powerpoint slide show in taskstream, do you just upload it or do you have to create it in their own environment?
  • Options
    BundimanBundiman Member Posts: 201
    Not sure on that one but I do recall there being separate directions for PowerPoint submissions. I will look and see if I can find it
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Start Date: Apr 1st, 2013)
    Bachelor of Science, IT - Security Emphasis (Completed: Apr 25t, 2014)
  • Options
    I've been looking but couldn't find anything but different answers. I will check in my coursework as well and see if there is a note in there in regards.
  • Options
    My WGU class curriculum hints out that it's an attachment I need to do and submit. It says that if I want to use turnitin I will have to convert the powerpoint to plain text and feed it through beforehand, since PPT slide shows are not supported as they are when submitting them through taskstream. I just submitted it by attaching it. If they have an issue it's ok, I can change the way I hand it in afterwards, no biggie.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yeah all you need to do is add it as an attachment and submit, nothing really different about that.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    I have been waiting since Wednesday to get a Prometric proctored exam scheduled but havent heard back from the scheduling group yet is this normal?
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bundiman wrote: »
    I have been waiting since Wednesday to get a Prometric proctored exam scheduled but havent heard back from the scheduling group yet is this normal?

For me its usually pretty slow. But not that slow. 5 days is the norm for me
  • Options
    Also I submitted my WFV1 on the 16th and it hasn't been updated on my degree plan yet ist this normal as well?
  • Options
    nosoup4unosoup4u Member Posts: 365
    About 5 days for getting a voucher is normal, also takes 2-3 weeks for prometric/vue exams to post to you degree plan.
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327

Call or email them; they shouldn't take that long. I only had that happen once, most of them were done in 48 hours.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    Also I submitted my WFV1 on the 16th and it hasn't been updated on my degree plan yet ist this normal as well?

My last few took 15-18 calendar days. You know you passed and as much as you want to see that class off your list that will have to suffice for now. I made it a game, how many classes can I pass before my results are posted?
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    ShinjinShinjin Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys,

New to the forums but research about WGU on Google brought me here. I was wondering if anyone could verify this for me. I have a ton of lower division and GE classes from a UC I attended years ago here in California. Does the 5 year course transfer rule apply to ALL classes (including the generics, like English, Lit, Art, History, etc) or just the technical/certification ones?

I've been digging in this forum and on Reddit but I've only heard people mention their technical classes that were older than 5 years not being transferred...
  • Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    I think you missed the distinction. Its not 'Technical classes' but rather 'Certifications' have to be less than 5 years old to waive the classes that overlap them them. Your Ge and lower division courses should transfer in.
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you missed the distinction. Its not 'Technical classes' but rather 'Certifications' have to be less than 5 years old to waive the classes that overlap them them. Your Ge and lower division courses should transfer in.

With that in mind, if you get credit assessed through a community college for certification classes and tests you took through there, over 5 years ago, would those classes count? I did my MCSE and CCNA a long time ago, but because I did it through the local school they also gave me the course credit for 15 or 19 credits in total, wonder if I'd get WGU credit for those courses or not.
  • Options
    paulgswansonpaulgswanson Member Posts: 311
    With the info you provided it sounds like you would get credit for the classes but not the Certs - either way it sounds like your covered for those classes
    http://paulswansonblog.wordpress.com/
    WGU Progress: B.S. Network Management & Design <- I quit (got bored)
  • Options
    ShinjinShinjin Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm a little confused...if you look here, https://kb.wgu.edu/utility/getfile.aspx?rid=1021 at the bottom of page 3 there is an asterisk saying "Note that all certifications, degrees or courses must have been completed within the past five years."

In this instance, "courses" can refer to any GE or lower division class, I believe.

