Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    So with the webcam are they allowing you to take the prometric test online via the wgu webcam?
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Jack2 wrote: »
    So with the webcam are they allowing you to take the prometric test online via the wgu webcam?
    You still have to go to the Prometric or Vue center for the certifications (Microsoft, Comptia, CIW, Cisco). All of your general classes can be done via webcam at home.

Mad, I did not write an abstract for my research paper for LAT1. If worse comes to worse you can submit it and if they require it you can resubmit it.
    WGU grad
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    madmanmuro wrote: »
    So i'm currently doing LET1 its my first class with WGU. First task is to write a paper, so I'm getting started on that and trying to learn APA style at the same time. I'm following along the Purdue Online guide and it says to write an abstract page, is that required for every paper or can I just begin writing the body of my paper?

No abstract is necessary, per the rubric. When in doubt, check the rubric, as it will tell you specifically what is required.
  • madmanmuromadmanmuro Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So how long does it generally take for something to be graded in Taskstream? I submitted a paper about 2 days ago I was hoping to get some feedback on my first assignment before I continue on to the next ones. I assume each task is graded individually when submitted and I dont have to complete all the tasks for them to be graded. Have I assumed correctly?
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    So how long does it generally take for something to be graded in Taskstream? I submitted a paper about 2 days ago I was hoping to get some feedback on my first assignment before I continue on to the next ones. I assume each task is graded individually when submitted and I dont have to complete all the tasks for them to be graded. Have I assumed correctly?

Wow 2 days!? There have been times I sent stuff to TaskStream at 11PM (eastern) and would get the response back at 6am-9am the next morning. The last two tasks....they were pretty much 24 hours for the most part (I guess because of the reading and comparing crap to the rubric). I've also worked on each task sequentially...I didn't want to risk revisions if I didn't do the next task right......with LAT1, for example, all I had to do was wait for Task 4 to be completed, did a couple of minor revisions on that draft, removed the bubbles, and then sent it as a final paper. Then BAM!, LAT1 completed. My mentor did advise me that the graders are probably busy as we're nearing the end of term for alot of students.

My advice? Create a WGU email filter to have the taskstream notification emails go to your cell phone (even non-smartphones like mine can receive email (ex. verizon is XXXXXXXXXX(at)vtext.com). Then while you wait, work on something else.
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□

I am seeing your question in two different ways: 1.) Do I have to complete all subtasks within a task to receive a grade. The answer to that one is yes, as the task is graded as a whole, with the rubric being split between the various aspects of that task. 2.)Do you have to complete all the tasks within a course prior to receiving feedback? The answer is no. If a course has 3 tasks, you can and will receive feedback on each task sequentially as you complete it.

As an example, on Task 2 of LAT1, you had to submit a synthesis, a close paraphrase, a highlighted article, and a reference page. While Taskstream would allow you to submit only 1 or 2 of those items at a time, you won't receive a grade on them until you submit the requirement for the entire task, from my understanding.

Anyway, hope that helps. Hopefully I didn't confuse you further. And as for Taskstream, it can be up to 5 days, although it's usually much sooner.
    Excellent1 wrote: »
    As an example, on Task 2 of LAT1, you had to submit a synthesis, a close paraphrase, a highlighted article, and a reference page. While Taskstream would allow you to submit only 1 or 2 of those items at a time, you won't receive a grade on them until you submit the requirement for the entire task, from my understanding.

I would not bother with Taskstream until I had all of the stuff the task is asking me for. I believe you can upload your stuff without submitting it, but that just seems like a waste of time, personally. I would just upload everything at once and then submit.

Thankfully, I am a bit paranoid. For that particular task, I had forgotten to upload a highlighted article. Thankfully I caught that. I cancelled my submission, found a "free" PDF editor, highlighted my article and then resubmitted....thankfully, all was well.
  • ThxlbxThxlbx Member Posts: 105
    Hello again!

Have not been on here for a few months, life has thrown some heavy curveballs at me this summer, not limited to dealing with the IRS to get my taxes filed properly so I could qualify for financial aid for WGU. Finally have everything in and my intake interview is done and I am set to start Nov 1! Just waiting for the financial aid department to finish "verification", where they verify your FAFSA stuff. Has anyone else been through that? How long did it take? They keep saying it should be done anytime now, but I am getting nervous the closer we get to Nov 1.
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    EWB2, TEV1, TTV1, CLC1, TSV1,WFV1,ORC1
    Courses Transferred:
    BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LVT1, QLC1, SSC1, SST1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses needed:

BGV1, AKV1, GTT1, MGC1, WDV1, TPV1, GUT1, ABV1, TWA1, CPW4, BLV1
    Thxlbx wrote: »
    Hello again!

