Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Looks like I'd have more of that done, damn.

Again, some of that is just course restructuring, so it'll have a new wrapper but with the same great flavor. You know more about what you have completed prior to WGU than I do, but they were generous with the transfer evaluation in my opinion (US History satisfied a Geography requirement for one). You may be further along than you think.
  • Options
    nsternster Member Posts: 231
    aww man the changes seem to make the MCSA less relevant and adds courses not so interesting to me :/ Personally am interested in BSIT NA and transfering in an MCSA and Project + near the end of summer

Here is where you can find the transfer guidelines: ***
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey Guys,

On 2/9 I made an online request for transcripts through my most recent school. On Wednesday I mailed the papers to another school, and dropped off the papers in person at the third school (2/11). WGU today said they have nothing still. Does this seem normal? Perhaps I should do something or maybe this takes some time? I obviously paid fees for these things so I'm kind of frustrated. Fingers crossed it all works out.
  • Options
    Ugh, my enrollment counselor emailed me today saying I have to send my transcripts in! So frustrating. Called every school and ended up not getting to speak to anyone and left a message.

Is this accurate???

[TH="class: Grp_STU_TRANSCRIPT_REQUESTS left"]Recipient[/TH]
    [TH="class: Grp_STU_TRANSCRIPT_REQUESTS left"]Modifier[/TH]
    [TH="class: Grp_STU_TRANSCRIPT_REQUESTS left"]Address[/TH]
    [TH="class: Grp_STU_TRANSCRIPT_REQUESTS left"]City, State Zip[/TH]
    [TH="class: Grp_STU_TRANSCRIPT_REQUESTS right"]Number of Copies[/TH]
    [TH="class: Grp_STU_TRANSCRIPT_REQUESTS right"]Date Requested[/TH]
    [TH="class: Grp_STU_TRANSCRIPT_REQUESTS right"]Date Produced[/TH]
    [TH="class: Grp_STU_TRANSCRIPT_REQUESTS right"]Amount Charged[/TH]
    [TH="class: Grp_STU_TRANSCRIPT_REQUESTS right"]Amount Received[/TH]

To:

Western Governors University

Attn: Transcript DEPT 4001 S. 700 East, STE 700

Salt Lake City, UT 84107

02/09/15

02/09/15

• Options
    ElegyxElegyx Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hurricane I'm a bit confused as to what exactly you're doing wrong?

You go to the web site, request the transcripts and put in the address where to send them to (WGU), pay the fee and then voila. That's it.

Here's the correct address below. I just actually sent my transcripts from 2 different colleges that I went to and they received them the other day.

ATTN: Transcripts Department
    4001 South 700 East, Suite 700
    Salt Lake City, UT 84107
  • Options
    I understand the anticipation...days seem like months waiting on it all to go through.

My previous school required a signature on transcript requests so I just faxed it to them (for some reason they won't accept scanned PDF copies). I don't have the file with me that has the transcript request date papers, but I received the "how to request transcripts" email from my enrollment guy on 1/6/2014 and I didn't get notification of transcript being received until 1/27/2014 and my transfer evaluation was sent on 1/29/2014. So somewhere in that time frame I sent mine in.

I think I called my enrollment counselor a few times in there as well, but he said until it's received and entered he couldn't tell me anything...it could have been on a pile in someone's office for a week for all I know.

As for the school you mailed stuff to, take into account mail time there, the time it takes them to get around to it, and the mail time to WGU.
  • Options
    Elegyx wrote: »
    Hurricane I'm a bit confused as to what exactly you're doing wrong?

You go to the web site, request the transcripts and put in the address where to send them to (WGU), pay the fee and then voila. That's it.

Here's the correct address below. I just actually sent my transcripts from 2 different colleges that I went to and they received them the other day.

ATTN: Transcripts Department
    4001 South 700 East, Suite 700
    Salt Lake City, UT 84107

I don't think I've done anything wrong! Anyways, I just got an e-mail saying they received one of my transcripts, so that's cool. They aren't expecting one from one of the colleges I've attended (the one I did not graduate from), maybe I neglected to say I went there on my application? I took Java there so I kind of wanted to transfer it in.

It took me a year to receive my degree via mail. I called every now and then and was always told "sorry we'll send it" so I can extremely low confidence in people unfortunately. I love when I can do things myself but I just didn't have time to drive to Utah this weekend!

Update: One school just simply did not send it yet. Contacted them and it's going out today now. Funny how that works I guess.
  • Options
    ksijurksijur Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did any1 got their hands on latest degree plans? Specifically IT Sec. Latest one I got is 12/24/14 obtained from wgu.edu but from speaking to the mentor, there is revision from 2015 she just "didn't have it yet."
  • Options
    ksijurksijur Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jak096 wrote: »

thanks...
    darn it.. looks like they are keeping finite math in there icon_sad.gif
    the one i had didn't list it anymore...
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Anyone have pointers on CVV1, MS Database Fundamentals? How close to the real test is the MeasureUp exam?
  • Options
    Good news, my mentor emailed me yesterday morning that "they" have decided to let C169 satisfy the requirement for C173.

