Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    castagnolaccastagnolac Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm on track to enter WGU for their BSIT - SEC November 1. I already have a Bachelors in Political Science and an MBA. After a a good 18 years in Telecom I have been having no luck at all scoring a job (other than the guys that want me selling financial products door to door). This leaves me with 68 remaining credits (2 years - ooof).

I feel like my resume is currently being overlooked as 'tech-light' so I think an IT degree is the right way to go. Part of me however is thinking - why not the MS? I think I'd be accepted based on my MBA, and in 2 years or less I'd have a Master's.

The Quandary : Should I go the BS IT route and get all the lower level (but important) classes I've never had out of the way such as Web programming, Scripting, and in particular databases (no experience in SQL,XML,etc) or am I wasting time with another BS?

Thanks all!
    C
  • Options
    CyberJosh95CyberJosh95 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    With the BS IT Sec you'll earn certifications which you wont earn with the masters degree. I think you should get another BS. I will be starting Nov 1 as well.
  • Options
    ksijurksijur Member Posts: 89 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Similar has been discussed all over this forum... General consensus seems to be don't waste time with another BS. go to cybrary, udemy, etc. and fill in those gaps on the tech you feel like you don't know and get yourself MS. just my opinion.
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree. If you can get a copy of the transcript of requirements for the degree, most of the classes map to a certification. I would recommend going for the MS and if you're really interested in some of the BSIT stuff, then go for the certifications. The reason it is so great is because of someone who doesn't have a Bachelors can get degree and the certs. You already have the first half.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    icon_study.gif
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's not bad to get a second Bachelors. Just my recommendation would be to go to the MS. You can explain to employers (read:whoever), about your certifications and they would be fine with a non technical Bachelors. Similar to people who do the MBA with an already established tech background. You want to know the business side of the world.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    castagnolaccastagnolac Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the input all - I'm going for the BS IT SEC. I feel like it will give me a lot more confidence in interviews and exposure to more technologies and therefore opportunities in the short term. Who knows maybe I'll love SQL and decide to be a DBA? Anyone think it's realistic to knock out 68 credits in 1 year rather than 2?
  • Options
    @TacoRocket: Yea, for sure man! I think normally it would be wise to just go for a MS/MBA/MA after a non-technical bachelors - I originally was in the process of applying for the MS Human Factors and Ergonomics program from the school of Industrial Engineering at SJSU before I had a change of heart. For me, I loved school then I didn't really go to school much for 10+ years and then - BAM - I rediscovered my love of education and especially Cyber Security which was a passion of mine in high school. I wanted to prove it to myself that I could get a technical degree as well.

@castagnolac: It can't hurt knowing SQL - that's for sure. Realistically, you would need to really dedicate yourself to the task at hand but you could pump out 68 credits in a year at WGU (especially with competence-based testing). I've actually finished 24 units in one semester (15 units at one college and 9 units of all online classes at another). Anything can be done if you put your mind to it.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of whether WGU would accept someone into the MS ISA program if they have a BS in a non-technical field? For me, it's a BS in Law. Not even close to relating to IT, but I don't want to spend the time and money getting a second BS if I can jump straight to the MS. I also have no interest in things like web design or programming, I want to do cyber security, so the MS ISA is perfect for gaining the knowledge I need to pursue my career goals. Has anyone used a non-IT BS to skip straight to the MS?
  • Options
    NicWhiteNicWhite Member Posts: 134
    Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of whether WGU would accept someone into the MS ISA program if they have a BS in a non-technical field? For me, it's a BS in Law. Not even close to relating to IT, but I don't want to spend the time and money getting a second BS if I can jump straight to the MS. I also have no interest in things like web design or programming, I want to do cyber security, so the MS ISA is perfect for gaining the knowledge I need to pursue my career goals. Has anyone used a non-IT BS to skip straight to the MS?

You will have to fulfill the requirements listed below:

Online Admissions | College of Information Technology | Western Governors University Online
    [h=3]Special Requirements for WGU’s IT Master’s Degree Programs[/h] [h=3]To Qualify for the M.S. Information Security and Assurance Program, Applicants Must:[/h]
    • Apply for admission.
    • Possess a bachelor’s degree from a regionally or nationally accredited institution.
    • Demonstrate IT security experience through at least one of the following three methods:
      • Have earned a bachelor’s degree in IT security or IT networking that covers at least two CISSP CBK domains. (You can find the domains listed here.)
      • Hold a CISSP, CCIE, CCNP, CCNA, or GCWN certification that was earned within the last five years.
      • Submit a resume for review showing recent significant IT security experience, of at least three years, which demonstrates at least two CISSP CBK domains.
    WGU - BS Software Development
    Start Date: 2/1/2016
    Transferred 40 / Complete 23 / Remaining 60
  • Options
    EnderWigginEnderWiggin Member Posts: 551 ■■■■□□□□□□
    NicWhite wrote: »
    You will have to fulfill the requirements listed below:

