Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ultimately it's up to you. I had nothing but positive experiences and now I'm a happy graduate. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    PlasticjesusPlasticjesus Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well I am hoping to be in your shoes soon. I had looked into WGU a year or so back and decided not to go because of poor experiences with entrance counselors knowing about their programs. I think everything will be fine once I make it passed enrollment.
  • Options
    Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    While I understand that I had two different counselors respond to me when I requested information. The second one after I had already put in my application and worked with my current enterance counsoler on getting transcripts etc. I am very much getting the impression of one hand not knowing what the other is doing and it makes me hesitant of this school icon_sad.gif

While ECs are a bit of a joke, support has been good. call them back and they will straighten it out.
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cisc0kidd wrote: »
    While ECs are a bit of a joke, support has been good. call them back and they will straighten it out.

I agree with this. I was a bit frustrated at first too, but it got straightened out and I got into my portal quick and got rolling.
  • Options
    swattz101swattz101 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    While I understand that I had two different counselors respond to me when I requested information. The second one after I had already put in my application and worked with my current entrance counselor on getting transcripts etc. I am very much getting the impression of one hand not knowing what the other is doing and it makes me hesitant of this school icon_sad.gif

Once you get past the ECs, things get much better. The ECs have tons of students, and when I was first starting, I was lucky if they remembered my name, even though it should have been in front of them during the call. icon_smile.gif

Once you get to your regular mentor, they still have a bunch of students they work with, but it is much more manageable and they are there to help and encourage you. I believe all of their students are also from the same school (IT vs Teaching vs Nursing) so they will at least be somewhat helpful for your classes. When it comes to the classes themselves, each class has a course mentor that focuses on that course or block of courses.
  • Options
    NonpareilNonpareil Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm interested in an IT career (most likely security). Have been accepted into the IT Management degree program (BS), because of my lack of certs and technical work experience (I was really interested in an IT degree). Would I be okay if I supplemented this degree (IT Management) with a bunch of self-studied certs, or will I need to come back and earn a second BS in IT to be employable. I'm just concerned about wasting the loan money reserved for graduate study on a second bachelors. I'm currently appealing to the College of IT but chances are I'm going to be stuck in the IT management program.
  • Options
    All it takes to get in the IT program is one cert ie CIW, A+, etc. Alternatively you could transfer programs after 1 term assuming you pass at least 1 cert.
  • Options
    NonpareilNonpareil Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nonpareil wrote: »
    I'm interested in an IT career (most likely security). Have been accepted into the IT Management degree program (BS), because of my lack of certs and technical work experience (I was really interested in an IT degree). Would I be okay if I supplemented this degree (IT Management) with a bunch of self-studied certs, or will I need to come back and earn a second BS in IT to be employable. I'm just concerned about wasting the loan money reserved for graduate study on a second bachelors. I'm currently appealing to the College of IT but chances are I'm going to be stuck in the IT management program.
    Thank you. It was just recently brought to my attention that I could transfer. My first cert goals are A+, then Network+, and Security+. Perhaps I'll do that, but is there any advantage to having the IT Mgmt. degree plus additional certs over the IT degree?
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    While I understand that I had two different counselors respond to me when I requested information. The second one after I had already put in my application and worked with my current enterance counsoler on getting transcripts etc. I am very much getting the impression of one hand not knowing what the other is doing and it makes me hesitant of this school icon_sad.gif

Honestly, I have had issues with the school screwing up paperwork or doing something wrong because I asked a question they couldn't answer right away then winged it and got it wrong. The course mentors have been great and my student mentor is good. The actual non-"faculty" has been terrible in general though.
  • Options
    HauntHaunt Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi all, I'm considering withdrawing from WGU and wanted to know what the process is like. Earlier in the year, I went on term break due to personal matters, but recently returned and started a new term in July. I started a new job not long ago and am finding that I don't have the time nor the motivation to continue WGU. I'm finding that it would be a lot easier and less stressful for me to pursue certs on my own rather than through WGU.

Problem is, I received financial aid this term and had my entire tuition paid for by a Pell Grant, so if I withdraw, I'm not sure if WGU would give back the tuition money to FAFSA or if I would be responsible for paying back the entire tuition back to FAFSA. Anyone know how this works?