If you have some exisiting Java skills you can skip the Python stuff.
  • Options
    MattyIceVAMattyIceVA Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am thinking about going back to school for IT Security. I have my associates of Business and my A+ certification. Anyone know how good WGU is about transfering credits/certs?

Thanks!
  • Options
    MattyIceVA wrote: »
    I am thinking about going back to school for IT Security. I have my associates of Business and my A+ certification. Anyone know how good WGU is about transfering credits/certs?

Thanks!

I have an AS in IT from a community college + some other completed coursework at Montclair in Jersey. They're reviewing my transcripts now so I'll let you know how many credits they'll apply to the Bachelors degree. The only issue I might run into is that I completed my college courses about 4 years ago so it's like right on the line of whether or not most of the credits will transfer. Crossing my fingers.
  • Options
    Still waiting on one last transcript to be received by WGU. Guessing it won't happen until Thursday or Friday. Slow process.
  • Options
    dark3ddark3d Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Transfer or not, this is definitely the fastest track to completing/obtaining your degree.
    CISSP - January 2015
    WGU B.S. IT - Security (2/1/2015-6/16/2015)
    Working on: MSISA/Radware/Fortinet/Juniper/PAN

• Options
    The only issue I might run into is that I completed my college courses about 4 years ago so it's like right on the line of whether or not most of the credits will transfer. Crossing my fingers.

The 5-year cutoff is only for certifications to count as credit. WGU took prior college work I completed back to my first semester at a community college in the fall of 2000. I started at WGU back in March 2014. As far as your college transcripts go, there shouldn't be anything to worry about. :)

-EDIT-

That is, of course, unless something has REALLY changed since I started.
  • Options
    Still waiting on one last transcript to be received by WGU. Guessing it won't happen until Thursday or Friday. Slow process.

It'll happen. The end of the month is a busy time for them because it's the end of a term/degree completion for a lot of students and there are more waiting to start at the first of the following month. Imagine a brick-n-mortar school dealing with the end of a spring semester every month. :)
  • Options
    GSXR750K2 wrote: »
    The 5-year cutoff is only for certifications to count as credit. WGU took prior college work I completed back to my first semester at a community college in the fall of 2000. I started at WGU back in March 2014. As far as your college transcripts go, there shouldn't be anything to worry about. :)

-EDIT-

That is, of course, unless something has REALLY changed since I started.

Wow! That's awesome to know man! I had thought this entire time it was ALL coursework needs to be within 5 years. I'll see how much they transfer over from my prior schooling but that's great news.
  • Options
    So got my transfer evaluation tonight and it looks like they're accepting 64 credits from my previous coursework. Is that what one would expect from having an AS degree in IT?

These are the courses that are met.

C179,C376,C182,C255,C168,C393,C394,C132,C100,C172,C173,C278,C175,C164,C451,C459,C457,C455,C456

Hopefully I'm ahead of the game.
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    They knocked out all your lower level GE requirements and any matching IT coursework. Sounds about right as 64 is about half of the 120 units.
  • Options
    Still waiting on one transcript. Also need to fill out the FAFSA, apparently the 2015-2016 was not the one I needed to fill out but no one bothered to say anything until I asked today.

Good job on getting 64 credits. I'm transferring in an IT AAS and a Liberal Arts AS + some classes from a 4 year school + certifications, so I'm really hoping for a huge chunk to be accepted it (I think max is 90 CU).
  • Options
    TR4V1STYTR4V1STY Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Still waiting on one transcript. Also need to fill out the FAFSA, apparently the 2015-2016 was not the one I needed to fill out but no one bothered to say anything until I asked today.

Good job on getting 64 credits. I'm transferring in an IT AAS and a Liberal Arts AS + some classes from a 4 year school + certifications, so I'm really hoping for a huge chunk to be accepted it (I think max is 90 CU).

I might be having the same issue as you with the FAFSA.

I filled out the FAFSA for the 2015-16 year on the fafsa government website. The my.wgu.edu portal does not have a spot for the 2015-16 year, only the 2014-15 year.

I think it might be an issue with the my.wgu portal, maybe the web dev's haven't created the page for that?

EDIT: My enrollment counselor says i must also submit my 14/15 year FAFSA to continue...
  • Options
    So got my transfer evaluation tonight and it looks like they're accepting 64 credits from my previous coursework. Is that what one would expect from having an AS degree in IT?

