Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The tech credits won't transfer if they are over 5 years old, but gen ed should.
  • EmphasisxEmphasisx Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For the Masters program, can I complete my selected courses in any order? I have 3 courses, an essay and 2 exams. I want to take the exams first. I asked my student mentor and she said I have to do them in order. Any one have any experience with this? If it's the policy I'll deal with it, if not I'll find a mentor who will allow me to do it.
  • EvoluvinEvoluvin Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Evoluvin wrote: »
    Hello -

I'm looking for some insight on WGU.

I've been in IT for about 5 years now, 3 of those years in a Remote Support type role. The other 2 years I have been in an IT Technical Management role.

I'm currently tossed with which degree program to pursue. As I have an interest in BS: IT - Security (As it offers more Certifications) and BS: Business IT Management (As this is what my current positions entails).

After I receive my BS, I was wanting to go down the MBA route. Would anyone happen to know if I were to go down the BS: IT-Security route, if I would have to obtain more credits to go the MBA route after the BS:IT-Security is completed??

Also, I currently do not have any college experience and the only Cert i have is ITIL Foundations. I have obtained a lot of on the job experience. Does anyone recommend me getting any GEN-ED courses completed first, and then applying?

I briefly spoke with an Enrollment Counselor whom advised that with my years of experience, that I would have a good chance of getting accepted.

Any and all help is appreciated.

- Anthony

Does anyone have any recommendations for me? I'm looking for some help and experiences from other WGU students that went in with no previous college experience. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks
  • RepliconReplicon Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can international students attend WGU? And if so would they need IETLS like regular uni asks for?
    Will the price be the same?
    Sorry, maybe this was already answered but dont feel like going through 190 pages of posts:)
  • Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    EJMADELINE wrote: »
    Is anyone involved with the Masters program at WGU? I'm now a "senior" at AMU and I'm starting to explore Masters programs. Do they proctor exams? If so, is it hard to get someone to proctor the exam? I really like AMU, but I'll only have 14 months of the GI bill left when I'm ready to start my Masters. I figure with WGU I can finish within that time frame or at least not go broke paying for the rest.

Hi there,

I'm in the MBA:ITM degree at the moment. The exams are proctored and you have the choice of taking the exam in your home or at an approved testing center. WGU will send a webcam in your welcome package (cheap---horrible---buy your own ) and they have a company monitor you as you take the exam at home. Some people have completed their masters in 6 months or less, others (myself) take 18-24 months to knock it out. The GI Bill should carry you through. If you start a term/semester just prior to your GI Bill running out, the Gov will pay you through the term. This happened to me, I was able to start another term just before mine ran out and everything was covered. It was sort of like having a bonus 5 months of benefits. You'll receive $800 a month being this is an online program and you will need to be enrolled in three courses to meet the "full time" requirements.

Hope this helps and if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Hatch
  • Hatch1921Hatch1921 Member Posts: 257 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Emphasisx wrote: »
    For the Masters program, can I complete my selected courses in any order? I have 3 courses, an essay and 2 exams. I want to take the exams first. I asked my student mentor and she said I have to do them in order. Any one have any experience with this? If it's the policy I'll deal with it, if not I'll find a mentor who will allow me to do it.

My mentor has me taking the courses in order. A buddy of mine is taking them in the order he setup with his mentor. So... maybe ask for another mentor and explain to him/her what you would like to do with your course work?

Hatch
  • gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Replicon wrote: »
    Can international students attend WGU? And if so would they need IETLS like regular uni asks for?
    Will the price be the same?
    Sorry, maybe this was already answered but dont feel like going through 190 pages of posts:)
    They accept Canadians, but you would need to confirm with the Enrollment Counselor.
    If English is not your first language, you'd need to take the TOEFL with at least 80 points score. That is easy. They don't accept IELTS though.
    The price is the same, but you will not be eligible for any financial aid.
    If your previous degree/diploma/coursework is from overseas then it will need to be evaluated by NACES accredited credentials evaluation agency for credit transfer, that might take some time.
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • cvuong1984cvuong1984 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    kvlt wrote: »
    I have a couple of questions regarding transfer credits that I'm hoping someone an answer for me...I have already applied and expect to be accepted due to having a CCNA and several years of IT experience, but I'm concerned about my transfer credits.

1.) When I was young and dumb, I made the terrible mistake of going to ITT Tech and got an Associate's degree that I don't even put on my resume anymore because I'm ashamed of it...can anyone tell me if I can expect any of my credits to transfer to WGU? I was hoping I would at least be somewhere close to halfway through the bachelor's program at WGU.

2.) I also want to transfer some general education credits from a community college I attended for nursing...but a lot of my courses, I didn't do so great in because I was lazy. If I send them a transcript from this community college, could they deny me due to my terrible grades? Am I better off not sending them this transcript and just re-taking the few classes I would get transferred from here?

1) I went to ITT Tech, didnt even get a degree like you from them... I was able to transfer a good amount of credits into WGU, (This was in 2011)
    2) I also had a few gen ed courses from a community college, which I was able to transfer in as well, but some were doubled up because I took math classes at ITT Tech as well.

