Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    JasionoJasiono Member Posts: 896 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was told that unless the certification was earned as PART of the coursework, it will not count for credit. Any certifications earned have to be submitted before your enrollment date.

That's the thing, the CCNA is part of my coursework, but I also have network+ within my required courses.

Silly if you ask me, making me take the CCNA before the network+, but whatever.

My mentor said it will be no problem having them take off the Network+ once I pass ICND2

I wonder if they would let me take Network+ in leu of CCNA Security since the current CCNA Security is being retired in December lol.

I DOUBT IT
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well look at it this way: if you can pass the tests to make a CCNA, you should have no problem with Network+.
  • Options
    techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd take the CCNA first because there's a lot of overlap. If you are studying the CCNA security December I wouldn't be too concerned, I don't think it's going to be a very drastic change and it should be greatly improved. Currently a lot of CCP on the test and it sounds like they are replacing it with more common gui tools like ASDM. CCP isn't a very large part of the study material and ASDM is introduced in the current OCG.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    Yah the course mentor confirmed that the new material will be up soon. I have another 8 weeks left in this semester and I already did my initial course load, so I'm starting my ICND2 studies next week (taking the weekend off). Gotta catch up on some relaxation.
  • Options
    techfiend wrote: »
    I'd take the CCNA first because there's a lot of overlap. If you are studying the CCNA security December I wouldn't be too concerned, I don't think it's going to be a very drastic change and it should be greatly improved. Currently a lot of CCP on the test and it sounds like they are replacing it with more common gui tools like ASDM. CCP isn't a very large part of the study material and ASDM is introduced in the current OCG.

Does the CCNA Security deal with GUI mainly? No IOS as in routing and switching???
  • Options
    Mainly would probably be general security but there's plenty of cli too, not just ios, focusing on acl's but these are a large part of the ocg.
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I thought I had the answer to my question when I saw the Linux+ classes replace the windows client exams in my degree plan, but now that I look again I see the two windows 8 classes are back and python popped up too. I'm curious, but all set till February so I might just wait and see what happens in a few months.
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How many classes would I have to take if I transferred in a bachelor's from another university and have a CCNA R&S, Network+, and finish Linux+ before enrolling?
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    You won't know for sure until WGU looks at your transcripts. My guess would be not a lot. Depending on the track you choose, you could be done in as little as 6 months. 12 months tops.

But why spend time/money to get another Bachelors?
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    thomas_thomas_ Member Posts: 1,012 ■■■■■■■■□□
    SteveLord wrote: »
    But why spend time/money to get another Bachelors?

I'm just wondering if a degree in IT would help get considered for some jobs requiring a Bachelor's in a "related field". Current Bachelors is in business and not really related to technology.

Also, I have about 6 months left on my GI Bill. I figured doing the WGU thing could help me use up the rest of the GI Bill, get some certs, and provide a little bit of income in 2-3 months when I start if I don't find a job before then. If I did find a job then it would be online, so I could continue on with it

On the other hand I'm wondering if it will be overkill adding on another Bachelor's. I just finished it up and have a Bachelor's in business with two areas of study underneath it and on top of that I have a concurrent BA in Spanish. Adding a BS in IT might be overkill.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would recommend one of their Master of Science degrees. With enough time to dedicate to it, you could get most, if not all, of it done in 6 months. At the least, while enrolled, you can put it on your resume. This will let employers know that you are working on a related subject.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Exactly. A Masters would hold a lot more weight than an additional Bachelors.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    tmurphy3100tmurphy3100 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi guys, I read the requirements for the MS in Info Assurance and Security and wanted to see your insight on if my soon to be BS degree will be enough to pass the requirements. In December I should be receiving a B.S. Information Systems: Cyber Security Management degree from Strayer University. My one class was all about the SSCP and I took/will be taking classes on disaster recovery, auditing, legal issues, cyber security, and polices.

If not, should I be focusing on getting a CCNA as soon as possible?(taking my Security+ tomorrow!), or can I just continue working on my MCSA as planned.

Thanks all.
    2020 Goals: CCNA R&S, Cysa+, AZ103, Linux+, Pentest+
  • Options
    roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    New Question: Has anyone been in the WGU MSISA program and studied for CISSP in parallel? I'm all set to get in to WGU and they keep calling me to finalize everything and submit payment to get going by Oct 1. But another goal of mine is CISSP and ideally before 2016. Is it pretty crazy to think I could begin this coursework and do the required work, while also knocking out studies for CISSP? I dont want to get in over my head. The reason for the push for CISSP is that I think it will have the biggest upward push for my career in Cyber Security and can be achieved faster than the masters. I could put CISSP off and just start WGU as this program follows the CISSP domains, but that pushes CISSP out for 18 months to 2 years. Maybe I should just focus on finishing this year strong with CISSP by new year, then look to start WGU fresh in 2016.

Thoughts or advice for anyone who's been through either program (CISSP / MSISA)? Thanks.
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
    2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP
  • Options
    ImThe0neImThe0ne Member Posts: 143
    dragonsden wrote: »
    New Question: Has anyone been in the WGU MSISA program and studied for CISSP in parallel? I'm all set to get in to WGU and they keep calling me to finalize everything and submit payment to get going by Oct 1. But another goal of mine is CISSP and ideally before 2016. Is it pretty crazy to think I could begin this coursework and do the required work, while also knocking out studies for CISSP? I dont want to get in over my head. The reason for the push for CISSP is that I think it will have the biggest upward push for my career in Cyber Security and can be achieved faster than the masters. I could put CISSP off and just start WGU as this program follows the CISSP domains, but that pushes CISSP out for 18 months to 2 years. Maybe I should just focus on finishing this year strong with CISSP by new year, then look to start WGU fresh in 2016.

