Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Apparently Net+ isn't until the 5th term and the only time they'll move it up is if it's work-related. I guess I should take it now, or should I study CCENT and get that passed beforehand instead?

It could save me ~$100 and I do have the 2013 Lammle book here that I enjoyed studying earlier and being that it's a refresher should be ready in 2-3 weeks to test.

Or taking both for ~$400 but that might be a bit unrealistic to do in a month.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    5th term? I've always been told you can take whatever classes you want in whatever order you want minus tech writing / capstone. That was my experience as well. I might have missed something but is the school actually telling you that you have to follow a set order of classes?
  • Options
    pitstoppitstop Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    a small side note on tablets, make sure you have one with a Windows or Mac OS or the option to run them dual boot or in a VM. WGU likes to use videos and training modules that run Silverlight which doesn't play well with Linux and obviously Android. I've never tried a Kindle Fire tablet though.

I travel a lot for work and already own a android tablet which I've altered to be able to boot from Ubuntu on a SD card. I've been partially successful getting it to work running Moonlight, Pipelight, and other alternatives but it's very hit and miss. Sometimes the video would play but the buttons/controls wouldn't show.

I can watch Netflix just fine but WGU videos hated me. Nothing like taking LPIC-1 (Linux+) and finding out you can't use Linux to do so on a 12 hour flight to Europe after I paid for the upgraded wifi access! I ended up buying a very cheap used 2008 Macbook on eBay just to handle silverlight stuff while I was traveling.

Unless someone else can chime in that things have improved in the year or more since I took those courses, be wary of linux based tablets/laptops and linux-only desktops. I know WGU says you must have a Windows or OSX system ... but kind of figured you could use linux to study linux but I was wrong icon_study.gif
  • Options
    Danielm7 yes, the enrollment counselor said I have to follow a degree plan which should look a lot like page 6 of http://www.wgu.edu/wgu/prog_guide/BS_IT_SECU.pdf I was planning on doing a cert every few months with general education in between and hope to be done in 2 years.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    pitstop wrote: »
    I've never tried a Kindle Fire tablet though.
    No good, can't watch them there either. Tried to watch on my fire through rdp to the desktop, but haven't had a good experience with that either.
  • Options
    ksijurksijur Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    Danielm7 yes, the enrollment counselor said I have to follow a degree plan which should look a lot like page 6 of http://www.wgu.edu/wgu/prog_guide/BS_IT_SECU.pdf I was planning on doing a cert every few months with general education in between and hope to be done in 2 years.

You only have to take few classes in certain order, everything else you can shuffle any way u want.
  • Options
    Thanks, I'll take this forums word instead of the enrollment counselor and wait to take Net+ until I'm enrolled and hopefully all goes well.
  • Options
    TomkoTechTomkoTech Member Posts: 438
    The enrollment counselor isn't who you worry about it with. Once you are enrolled you get assigned your personal mentor. You and your mentor discuss what courses you are taking and you both have to "approve" and enroll in the courses each term. Forget the enrollment counselor.

Once you are assigned your mentor you tell them which courses you want to take.
  • Options
    techfiend wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll take this forums word instead of the enrollment counselor and wait to take Net+ until I'm enrolled and hopefully all goes well.

No problem ;) As a matter of fact, I got my A+ as a way to get into WGU (unintentionally) and my mentor told me.. "Well, since you got A+ and some stuff from it is in Net+, let's put Net+ into your first term..."
  • Options
    selenityhyperionselenityhyperion Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Nice, ksijur. Glad that ended up working out for you.

I myself have to figure out if I am going to get a Microsoft cert in Windows 7, CIW Javascript, or the OCA Java SE 7 cert to get into WGU. Programming has always been a personal hobby passion of mine that I used to disappear into for days at a time but lately I have not had the motivation to study because I don't know if I can even get a job in Software Development. Why waste the money if I can't find a job, right?

But anyways - glad you got that straightened out!
    Completed: Starting February 1, 2015
    Needed: C182, EUP1, EUC1, C173, C169, C172, CRV1, C175, C170, TYC1, TYP1, C191, C178, C176, C393, C394, EDV1, TWA1, 3 unkown course numbers
    Transferred: BVC1, TBP1, TCP1, CJC1, IWC1, CLC1, IWT1, BNC1, C278, C164, C132 (33)
  • Options
    EyeTea_DudeEyeTea_Dude Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good day everyone, I hope you can help me with a question I have, I would like to pursue a BS IT Sec degree at WGU, problem being
    I am in South Africa, which obviously means i'd have to move to America, luckily I have an uncle and aunt who live there and who I've visited before who would be willing to let me stay with them for the duration of the course. What I want to know is would I be able to get a student visa from WGU(since it is an Online Uni) so that I can move to VA. I tried to ask this to the WGU enrollment people but as soon as I registered it saw my location and sent me the standard "we only serve students in America". Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
  • Options
    EyeTea_Dude WGU does not appear to be on the approved list.

