Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    In theory, if it takes you 4 years to complete the degree...you'll just keep paying. Same thing for the few who have completed it in 6 months.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you are required to do 12 CU's per term, you might get away with it once but if it persists they could drop you, but could be wrong. Also my student mentor won't enroll me in a course if it's not going to be complete when the term ends, don't know if there's a reason for it. It's easy to work around since the only thing you need to be enrolled for is the final tests and submitting projects.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am taking Javascript for the second time now. I didnt finish it because i ran out of time. Now im against the wire and i have what, 10 days, to take and pass my exam before the end of my term. Sigh. I hate Javascript.
  • Options
    d4nz1gd4nz1g Member Posts: 464
    Do they accept students that are not located in US?

Really interested in their BS ans MS programs
  • Options
    SmiliesSmilies Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
    d4nz1g wrote: »
    Do they accept students that are not located in US?

Really interested in their BS ans MS programs

I just found out today under the 'request for more information' that their services aren't open to non USA, Canada, Military students. That was a major let down because I was very interested on signing up and continuing my education. Does anyone else have other options that are similar in curriculum to WGU?
  • Options
    CenponCenpon Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What order to take classes (BS IT-Security) Starting Aug 1st!!!!

I am excited to read how fast people are getting through their degree.
    However I have yet to read what order people took classes to get more CU's in each semester.
    All advice is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    ^ Based on your font size I can tell you are super duper excited icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    TR4V1STYTR4V1STY Member Posts: 62 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cenpon wrote: »
    What order to take classes

Your assigned mentor will most likely decide this for you.

My mentor worked with me and pushed some of (what i consider) the easy classes to the front.
  • Options
    CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just failed C278, college algebra. Probably my weakest subject by far and it doesn't help that I also think it's the most pointless subject ever(words cannot describe the hate lol), so a little difficult to get motivated enough to properly study.

This is the first class I've failed and think it was good for me, motivating for sure.
  • Options
    cvuong1984cvuong1984 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello All,

Quick question here, just wondering if anyone else is doing this.

I graduated from WGU, in Dec 2013, with a BS:IT. At the time, I mainly just wanted to finish my degree and I was also in the systems administration field. So the degree works out with my field. I have since moved to Cyber Security, was thinking about getting an MS:IT Security, however I feel it would be more beneficial for myself to get a BS:IT Security first.

Have any of you taken 2 BS degrees from WGU?
    X
  • Options
    Codyy wrote: »
    Just failed C278, college algebra. Probably my weakest subject by far and it doesn't help that I also think it's the most pointless subject ever(words cannot describe the hate lol), so a little difficult to get motivated enough to properly study.

This is the first class I've failed and think it was good for me, motivating for sure.

I feel you dude. It has been seven years since high school & Algebra for me. I passed, but it was no cakewalk.

I found Khan Academy videos helpful for tough subjects. A second teaching style from the WGU provided curriculum. Then go through most of the interactive stuff that the book provides.

just my 2 cents
  • Options
    cvuong1984: I don't see the benefit of 2 IT BS degrees. I'd suggest going for the masters but you need one of the required certs to enroll.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I completely agree that two BS degrees in IT would be a waste of time and money. Either pursue an MS degree in whatever concentration you are interested in, or focus on accruing related professional experience and certifications. Study and lab at home in your free time. Ultimately, experience is king.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    cvuong1984cvuong1984 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    techfiend wrote: »
    cvuong1984: I don't see the benefit of 2 IT BS degrees. I'd suggest going for the masters but you need one of the required certs to enroll.

I was thinking if i went for the MS: Security degree, I may not have the knowledge gained from the BS: IT Sec degree.
    I would be kinda starting behind the curve. But, I understand what you are saying.

Definitely have to think it over.
    X
  • Options
    The only infosec related courses would be for Sec+, CCNA, CCNA Sec and potentially Linux+. If you wanted all of them you could self study for a lot less than $3000.
  • Options
    Ajay_patil22Ajay_patil22 Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi All

Have been trolling around techexams for a bit. Thanks for all the good information you folks have shared here. I will be starting WGU-BS-IT from 1st August 2015. Although I have a 20 year old Bachelors equivalent from India in Computer Science, none of the credits transferred except for 3. Looking forward to get my degree as fast as I can. This won't add much to my career, but I am very exited about getting a degree from a reputed University in the US.

p.s - Just so that other international aspirants of WGU are aware; I am currently working in the US on a non immigrant visa. Your presence in the US is required to secure admission.
  • Options
    Does WGU ever let you know if you pass/fail the readiness assessment? I took it a few years ago and assumed I passed. My portal still says Complete for each task. I can't find any record of being told, but my counselor today says I apparently didn't pass it back then. :-\

EDIT - So apparently today, new students with IT certifications don't even have to take the assessment. But because I took it previously, I have to take it again. They even said the part I did not pass on was the admissions/survey portion. Not even the academic stuff.

I have same certs and nearly 10 years in the industry and they won't make an exception. Ridiculous.
  • Options
    thexfilesthexfiles Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have been trying to get into WGU for a couple months now and I was told that I would need to get a cert to pass. I have no IT experience but I believe that I could study for network + and pass the exam and use that to get into.

I am thinking either going the software route or the security route.

Now I have also about 37 community college credits. Non of which are math or science related, all other general eds.