I transferred in with 70 Credits. I also had a few certs as well, M$, Security+
    X
  • joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    I'm taking a month break so I can concentrate on some work stuff but I was originally going to take a two month break instead. When I spoke to the term break counselor, she told me that my grace period for my loans would reduce to 4 months, so I last min changed it to 1 month break... Has anyone taken a term break before? If so, does that really cut into the 6 month loan grace period?
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
  • jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    whats the typical turnaround time to have transcripts evaluated and credits granted once you have submitted everything?
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I failed my pre-assessment for Finite Math/C277 for the third time now. 49-59-52%. Really disappointed since I felt pretty confident about most of my answers. Term ends in just over a week.

Not sure what they'll have me do now.

I really......hate math.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    SteveLord wrote: »
    I failed my pre-assessment for Finite Math/C277 for the third time now. 49-59-52%. Really disappointed since I felt pretty confident about most of my answers. Term ends in just over a week.

Not sure what they'll have me do now.

I really......hate math.

I hear you, math sucks. I failed my objective assessment for Java twice and finally passed the third time. One of the most stressful classes I have ever had.

Good luck with the math, just be glad you havent failed your real assessment 3 times!
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
    Course mentor is giving me a shot at the final next week, given the average of my 3 takes. Also laid out a strategy for me to follow. Very glad is he sticking up for me and helping me out here at the last minute.

Hopefully......I do better and put this behind me.
  • NicWhiteNicWhite Member Posts: 134
    Course mentor is giving me a shot at the final next week, given the average of my 3 takes. Also laid out a strategy for me to follow. Very glad is he sticking up for me and helping me out here at the last minute.

Hopefully......I do better and put this behind me.

Praying that you get your pass.
    WGU - BS Software Development
    Start Date: 2/1/2016
    Transferred 40 / Complete 23 / Remaining 60
  • kcaliva01kcaliva01 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've started the application and enrolment process for WGU. The enrollment counselor emailed me with info on how to verify my CCNA. If I'm not mistaken they are asking for my login and password in addition to my individual Cisco ID. Did anyone feel uneasy giving out a password through email?
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    What? That makes zero sense. Are you sure you understood correctly?
  • TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kcaliva01 wrote: »
    I've started the application and enrolment process for WGU. The enrollment counselor emailed me with info on how to verify my CCNA. If I'm not mistaken they are asking for my login and password in addition to my individual Cisco ID. Did anyone feel uneasy giving out a password through email?

I hope you didn't provide the password information. What they meant was that you need to provide them with evidence that you have a CCNA,(certifications paper copy, print out etc) not that you have to give them your account info.
  • kcaliva01kcaliva01 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Here is the text pasted from the email:

Thank you for your interest in WGU's information technology programs. Please review the following about submitting your IT industry certifications for verification.
    In order for WGU to award academic credit for an industry certification, a certification verification link must be submitted via email to certificateinfo@wgu.edu. Please provide information to verify certification (such as number, ID, password, name, etc.).

Note: The date of the certification must be within the last 5 years to receive transfer credit.
    Here is a list of the vendor websites for verification of certifications:
    Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have questions or concerns about the information provided here. I look forward to serving you.

A

Am I missing something here? The Cisco link dead ends at a 404 error. So I just used the instructions I found here on TE and published my credentials through my profile page at cisco.com
    I just sent them a copy of my CCNA and they accepted it. Nothing else to it.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    When they say password they mean the one that the certification provider may allow you to put on the transcript.

Example from Microsoft: "MCPs can elect to share their certification information by providing you with their Transcript ID and their Access Code. Please enter these two fields below to access a MCP Transcript."
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    They don't need your password to verify it. They can just check with your candidate ID for your cert.
  • rj1790rj1790 Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does WGU take monthly payments?
    WGU: Network Operations and Security - COMPLETED
    Current Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA R+S, and CCNA Security, CCDA
  • vaneetsvaneets Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

I'm currently enrolled into the cybersecurity and Information Assurance program and starting it on March 1st. I'm a little nervous but looking forward towards starting it.
  • tmurphy3100tmurphy3100 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welcome! I am also starting my program on March 1st, but I opt'ed to stay with the Information Security and Assurance program instead. Goodluck!
    2020 Goals: CCNA R&S, Cysa+, AZ103, Linux+, Pentest+
  • vaneetsvaneets Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks tmurphy3100!

Any reason why you choose one over the other?

Vaneet
    Passed my C277 Finite Math with a 69%. Only 2 weeks worth of studying. Probably shouldn't slack off like that anymore!
    Passed my C277 Finite Math with a 69%. Only 2 weeks worth of studying. Probably shouldn't slack off like that anymore!

You passed the objective assessment? If so, thats awesome!
    Yup. First term done.
  • TriforceTriforce Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm enrolled in WGU for a BS in IT with a focus in Network, which has various certifications and classes, with the main specifics being the MCSA for Windows Server 2012 and Windows 7 (currently.)

For anyone who is going for the same degree but with a focus in Security, could you advise what your programs classes are? I'm assuming the only differences are instead of the MCSA, it is a CCNA and a CCNA Security Cert.

I'm considering eventually changing my focus, if it's possible, just wondering the differences. Thanks.