Read about student visas here:
    Student Visa

Download the approved school list here:
    School Search | Study in the States
  • Options
    ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I officially start on January 1st. Going for the BSIT-Security. Here is what I have left to graduate:
    Courses left at WGU for graduation:

EUP1 – 1
    EUC1 – 2
    CRV1 – 4
    C220 – 3
    C221 – 3
    C246 – 6
    C247 – 6
    BNC1 – 3
    MGC1 – 4
    C299 – 3
    CTV1 – 4
    DJV1 – 4
    DHV1 – 3
    CUV1 – 4
    CJV1 – 4
    TPV1 – 6
    C393 – 4
    C394 – 4

I transferred in an associates degree. So all gen ed is complete. Are any of these classes the type you can take a higher version and it completes a lower class in the process? I figure two sessions to complete all of this coursework, plus tech writing and capstone. Not sure why those two classes are not mentioned on the transcript eval.

Any words of wisdom? :P

Thanks
  • Options
    Chadius wrote: »
    I officially start on January 1st. Going for the BSIT-Security. Here is what I have left to graduate:
    Courses left at WGU for graduation:

EUP1 – 1
    EUC1 – 2
    CRV1 – 4
    C220 – 3
    C221 – 3
    C246 – 6
    C247 – 6
    BNC1 – 3
    MGC1 – 4
    C299 – 3
    CTV1 – 4
    DJV1 – 4
    DHV1 – 3
    CUV1 – 4
    CJV1 – 4
    TPV1 – 6
    C393 – 4
    C394 – 4

I transferred in an associates degree. So all gen ed is complete. Are any of these classes the type you can take a higher version and it completes a lower class in the process? I figure two sessions to complete all of this coursework, plus tech writing and capstone. Not sure why those two classes are not mentioned on the transcript eval.

Any words of wisdom? :P

Thanks

EUP1 and EUC1 when CUV1 is completed
    DHV1 when C220 and C221 are completed
  • Options
    TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    Hello guys... I completed my registration to WGU and waiting on my transfer evaluation. I have 2 question. What classes CCNA and CCNA security satisfies? I already have CCNA, and I am currently studying CCNA-Security.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • Options
    Well you need a new transfer eval if you have yet to complete the CCNA Security. However if you look at the degree track PDF it will tell you what courses have the CCENT/CCNA and the CCNA Security as the exam for it.
  • Options
    MattyIceVAMattyIceVA Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just got my associates in Business and interested in taking additional IT courses. Can someone tell me why Western Governors University is the way to go? It must be decent if there is 163 pages in this thread.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Matt: I also started with an AS in Business, the vast majority of my gen eds were waived. WGU is not for everybody, but if you're motivated it can work out great!
  • Options
    Certifications being the 'final test of the course' is what attracted me. I think it makes much more sense to have a certificate to verify what you know as opposed to a graded course. Certificates also work well on a resume.
  • Options
    The reason WGU was the best option for me was that working full time I don't always have the ability to follow a schedule for school. With WGU it is as close to 100% you set the schedule as you go as you are going to get. Doing online courses at local colleges require you to log in X amount of times a week. Complete assignments weekly and participate in group discussions.

Where as with WGU it is 100% on you to study and learn the material. No one holding your hand. You learn as fast or slow as you want. You can complete 3 courses in a term or you can complete 20 courses in a term. It is all based on your existing knowledge and ability to learn on your own.
  • Options
    CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Anyone know if WGU has changed the exam scheduling? I am taking C220(part 1 of Linux+) and it didn't give me the usual options to select the date, exam location, etc. Only "request exam voucher" or something like that. Also, the assessment doesn't even show up as C220 when you request to take it, it says "ENV1" ..can't find that code anywhere, weird.
  • Options
    You have to get approval for the voucher before you can set the exam date and location. As for the course code you should call your mentor about that. If they did change your course they should have asked you first, and discussed it.
  • Options
    Did anyone else catch the WGU commercial during White Collar on USA tonight?