I'm a bit embarrassed to bring this up to my mentor because I talked with him about possibly not returning to WGU but I decided to return anyway and now I'm realizing it was probably a mistake.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just call financial aid directly and ask them. Eventually you're going to have to bring it up with your mentor anyway, I guess you could just process a full withdraw though other departments but I don't see the point. Really though, if you don't want to do 12 CUs over 6 months time, when you're given support and the entire thing is paid for by the grants, you're likely going to have an even harder time being motivated to do certifications if you're going to have to pay for it yourself, without any support or timelines.

Either way, your decision obviously, but just call financial aid and ask about the grant.
  • Options
    ShdwmageShdwmage Member Posts: 374
    If you started your classes by hitting the enroll button you are financially responsible for the whole term.
    --
    “Hey! Listen!” ~ Navi
    2013: [x] MCTS 70-680
    2014: [x] 22-801 [x] 22-802 [x] CIW Web Foundation Associate
    2015 Goals: [] 70-410
  • Options
    Is there any way for ypu to complete the 12 credits? I am thinking that may be the least painful way.
  • Options
    ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I start WGU in January now, instead of August. I have been studying for the MCSA server 2008/2012 cert. I noticed that the MCSA will bring in a lot of credits towards my IT-Security degree. So that means I won't have the A+, N+, and others that it gets rid of. Is that a big deal?
  • Options
    zidianzidian Member Posts: 132
    Chadius wrote: »
    Is that a big deal?

I think it's a big deal in a positive way. You'll skip the "busy work" classes as passing the MCSA Server means you already have that knowledge (competency).
    WGU BS-IT Software | Completed 9/30/2014
  • Options
    TheChameleonTheChameleon Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That's what I'm trying to do as well (MCSA 200icon_cool.gif. I have a few certs out of the way since Feb/March of this year and with the MCSA and my other certs I might be able to satisfy all the IT requirements and have general Ed courses remaining since I have no prior credits.

If you didn't do the MCSA It seems you need A+, N+, L+ and seems like you still need a MTA exam on top but they may waive the MTAs if you've done the CompTIA, not sure. I'm not sure which path is worse (5 Comptia exams vs 3 Microsoft) but personally I think MCSA would be worth far more career wise than A+, N+ and L+ especially if you don't have experience.

I think MS exams will take 90-120 days to complete so I'm hoping to start WGU Jan as well if I can get through the MCSA.
    Chadius wrote: »
    I start WGU in January now, instead of August. I have been studying for the MCSA server 2008/2012 cert. I noticed that the MCSA will bring in a lot of credits towards my IT-Security degree. So that means I won't have the A+, N+, and others that it gets rid of. Is that a big deal?
  • Options
    selenityhyperionselenityhyperion Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have sent all of my information into WGU and am simply waiting for transcripts to arrive and FAFSA to tell me what I can borrow. I am going in with an AAS in Respiratory Therapy so I should be able to knock out all of the gen ed courses. I am also going to have my CompTIA +. Studying for that right now so I can start the Software Development. Hopefully will start at WGU by February 2015. I wonder what courses will be knocked off with my cert?
    Completed: Starting February 1, 2015
    Needed: C182, EUP1, EUC1, C173, C169, C172, CRV1, C175, C170, TYC1, TYP1, C191, C178, C176, C393, C394, EDV1, TWA1, 3 unkown course numbers
    Transferred: BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, CJC1, IWC1, CLC1, IWT1, BNC1, C278, C164, C132 (33)
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    Shdwmage wrote: »
    WGU sent an email to me with this link. Pretty interesting. White House: WGU is

Cool stuff! WGU has certainly provided opportunities for myself, that would have otherwise been nearly impossible to achieve!!
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    tprice5tprice5 Member Posts: 770
    MS:ISA program. Starting Oct. 1
    Certification To-Do: CEH [ ], CHFI [ ], NCSA [ ], E10-001 [ ], 70-413 [ ], 70-414 [ ]
    WGU MSISA
    Start Date: 10/01/2014 | Complete Date: ASAP
    All Courses: LOT2, LYT2 , UVC2, ORA1, VUT2, VLT2 , FNV2 , TFT2 , JIT2 , FMV2, FXT2 , LQT2
  • Options
    tprice5 wrote: »

Good luck! icon_thumright.gif
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    NOLAJNOLAJ Member Posts: 490
    tprice5 wrote: »

Best of luck!!
    WGU - MBA: I.T. Management --> Graduated!!