These are the courses that are met.

C179,C376,C182,C255,C168,C393,C394,C132,C100,C172,C173,C278,C175,C164,C451,C459,C457,C455,C456

Hopefully I'm ahead of the game.

Not bad at all. You should be able to knock out the B.S. in a year and a half. I came in with 42 units (no associates, several IT certs) last March and will finish the end of my 2nd term this month with 92 units (no wife, kids, etc. to occupy my waking hours). It's been a lot of work, but I'm going to try to make this next term my last one.

Don't forget to ask your mentor about what courses supersede and satisfy some lower level courses so you can skip some classes all together.

On second thought, you may not have many lower level classes left with that many satisfied. Still never hurts to ask though. :)
  • Options
    H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So, a few things I've recently learned... wanted to ask you guys about, 1. Students MUST use a WGU-issued web cam for all WGU-proctored exams. Can anyone tell me why this is? I mean I have a perfectly functioning stand alone webcam already... I've heard about fish-eye lenses being on the WGU ones? Why? My biggest issue for this is that I live in Canada and need to wait for it's arrival before I can book an exam, and then when I book an exam I need to book it at least 5 days in advance of taking it... Why? this sounds like a huge waste of my time... I don't get it.

Secondly, I've looked through a lot of courses I need to knock out, and I keep seeing courses that have a practical assessment where I need to create a presentation, and then record myself presenting it and submit it for evaluation. How harsh do they judge on these? Can I wear Pajamas, do I need to dress professionally? can it just be a face shot? can I edit it, or do I need to do it in one perfect take? I'd love to hear from some of you have have done these assessments before, to me they seem painful/annoying.
  • Options
    jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226
    Why would waiting for the camera be an issue? It's not like you will be ready to take tests the day you start and it's not like you have to get a new camera for each exam. They send you one and use use it when you are ready to take the test. As to why you need to book 5 days in advance, its because you are not the only student and they have to give the proctors their schedules in advance to guarantee availability. How is this not common sense?

I can't answer the rest of the questions because I didn't have to deal with video presentations.
  • Options
    earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    1. It is not your typical webcam. The WGU webcam does have fisheye lenses as well as special software (on their side) that allows them to do various functions using that particular special camera. The hardware itself is a normal camera except each individual camera that is sent out has special software that compliments the proctor's software on their end. Call WGU and ask if they can send your welcome kit sooner. When I called them to inquire about the kit, they said it was still processing. Mind you, this was the week I started. I asked if they can somehow "rush" it, and they did. I received it two days after.

2. I heard that the presentations can be just slideshows or full on movie/slideshows with (depending on the subject) you requiring to show your face and/or entire body. That may or may not be a factor in your case. Showing your face should be the least of your worries. The key part about passing presentations, papers, projects at WGU is to STICK TO THE RUBRIC.Everything else will follow and you will receive more information once you get to that point.
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019
  • Options
    H3||scr3amH3||scr3am Member Posts: 564 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jtoast wrote: »
    Why would waiting for the camera be an issue? It's not like you will be ready to take tests the day you start and it's not like you have to get a new camera for each exam. They send you one and use use it when you are ready to take the test. As to why you need to book 5 days in advance, its because you are not the only student and they have to give the proctors their schedules in advance to guarantee availability. How is this not common sense?

I can't answer the rest of the questions because I didn't have to deal with video presentations.

I actually am ready for one at least currently (more then likely 2 Intro to Probability & Statistics), Intro to IT course is in my first term and I did the pre-assessment and am ready for the exam without any further study, so I was hoping to get it out of the way on the 1st, to invigorate myself to tackle the courses that I'll require preparation for, and like I said it seems I'll have to wait like 2+ weeks to actually write the darn exam, which sucks for me.
  • Options
    If I'm transferring in my AS in IT (64 credits total from previous coursework), will I still have to take the test for the A+ cert? I thought I read somewhere that a person enrolled and had enough credits that WGU just awarded him the cert? Maybe I read that wrong, not worried about it either way. Just one less thing to do if true though.
  • Options
    earonw49earonw49 Member Posts: 190 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I'm transferring in my AS in IT (64 credits total from previous coursework), will I still have to take the test for the A+ cert? I thought I read somewhere that a person enrolled and had enough credits that WGU just awarded him the cert? Maybe I read that wrong, not worried about it either way. Just one less thing to do if true though.

If you already have the cert (and transfered it) then yes, it clears the requirements and you knock out two classes. If you don't have the cert, you still have to take the classes associated with the A+ and the exams for the final. WGU won't just hand you a cert in exchange for college credits.
    WGU B.S. IT - Progress: Feb 2015 - End Date Jan 2018
    WGU M.S Cyber Security & Assurance - Progress: March 2019 - End Date June 2019