Online Admissions | College of Information Technology | Western Governors University Online
    Special Requirements for WGU’s IT Master’s Degree Programs

To Qualify for the M.S. Information Security and Assurance Program, Applicants Must:

• Apply for admission.
    • Possess a bachelor’s degree from a regionally or nationally accredited institution.
    • Demonstrate IT security experience through at least one of the following three methods:
      • Have earned a bachelor’s degree in IT security or IT networking that covers at least two CISSP CBK domains. (You can find the domains listed here.)
      • Hold a CISSP, CCIE, CCNP, CCNA, or GCWN certification that was earned within the last five years.
      • Submit a resume for review showing recent significant IT security experience, of at least three years, which demonstrates at least two CISSP CBK domains.
    Hmmm. My BS in Law touched on some of the CISSP domains, in the way of physical security and legal. I also have a recent Security+, as well as a little over a year of cyber security work that touches on a couple domains. Do you think they would do partial credit for each of those three, and accept me into the program? I suppose I could just buckle down and get a CCNA.... That cert seems very out of place with the others that are listed
  • Options
    roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would very much welcome the re-brand of the MS:ISA degree name from Information Security & Assurance to MS:Cyber Security.
    Not only does it sound much more intriguing, but the DoD, to whom would be a common potential employer of MS WGU students, has dropped the "Information Assurance" terminology in place of "Cyber Security". The DoD RMF (Risk Management Framework) spells this out, with a solid definition of cyber security based on the NIST adoption.

I also think the words "Cyber Security" on your resume will grab a lot more phone calls than Information Assurance. It's the word used all over the news, and people on the streets are now aware of the term, at least loosely.

So changing the degree name has my vote. Where do we vote and get this done?
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
    2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP
  • Options
    icon_study.gif
  • Options
    Hmmm. My BS in Law touched on some of the CISSP domains, in the way of physical security and legal. I also have a recent Security+, as well as a little over a year of cyber security work that touches on a couple domains. Do you think they would do partial credit for each of those three, and accept me into the program? I suppose I could just buckle down and get a CCNA.... That cert seems very out of place with the others that are listed

You can contact:

Beth Case
    Enrollment Counselor - for the IT program

Western Governors University
    Main: 866-225-5948 Ext. 5807

She has been very helpful to me and she said that I could share her contact information.
  • Options
    wgnstudentwgnstudent Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm planning to enroll in the Bachelors in Health Informatics program at WGU. I already have a bachelors in science degree under my belt and I'm currently working in the healthcare field. I looked at the program overview and noticed that I have taken some classes that are listed (Anatomy, English 101,102, Medical terminology and all), however I took these classes back in 2009 or 2010.. are they going to waive it? or do they ask me to repeat these courses again? which I honestly don't want to. I would greatly appreciate if somebody could answer.
  • Options
    wgnstudent wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new to this forum. I'm planning to enroll in the Bachelors in Health Informatics program at WGU. I already have a bachelors in science degree under my belt and I'm currently working in the healthcare field. I looked at the program overview and noticed that I have taken some classes that are listed (Anatomy, English 101,102, Medical terminology and all), however I took these classes back in 2009 or 2010.. are they going to waive it? or do they ask me to repeat these courses again? which I honestly don't want to. I would greatly appreciate if somebody could answer.

You will have to go through the transcript review process but I graduated from college in 1996 with an AS in nursing and they waived all my generals. BTW, you will have to do clinical hours. So just be aware of that, if you are a full-time worker.
  • Options
    wgnstudentwgnstudent Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    NicWhite wrote: »
    You will have to go through the transcript review process but I graduated from college in 1996 with an AS in nursing and they waived all my generals. BTW, you will have to do clinical hours. So just be aware of that, if you are a full-time worker.

Clinical hours? how does that work? Could you give me a brief overview?

I'm not a computer genius, but I recently enrolled in a 3 month quality assurance tester course so I will be okay with the terminologies and understanding at some parts.

Yes, I'm a full time worker, but I live with my parents so I have no other responsibilities.
  • Options
    wgnstudent wrote: »
    Clinical hours? how does that work? Could you give me a brief overview?

I'm not a computer genius, but I recently enrolled in a 3 month quality assurance tester course so I will be okay with the terminologies and understanding at some parts.

Yes, I'm a full time worker, but I live with my parents so I have no other responsibilities.