Have not been on here for a few months, life has thrown some heavy curveballs at me this summer, not limited to dealing with the IRS to get my taxes filed properly so I could qualify for financial aid for WGU. Finally have everything in and my intake interview is done and I am set to start Nov 1! Just waiting for the financial aid department to finish "verification", where they verify your FAFSA stuff. Has anyone else been through that? How long did it take? They keep saying it should be done anytime now, but I am getting nervous the closer we get to Nov 1.

I wouldn't worry about it; I had similar concerns. Even if your FA is cleared, funds don't get disbursed until WEEKS later. The bursar and financial aid office is more than aware of this. As long as you are labeled a financial aid student, you will be good to go. You can contact the financial aid office to be sure of that. But you will be cleared to do EWB.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it; I had similar concerns. Even if your FA is cleared, funds don't get disbursed until WEEKS later. The bursar and financial aid office is more than aware of this. As long as you are labeled a financial aid student, you will be good to go. You can contact the financial aid office to be sure of that. But you will be cleared to do EWB.

Cool. Thanks for the reassurance. I am stoked to get started, plus they just sent me my transcript evaluation, and it looks like 26 units transferred in! It is all in general ed stuff, but it means I can get going on IT cert classes that much quicker!
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    Courses Transferred:
    Courses needed:

• mmurillo64mmurillo64 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello mjsteinhilber;

I am currently looking into the same program Masters in Information Security and Assurance. What can you tell me about your experience thus far? Any information that you could provide either prositive or negative will be appreciated.

MM
  • TheQGuruTheQGuru Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently in the program and very happy so far.

I've only been working on Perfomance Assestment based classes right now and really like how they have the classes laid out and writing assignments. I've never been a writer but they somewhat make it easy if you put the time in. When I first started thinking about WGU, I did not think there would be as many writing assignments as there is.

I only work on classwork about 10 hours a week, they recommend 20, but since I started in August I've completed 9 credits, and wrapping up 3 more by the end of the week. I think I will be able to get through 18-26 credits this semester.

I would do it over again if I knew everything I knew now.
    TheQGuru

Certifications: CISSP, CISA, CISM, GSEC, Security+, MCSA
  • ArystaArysta Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone ever gotten a Comptia voucher through WGU for a class that wasn't a part of their major? I think someone once mentioned in this thread that they got a discounted educational voucher through their mentor. I asked my mentor and he tried to ask around, but came up empty... he wants to get it for me if he can but isn't quite sure how. I'm interested in taking the Network+ exam, but it's not included in the security emphasis major... If anyone's mentor got them one, what was the process?
    Arysta wrote: »
    Has anyone ever gotten a Comptia voucher through WGU for a class that wasn't a part of their major? I think someone once mentioned in this thread that they got a discounted educational voucher through their mentor. I asked my mentor and he tried to ask around, but came up empty... he wants to get it for me if he can but isn't quite sure how. I'm interested in taking the Network+ exam, but it's not included in the security emphasis major... If anyone's mentor got them one, what was the process?

I asked my mentor the same thing, but for 70-646 (that's part of the Network Administration track). I told him I did not want to be difficult and switch emphasis just to take that class and then switch back...lol. I just want to pay the discounted rate. He said he'd get back to me. I'll talk to him during my normal time on Friday, if anything and find out. :)
    I asked my mentor the same thing, but for 70-646 (that's part of the Network Administration track). I told him I did not want to be difficult and switch emphasis just to take that class and then switch back...lol. I just want to pay the discounted rate. He said he'd get back to me. I'll talk to him during my normal time on Friday, if anything and find out. :)

Please do! I am starting on the Security track in November, and am planning on taking Net+ on my own as well, so it would be cool if a voucher discount could obtained through WGU. Thanks in advance!
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    Courses Transferred:
    Courses needed:

• chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Anyone use windows 7 with online proctoring? It does not seem to fully recognise the webcam they send, and they do not provide drivers. I have a test tomorrow, will it work? Should I call the testing support?
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    chmorin wrote: »
    Anyone use windows 7 with online proctoring? It does not seem to fully recognise the webcam they send, and they do not provide drivers. I have a test tomorrow, will it work? Should I call the testing support?

The webcam is a driverless one. In other words, no drivers are needed. You just plug it in, and go to the website/software to do your testing.

Yes, I would call support...ASAP!
    Please do! I am starting on the Security track in November, and am planning on taking Net+ on my own as well, so it would be cool if a voucher discount could obtained through WGU. Thanks in advance!