It's a very respectable, expensive ad too, not some local college type ad. Maybe this will stop interviewers from asking what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuEVYqNWePs it's a 30s cut of an old ad but the first time I've seen wgu on TV.
  • Options
    xengorethxengoreth Member Posts: 117 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've worked in IT for 16 years at this point. I am trying to determine if WGU is the best way for me to finish my degree.

I have read extensively about their "comptency based learning" model and, if it works as advertised, my broad technical background should make passing most of the assessments quite easy.

I only have a Sec+ to transfer in, since I've never really prioritized certifications. I'll also be sitting for the VCP on 18-Nov-2014, but I understand that doesn't count for any transfer credit. I also have been putting off my CCNA due to a number of things going on in my personal life and at work, so I am debating holding off until I also sit for that certification.

I guess the other question is whether I should be looking at the Software Development degree. I have an extensive scripting/programming background in addition to the general sysadmin skills. IT - Security would be my other option. The only downside is there are more than a few certifications that I am completely uninterested in (A+, CIW *, Project+, specifically) except in the context of completion of degree requirements. I will probably just omit a lot of them from my resume.

From the previous coursework front, I have a ton of transfer credits, so I hope to be get 50% of my course work as transfer credit (or greater). I'd really like to sit down and just get this done, but not to be harshly penalized if I have been in the past for travelling for a week (or three) during a term for work.

So I guess, the question is which degree is appropriate for me and if it is the IT Security degree if I should wait to enroll until I have gotten my CCNA. I need the cert sooner than later so if it ends up being in the last three hours of my degree or whatever, it just won't work for me!
    2018 Goals: CCNP R/S, VCP6-NV
  • Options
    You have to decide what degree is best for you. There is a world of difference from designing software/programming and Security/Networking. You can ignore the certs you don't care about. Look at the core classes. You mention the CCNA as something you have put off. That is part of the Security track. You mention a vmware cert. That tells me that either the network admin or security tracks would suit your current skills. But if you have the desire to learn Java and become a programmer then by all means go for software development.

As for being punished for traveling. I completely blew off my first term at WGU. I waited 3 months before even starting any of the courses. I did the 3 classes for the CIW and A+ in the 4th and 5th month. And waited literally until the last week to do the Microsoft Windows 7 and Principles of Management classes. Just be honest with your mentor and ensure them you can get done what needs to and no one give syou **** about anything.

As for the CCNA. If you know the material get it before. If you don't then just make sure it's in your first term. They use CBT Nuggets, Transcender, and other resources that will all be included with your tuition. And they pay for your first 2 attempts at the cert.
  • Options
    I've had the enrollment interview scheduled twice now, the first time was cancelled due to a phone issue, second time was on my end due to the phone line wasn't working wednesday this week. I called when I realized the phone wasn't working which was an hour within of my appointment and left a message. No call yesterday, today I get called saying occupancy is full for December and the earliest I can get in is January. I had been studying for my next cert and going to pretty much stop now and I have a bunch of resumes out there stating I'm starting in December. I am getting quite frustrated with all of this. Has anyone else had this sort of experience? Should I keep to this or should I request a different enrollment counselor?
  • Options
    enrollment is the weakest point of WGU. I had tons of frustration with that process myself. Just hang in there...
  • Options
    I'll give it one more chance, I should have wrote that it was twice in 2 months and both times have been delayed until next month. I was accepted at the end of September and had my first interview scheduled around Oct. 10 and was supposed to start Nov. 1. They couldn't schedule another interview until after the 15th so pushed to December.

I realize this last time was an issue on my end but I really don't think it should have been a 46 hour delay for them to return my call just to say I have to wait yet another month.

I'm shocked they have a full occupancy for an online college. Maybe they are busy but in that case you'd think they'd prioritize those who have been waiting the longest but I'm guessing that isn't the case.
  • Options
    GuistinoGuistino Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I filled out all the paperwork and they gave me the same story yesterday. I was hoping to start December 1 but they said they "capped out" and I have to start in January.
  • Options
    bugzy3188bugzy3188 Member Posts: 213 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Anyone know where to find drivers for the webcam? They sent a disc but my laptop doesn't have a disc drive (as most don't these days...tisk tisk) and there isn't a model number for me to reference anywhere. It does say that it was made in China though....that really narrows it down...
    If you havin frame problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a switch ain't one