You have to do a 160 hour unpaid internship. I am not sure how they set it up or what the particulars are. If you call the school, an enrollment counselor will gladly explain that requirement. i wanted to sign up until they told me about the internship. I can't afford to use up my vacation and sick days for that because I have children.
  • Options
    josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    So yesterday I made a post regarding some of the companion documents that Keith Barker recommends to download during his CCNA Security cbt nugget videos that are a part of the CCNA Security course for WGU.

Some of the demonstrations he does during the video series are a bit hard to follow since he's talking while doing them as well as entering in comments in rapid fire, so he acknowledges this and suggests to download the files from the CBT nuggets site. Obviously we only have access to the videos and not a CBT acct through WGU so that's a relative dead end, so I went hunting for them on my own and didn't have much luck, and then came here to ask if anyone had them since I imagine it's been discussed before.

Anyway I got some useless advice, and then flagged for a crass response (my apologies) so I next went to the course mentor. He's got a share drive that he sent me a link to that contained the commands and instructions, the "Parka Principle" pdf, and a bunch of other helpful things. So it's available, but you have to ask. He said that he sends out an informational email containing the link and such for each new student, but only every couple months (huh?) so if you take the course and never get an email from the mentor, just reach out and he'll send it. Or if anyone needs any of the docs, shoot me a pm and I'll send you what I can.
  • Options
    josephandrejosephandre Member Posts: 315 ■■■■□□□□□□
    *sigh*

disregard, I'm a moron. Somehow, I completely overlooked the "download nuggetlab files" at the bottom of the main screen of the videos in WGU.

I swear I checked and double checked (and then the mentor seemed to react as though I was correct in the files not being provided) but sure enough logged in today and saw them available clear as day.

tldr the WGU course contains all the associated companion files referenced in the videos.
  • Options
    usman4673usman4673 Member Posts: 115
    Has anyone taken C169: Scripting & Programming:Applications yet?

Whats the work load? Number of tasks and their percentage distribution towards 100%? I have heard, there is a project (application development) and assessment in it. Can anyone PM me the tasks and their rubrics so I can start working ASAP?

Anyone currently taken or has recently passed the course? I would like to get in touch to learn the tricks of the trade.
  • Options
    BurnsieBurnsie Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A question pertaining to the MS IA that WGU offers: If you already have CEH and CHFI, are you able to get credit for those classes in the program? Or do they still make you take the classes?

Thanks,

B
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Burnsie wrote: »
    A question pertaining to the MS IA that WGU offers: If you already have CEH and CHFI, are you able to get credit for those classes in the program? Or do they still make you take the classes?

Thanks,

B

If it was earned in the last 5 years then it will count as credit and waive the class.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    BurnsieBurnsie Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Great! Thanks!

B
  • Options
    JovanismamaJovanismama Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My name is Brooke Martinez and I am looking for a current student or alumnus to refer me so that I can get my application fee waived. I think you get some type of perk as well
  • Options
    jak096jak096 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Jovanismama: I sent you a PM. You should remove your personal information. Also, the thread for WGU referrals is http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/55634-wgu-refer-friend-thread-those-seeking-referral.html Please check your PMs.
  • Options
    bender_fender100bender_fender100 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Edit:

I talked to a WGU representative who answered a lot of my questions. I was looking into their Masters or bachelors in network administration.

I am still curious to how a CCNA would fulfill some of their course requirements if I were to have one at the time of applying. I have nearly all of my gen eds done because I'm nearly done with my current BBA.
    Working on CCENT and nearly almost there. Retake in December and pass, then after that, study for ICND2 and work on CCNA Security and look into Microsoft certifications. No previous IT certs.

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill
  • Options
    JamesKurtovichJamesKurtovich Member Posts: 195
    Edit:

I talked to a WGU representative who answered a lot of my questions. I was looking into their Masters or bachelors in network administration.

I am still curious to how a CCNA would fulfill some of their course requirements if I were to have one at the time of applying. I have nearly all of my gen eds done because I'm nearly done with my current BBA.

Looks like CCNA alone can get you up to 19 CUs if you go into the Security program.
  • Options
    bender_fender100bender_fender100 Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Looks like CCNA alone can get you up to 19 CUs if you go into the Security program.
    Interesting. I did not know that. I had wanted to get a CCNA Security certification anyway, so that might be a better option than I thought. With all the gen eds, the CCNA credit if that happens by early next year for me, and some business technology classes I've taken, I'm gonna assume that I can get up to 60 CUs at least from all of that. I'll look into it more as I get these certifications as an option, though I think for now, I'm leaning towards finishing up my current degree and looking into WGU after graduation.
    Working on CCENT and nearly almost there. Retake in December and pass, then after that, study for ICND2 and work on CCNA Security and look into Microsoft certifications. No previous IT certs.

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So do they actually give you the voucher for the CHFI and CEH in the MS IT Security degree? It's just like the BS program, right?