Thoughts or advice for anyone who's been through either program (CISSP / MSISA)? Thanks.

This would really all depend on you, if you are wanting to complete the MSISA as quickly as possible then I think tying yourself to studying for the CISSP and the MSISA would put a burden on you. Unless you have gobs of time to dedicate to both, that is.

IMO, I would go with whatever you feel like will advance your career more first or if they are planning on updating the CISSP in the near future and you are hoping to complete it before they update it.
  • Options
    FlyOnTheWallFlyOnTheWall Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey all, on the WGU site they do not list the A+ 801 & 802 as transferable IT certifications. Only 601 & 701 stuff. Is this just not updated or is this A+ I'll be taking soon really going to be useless to them? Here is what they list:

b11d05854810edd20af174cddb1c52bd.png
  • Options
    mamoreno89mamoreno89 Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey all, on the WGU site they do not list the A+ 801 & 802 as transferable IT certifications. Only 601 & 701 stuff. Is this just not updated or is this A+ I'll be taking soon really going to be useless to them? Here is what they list:

b11d05854810edd20af174cddb1c52bd.png

Don't worry, it seems outdated information. The 220-801 and 220-802 exams transferred when I submitted my documents a few weeks ago; you should be good.
  • Options
    fjhesqfjhesq Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Anyone study the quizlets for a WGU assessment and pass? Just trying to see what the hype is about people pointing you to the quizlets. Are they actual course study guides or what? I've been referred to quizlets more than once from people attending WGU. Also, how different are the actual assessments compared to the pre-assessments? (Same questions/Same material/etc....) I haven't taken a WGU assessment yet but have taken a few pre-assessments.
  • Options
    Quizlets helped me quite a bit.
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Im wondering how long it took for everyones capstones to get graded.
    Mines been submitted for awhile now with no updates...
  • Options
    ojenksdevojenksdev Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey everyone,

I've been watching this thread for a couple days now, and decided to make an account so I can contribute (eventually). I'll be starting WGU Nov 1st for my bachelor's. I had 60 CU's transfer over from my AAIT degree so I don't have to deal with any GE courses, just IT stuff. Can anyone tell me what the big difference is between the BS for Software Development and the BSIT - Software Emphasis outside of the BSIT having the CIW JavaScript and Database certs?
  • Options
    NicWhiteNicWhite Member Posts: 134
    Hello everyone,

How long did it take for you to get the results from your transcript review, from the time WGU received them?
    WGU - BS Software Development
    Start Date: 2/1/2016
    Transferred 40 / Complete 23 / Remaining 60
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    NicWhite wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

How long did it take for you to get the results from your transcript review, from the time WGU received them?

It was a whole week for me.
  • Options
    NicWhiteNicWhite Member Posts: 134
    It was a whole week for me.

Thanks. I have been waiting a month and have not heard anything. Will send them an email to follow-up.
    WGU - BS Software Development
    Start Date: 2/1/2016
    Transferred 40 / Complete 23 / Remaining 60
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    olaHalo wrote: »
    Im wondering how long it took for everyones capstones to get graded.
    Mines been submitted for awhile now with no updates...

In case anyone wondered...
    It took them about 6 days to evaluate my capstone
  • Options
    oakaoaka Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Received my transfer evaluation back today and have my official start date of 11/1! My current CISSP and CCNA provided me with 23 cu's, 101 to go! Looking over the IT courses I am very optimistic I will grind through them and hopefully my 25+ years of IT experience will help.

As an IT Director and previous IT consulting business owner I can tell you that I wouldn't hesitate one second hiring someone with a degree from WGU. I have found that there is much more to finding exceptional talent then a piece of paper. I do find it a bit humorous that even though I earned several certs e.g., Novell, Microsoft, Unix, ISO they were not transferrable since they were obtained more than 5 years ago but hey I am 49 and pursuing this degree for personal reasons so it is what it is.

For those who posted questions about the security degree over the general IT degree I would say that IT security is a very exciting field, it is still relatively under crowded and most businesses are starting to recognize the critical role security plays within their business model. This is opening up big opportunities.

Anyways, good luck to all in your pursuits and careers!!
  • Options
    Ajay_patil22Ajay_patil22 Member Posts: 18 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome OAKA and Good luck with your journey at WGU. I am in the same boat as you. My 20 year old bachelors in Computer Science got turned down because it was older then 5 years. icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    auxiliarypriestauxiliarypriest Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I started the MSISA in September. When I spoke to my mentor, she mentioned that the program is going to be changed early next year and I am really curious what they are planning to do. I've also heard they maybe re-branding the degree to Cybersecurity. Does anyone have any insight on this?
    2020 Goals: [x ] C|HFI [x] CySA+ [x ] MSCSIA
    Connect with me on Linkedin, just say you're from TechExams
  • Options
    Interesting AP... my enrollment counselor never mentioned it. I have a call with her on Mon and will be sure to bring it up. I wouldn't be opposed to the emphasis changing to cybersecurity.
  • Options
    Thanks Ajay! You too!!