WGU -
    B.S. Information Technology—Network Administration --> Graduated!!

:thumbup:
  • Options
    bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Question... I am considering applying for WGU, I have very little knowlege about the school but I can see that it is a respected institution and is highly recommended. I am also noticing that it isn't necessarily easy to get in to. I have about 2 years experience in the IT field and a CCNA, however, I have a spotty history with school at best. I enrolled in college at a time in my life when I just wasn't ready, therefore my transcripts are likely to reflect a pretty poor GPA for the time that I did attend. Is this something that is likely to keep me from being accepted? Can anyone offer advice as to steps I can take to help my chances? If I did attend it wouldn't be for at least 6 months to a year anyway, anything I can do to improve my chances during that time would be helpful. Thanks!
    If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If your old grades are too low to transfer, you'll have to take those courses again. If you already have your CCNA and job experience I'd imagine you can get in on that alone. You should read more here about the school itself, if you don't learn well by yourself, self-directed, without structure, etc, it might not be the best route for you. Otherwise, I thought it was great, but you should understand what you are getting into.
  • Options
    I don't think that will be an issue, I have trained myself for self study with my Cisco and Microsoft certifications, I have had minimal exposure to online college so I at least have somewhat of an idea of what it requires. I just wanted to get an idea if my poor grades in the past would bar me from admission or not. Is it a requirement to submit previous college trnscripts for undergrad courses?
    If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one
  • Options
    Yes, you have to submit transcripts for all classes previously attended but WGU has no gpa requirement. They just want to be sure new students can complete the program.
  • Options
    selenityhyperionselenityhyperion Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I myself had some poor grades when I first attended college. My grades since I left that particular college went to A,B, and some Cs, though. I will let you know what happens when I receive my transcript evaluation.
    Completed: Starting February 1, 2015
    Needed: C182, EUP1, EUC1, C173, C169, C172, CRV1, C175, C170, TYC1, TYP1, C191, C178, C176, C393, C394, EDV1, TWA1, 3 unkown course numbers
    Transferred: BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, CJC1, IWC1, CLC1, IWT1, BNC1, C278, C164, C132 (33)
  • Options
    I myself had some poor grades when I first attended college. My grades since I left that particular college went to A,B, and some Cs, though. I will let you know what happens when I receive my transcript evaluation.

Much oblidged
  • Options
    the_emuthe_emu Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    May 1, 2014 started BS - IT Software.
    Initially, I planned to complete this in 3-4 terms, so I did not start as aggressively as I should have I have completed 19 CUs, after aggressively changing my approach. I should have this completed in 2, max 3 terms. Hope 'tis true!
  • Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    So... Have anyone applied and got into the MSISA without CCNA?
    I have CCENT and been talking to a counselor and he said they are going to go over my experience and see if they can waive it.
    But that for academics/their requirements CCNA is very important.

The thing is that I work with stuff so far beyond ccna...
    Anyways, just wondering if anyone had an experience like that.
    meh
  • Options
    The MS:ISA degree has the following entrance requirements:

WGU Admission Process

To be admitted into this online IT degree program, you must:
    • Apply for admission.
    • Possess a bachelor’s degree from a regionally or nationally accredited institution.
    • Demonstrate IT security experience through at least one of the following three methods:
      • Have earned a bachelor’s degree in IT security or IT networking that covers at least two CISSP CBK domains. (You can find the domains listed here.)
      • Hold a CISSP, CCIE, CCNP, CCNA, or GCWN certification that was earned within the last five years.
      • Submit a resume for review showing recent significant IT security experience, of at least three years, which demonstrates at least two CISSP CBK domains.

Based on these requirements, your resume should allow you entrance into the program if you have over 3 years experience in networking. Update your resume and submit it to them. Embellish your experience if necessary, but don't lie.