If this is indeed true then I'm out about 80% of my transferable classes.
  • Options
    Best bet is to call and confirm.
  • Options
    prtechprtech Member Posts: 163
    Has anyone transferred from a CC with some certs and finish their BS in one term? I've sent my transcripts and wanted to start by June 1st. Now I'm thinking of postponing it to July 1st so I could get a few more certs and transfer them in. I'm currently studying for CCNA Security+ and will take it mid next month. I'm thinking of knocking out Linux+ and Project+ before July 1st and hopefully finish the BS IT-Security program in one term.
    If at first you do succeed, try something harder.
  • Options
    I've seen a few people on here with 60-80 cu's in one term, so I would say it's possible.
  • Options
    boredgameladboredgamelad Member Posts: 365 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My AA, CCNA, Net+, and Sec+ covered 78 CUs. I finished the remaining 43 in less than a full term.
  • Options
    SirbloodySirbloody Member Posts: 112
    I am hoping both of my IT realted MOSes will count towards around half of the CUs I need.
    WGU: BS-IT Security (Start Date 1 June 2013)
    Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
    Completed: CPV1, AXV1, DHV1 BBC1, WFV1, CLC1, CTV1, DRV1. DSV1, LAE1
  • Options
    My AA, CCNA, Net+, and Sec+ covered 78 CUs. I finished the remaining 43 in less than a full term.
    How many hours a week did you dedicate to studying?
  • Options
    prtech wrote: »
    Has anyone transferred from a CC with some certs and finish their BS in one term?

I am one final edit away from submitting my captsone and getting my BS in just 21 weeks - 5 weeks shy of a full term . I only needed 30 CUs and if I had dedicated myself to it I could have been done sooner, but maintaining a good work/life/school balance was top priority for me.
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thats impressive
    Great job.

I transferred in about 60CU's..
  • Options
    Main EventMain Event Member Posts: 124
    Health Informatics Degree | Online Bachelor

How would this degree apply in the IT field?
  • Options
    westrockwestrock Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello, I have some basic questions about the curriculum at WGU. I work in the electronics industry and have been getting interested in programming over the last couple years. I have taught myself Perl and Ruby so far and decided it was time to go to school to get a bachelors. I am currently enrolled in University of Phoenix (first class), but it feels like its going to be alot of team work stuff from here on out. I am more interested in self work. I also don't think I am going to learn too much at UoP related to technology and programming as I have been in computers all my life and most of the classes look like introductory to technology concepts.

Would WGU provide a more self taught curriculum? Based on what I have read it looks like it is almost all at a self pace. Also since the courses are about getting actual certificates, does that mean I would actually learn things related to programming?

Also with UoP it is built around the 5 week course timeline. At WGU do you sign up for a partcular class and then take the exam when you feel you are ready?

My really big concern with UoP is that while my employeer will pay the tuition no problem I am concered about the $5200 limit the IRS allows every year. At UoP that only covers 3 classes and you generally should take 10 classes each year. That means a pretty heavy burden of income tax will be placed on me for my *free* education. Where as WGU almost fits perfectly with the $5200 limit each year.
  • Options
    milieumilieu Member Posts: 41 ■□□□□□□□□□
    WGU is almost entirely self-paced. Your mentor will work with you to add classes, and it's on you to finish them. As soon as you do, they will assign you more. The only limit is that they want you to finish everything you started in one six-month semester, because otherwise it affects your completion rate.

It is an IT degree, even with the software emphasis, so you will have to take general IT stuff (A+, basic networks, windows administration, etc.) along with the programming.
  • Options
    They got my Cisco and CompTIA transcripts last week and my CC transcript yesterday. How long does it take to find out how many credits transferred?
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You should receive a response in the next week or so. Now that its the first of May, they will be working on students who will have a June 1 start date. Last week, they would be wrapping up the May 1 start students.
  • Options
    OG MaverickOG Maverick Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I will have my Associates in Information Service Technology at the end of the month and currently have the certs listed under my user name. I'm strongly considering going the WGU route for my BS IT degree. Would it be worth it for me to knock out the MTA certifications before contacting them or just wait and do them as part of the program (I know they will be very easy for me)?

I'm really hoping since I have all of the CompTIA, an Associates, and 3+ years related work experience that I'll be able to eliminate a fair amount of credits.