Thxlbx & Arysta,

I did receive an answer concerning my issue. I don't think this is going to apply to you guys:

For me to take 70-646, I have to switch to Network Administration. JUST for that class. THEN I can switch back to my original Network Design and Management emphasis.

That is seriously a waste of time, personally. The only benefit to doing it that way is it would be covered in tuition. But it seems like a whole merry-go-round of crap.

I really was under the impression that I could just buy the voucher at a discount through them. The only thing I can advise is to contact the Assessment group at WGU that handles the vouchers. I can't believe they wouldn't let you purchase a voucher through them.
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Yes, I would call support...ASAP!

I actually emailed them and the person insisted it will work. My mentor wants me to call support as well, so I guess I will.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
    Thxlbx & Arysta,

I did receive an answer concerning my issue. I don't think this is going to apply to you guys:

For me to take 70-646, I have to switch to Network Administration. JUST for that class. THEN I can switch back to my original Network Design and Management emphasis.

That is seriously a waste of time, personally. The only benefit to doing it that way is it would be covered in tuition. But it seems like a whole merry-go-round of crap.

I really was under the impression that I could just buy the voucher at a discount through them. The only thing I can advise is to contact the Assessment group at WGU that handles the vouchers. I can't believe they wouldn't let you purchase a voucher through them.

Thanks for the info! Sounds like quite a bit of hassle, switching programs and all. I did notice that the Net + is in the Masters program, so I suppose I could just wait and take it then icon_lol.gif...although I will probably just bite the bullet and pay for it out of pocket.
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    Courses Transferred:
    Courses needed:

• qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    chmorin wrote: »

I was using a beta version of windows 7 for my exams and didnt have any problem.
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Thxlbx & Arysta,

That is interesting and they only allow you to change emphasis between semesters. At least that is what I have been told.
    WGU grad
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    . . .

Not directly through WGU, but doesn't M$ have discounted vouchers for college students (especially those in MS academy programs like WGU)?
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    Thanks for the info! Sounds like quite a bit of hassle, switching programs and all. I did notice that the Net + is in the Masters program, so I suppose I could just wait and take it then icon_lol.gif...although I will probably just bite the bullet and pay for it out of pocket.

For the 646, I too may just pay out of pocket...I plan on taking it after the 647 and before the 680. I like the 2 cert deal. :) (No, I don't count MCP, MCTS, or whatever else...lol)
  • ArystaArysta Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thxlbx & Arysta,

I talked to my mentor today and that's exactly what he suggested... and I had the exact same reaction. It really does seem like a waste of time, and I worry (probably irrationally) that it'll mess something up and delay me, BUT I might go ahead and do it anyway to save the $239 the N+ exam costs. I'm not sure why they don't offer the discounted vouchers when clearly they have access to them for those who fail twice and have to take it three times.
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I believe you can get them through WGU if you fail the test twice you pay $60 for a discount voucher.

There is probably a big contract with a lot of lehgalese that goes with WGU getting the discount vouchers. Selling them to students must not be allowed by the contract.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This may not apply to you guys in particular, but this may help someone else in the same situation as I'm in.

When I started out at WGU my MCSA counted as credit for Security+. I talked to my mentor earlier today and he's sending me a form that will allow me to add the Security+ class to my program so I can take it on WGU's dime.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
    Seriously, there are mulitude of places where you can get legitimate vouchers at a discount. Rather than play around with our programs, I'm just gonna bite the bullet and pay. I know I didn't pay full price for A+ and Network+...so I don't expect to do the same for the MS exam(s) I'm shooting for outside of the EA program.

Total Seminars: CompTIA Network+ Exam Voucher

Discount Network + Certification Test Vouchers – GetCertify4Less.com

Yeah it's not exactly half off, but it's not full price either.
    This may not apply to you guys in particular, but this may help someone else in the same situation as I'm in.

When I started out at WGU my MCSA counted as credit for Security+. I talked to my mentor earlier today and he's sending me a form that will allow me to add the Security+ class to my program so I can take it on WGU's dime.

Do you know the name of that form? I can use that for "AJV1". That would be very clutch.
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do you know the name of that form? I can use that for "AJV1". That would be very clutch.

I just checked my email. Looks like it's not a form, but more of an email with verbiage stating that I acknowledge that they're taking the Security+ credit off my transcript and that it's now a required class that I must pass in order to graduate. I'm sending them my electronic signature agreeing to the terms now :D
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • replica21replica21 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm about to finish an associate of applied science - systems administration from my local community college. I'm thinking about continuing on to get a bachelor's from wgu. What program should I be going in? I have no idea what the difference between network design and management, and network administration is. Thanks! :D
  • mbarrambarra Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Get a student ID from WGU the 646 is available in the academic version for $60.00. I have taken a few this way.