Could I do clep exams, Dsst exams, sophia, straighterline or teex cyber security coures to get into WGU? will WGU take teex?

what other methods might help me get into the program and avoid me having to pay close to 300 bucks for the network + exam
  • Options
    goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181
    thexfiles wrote: »
    [...] I was told that I would need to get a cert to pass. [...]

Did they say any cert, or were they specific? Just curious what they actually told you. If you don't want to pony up the 300 or whatever for the Network+, and they'll take any cert, you could do a Microsoft one. I think those are only 150 and some include a second shot for free.
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    Next up: eCPPT, eWDP, eWPT, eMAPT
  • Options
    bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    I have been trying to get into WGU for a couple months now and I was told that I would need to get a cert to pass. I have no IT experience but I believe that I could study for network + and pass the exam and use that to get into.

I am thinking either going the software route or the security route.

Now I have also about 37 community college credits. Non of which are math or science related, all other general eds.

Could I do clep exams, Dsst exams, sophia, straighterline or teex cyber security coures to get into WGU? will WGU take teex?

what other methods might help me get into the program and avoid me having to pay close to 300 bucks for the network + exam

I did DSST for the Speech/Public speaking class for my associates and it transferred into the program successfully.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • Options
    I was told that it would have to be one of the exams that you take during the program. So a+, security +, project +, basically any exams that you take during the program.

but the reason I asked here is because I am pretty sure there are other ways to bypass this. I remember reading about it but just can't remember where.

I do know teex offers free ace accredited courses that I have been told wgu will accept. It is in their cyber security tract program and I believe you can get up to 6 ace credits. I don't know how many wgu accepts but I will start them this week and just get through them.

I also want to do alekks for the math and any other Clep exams that may help me bypass some classes. I'd like to get rid of as many credits as possible before enrolling

also this might be a strange question but what degree do you guys believe would be the most versatile/ useful degree for me to pursue.
  • Options
    I got in after taking the Win8: Configuration cert test... That's the only cert I held at the time.

I also have six years of full time Desktop support experience.
  • Options
    anyone have any experience in seeing if WGU will accept the Teex Cyber Security courses for any of the IT program (I believe they are through FEMA and they are are ACE accredited)

https://teex.org/Pages/Program.aspx?catID=607&courseTitle=Cybersecurity
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    anyone have any experience in seeing if WGU will accept the Teex Cyber Security courses for any of the IT program (I believe they are through FEMA and they are are ACE accredited)

Typically they only accept certifications that apply directly to the courses; ie A+ for the Intro to Computers Course which is the A+ for the final or College/University courses for general education.

If you did not get a cert, they do not offer the same cert or your courses were not tied to a cert they recognize then there is no credit to give. Your best option is to contact an enrollment councilor to verify if they will be able to use it and what if anything it will cover.
  • Options
    jtoastjtoast Member Posts: 226

Here's the list of transferable certifications. You will probably have issues getting credit for any certs not on that list.

Transferable IT Certifications | WGU Online IT Certification
  • Options
    Update.

They reset my assessments, but did not do Math. So I took the others. No completion was marked so I got worried and verified they did receive them. After my enrollment counselor worked all week with admissions and IT, they finally decided to waive the assessments given my certifications. Different than the response that another person first gave me.

Karma? I think so.

Now just have to get my transcripts from my technical school to them and I will probably start September 1st.
  • Options
    oursfan80oursfan80 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys. Just a general question about wgu. Are there teachers or professors readily available to ask questions or guide you through the class like a normal college? What I'm gathering is that it's just study for a particular class or subject, pass the test and get credit for that course. A course is not a full semester long ordeal with a teacher like other schools.
  • Options
    goatamagoatama Member Posts: 181
    oursfan80 wrote: »
    Hey guys. Just a general question about wgu. Are there teachers or professors readily available to ask questions or guide you through the class like a normal college? What I'm gathering is that it's just study for a particular class or subject, pass the test and get credit for that course. A course is not a full semester long ordeal with a teacher like other schools.

WGU isn't really designed for students that need to be guided through the course. The class mentors offer guidance and sometimes they have some "**** sheets", if you will, for ways to get the knowledge you need quickly and efficiently. I think Biology was the only course I took where I went through the whole class as it's structured. The course of study is designed so that if you have experience/knowledge about a topic you can skip that module. As far as cert exams, I usually just read the book they recommended and took the assessment.

Student mentors are there to keep you on track, help you set goals, give you study ideas, etc. There really isn't an equivalent to "professors" at WGU.

Hope this helps.
    WGU - MSISA - Done!!
    Next up: eCPPT, eWDP, eWPT, eMAPT
  • Options
    Ajay_patil22Ajay_patil22 Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    13 Days to go before I start my BS-IT. Currently I am going through the Orientation :). I was supposed to start on 1st July and was studying for A+ 801 and 802. July 1st did not work out and I opted for 1st August. Meanwhile, I booked my 801 and 802 exams for 07/08 and 07/15 and Passed both with a 736 and 789 respectively!!!.

I just turned in my A+ transcripts to WGU and waiting on getting those CUs transferred.

I enrolled with only 3 CUs. How many more CUs will A+ give me?
  • Options
    redworldredworld Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just turned in my A+ transcripts to WGU and waiting on getting those CUs transferred.

I enrolled with only 3 CUs. How many more CUs will A+ give me?
    8 CUs. 4 each for IT Foundations and IT Applications.