Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The only tests which HAVE to be taken at a prometric or VUE are the IT exams. All the others can be taken with the home web monitor. You can also make arrangements to have them taken somewhere else like a library or something. You need to contact your mentor about this issue.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    earweed wrote: »
    The only tests which HAVE to be taken at a prometric or VUE are the IT exams.

It can be very uncomfortable taking the exam at home. If your hands go somewhere they're not supposed to, your exam CAN be shut off, and you'll have to reschedule. That was some of the horror stories I had read about before I had my first OLP experience. Sitting in the same position for over an hour is not fun and then acting like a blackjack dealer after the end of your deal....lol. Not cute. Look forward to my second experience Tuesday morning for CLC1.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I recieved the package recently, but my mentor wants me to schedule at least one at a testing center, until we can test the online system, see if there will be any issues. I am overseas, so timing is an issue too. I wonder if I should just wait until I get back to the states? I could complete some more certs, knock out more credits...
  • ThxlbxThxlbx Member Posts: 105
    How long into your first term does it take to get your access to the book 24 X 7? I don't have any login information yet, and I was under the impression we were automatically enrolled for it. Does it just take awhile like taskstream, or this is something I need to ask my mentor about? Thanks!
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    EWB2, TEV1, TTV1, CLC1, TSV1,WFV1,ORC1
    Courses Transferred:
    BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LVT1, QLC1, SSC1, SST1, QMC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1
    Courses needed:

BGV1, AKV1, GTT1, MGC1, WDV1, TPV1, GUT1, ABV1, TWA1, CPW4, BLV1
  • eansdadeansdad Member Posts: 775 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think it takes 10 days from your 1st talk with your mentor and after EWB.
    I got an email this afternoon will login info. It appears I am in! Thanks!
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    Courses Transferred:
    Courses needed:

One more question about the Books 24 X 7. Do you have to read them on your computer..or can you also access them via a kindle or another e-reader? Was considering an e-reader, if these books can be accessed via one that would probably seal the deal. Thanks!
    WGU B.S.IT - Security
    Currently Enrolled:
    LET1, INC1, INT1
    Courses Completed:
    Courses Transferred:
    Courses needed:

• sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    What maths are required for WGU? Lets say the Networking Design branch. I have talked to the WGU reps online, and all they say for math is you will need Foundational College Mathmatics - My question is what is that? is it college algebra? is there in calc? The guy I talked to from WGU was about as scripted as a robot.

Thanks in advanced.
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    What maths are required for WGU? Lets say the Networking Design branch. I have talked to the WGU reps online, and all they say for math is you will need Foundational College Mathmatics - My question is what is that? is it college algebra? is there in calc? The guy I talked to from WGU was about as scripted as a robot.

Thanks in advanced.

Algebra with a little stats and geometry thrown in.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've purchased most of the books but my books are paid for. Some of the classes can be done without purchasing the books. For instance the Javascript course can be done with just the book WGU sends you. I would also recommend getting the APA book for writing research papers as this book has helped me immensely.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    I've purchased most of the books but my books are paid for. Some of the classes can be done without purchasing the books. For instance the Javascript course can be done with just the book WGU sends you. I would also recommend getting the APA book for writing research papers as this book has helped me immensely.

i do like the fact most if not all books are paid for

but i still do get other books, at least for the comptia classes

comptia books arent all that great
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Krusty_47Krusty_47 Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm going through the application process right now and am a little worried about the Readiness assessment. I've been in and out of college for 10 years now and I'm a little rusty on a lot of the subjects outside of the technology related fields.

I was wanting to ask if someone knew what I should brush up on to make sure I get through that process. I'm pretty sure it would take much I just want to be prepared.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.
    Goals for 2011.

Graduate from WGU by Dec 2011. I have almost 80 CU's starting in February. This is also my new years resolution for 2011.

On the list for January 2011
    Project+ and CIW Foundations.
  • Excellent1Excellent1 Member Posts: 462 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Krusty_47 wrote: »
    I'm going through the application process right now and am a little worried about the Readiness assessment. I've been in and out of college for 10 years now and I'm a little rusty on a lot of the subjects outside of the technology related fields.

I was wanting to ask if someone knew what I should brush up on to make sure I get through that process. I'm pretty sure it would take much I just want to be prepared.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

The math is very basic, if you remember how to multiple and divide fractions, and very basic algebra, you'll be fine. The exam I had also had some generic reading comprehension type questions. I believe I also had a small writing section, but this was again nothing difficult. Just watch for basic grammar and you'll be fine.

It had been approximately 18 years since I had taken an "exam", so if I could pass it, I'm sure you'll be fine. Don't stress it, and good luck. :)
  • jayfittjayfitt Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone,

Great thread!

I plan to start WGU next year, but want to complete some of my gen-ed classes through Straighterline to save some shekels. Anyone here done Straighterline? Should I wait to apply to WGU until after my Straighterline classes are done?

Thanks guys...
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jayfitt wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Great thread!

I plan to start WGU next year, but want to complete some of my gen-ed classes through Straighterline to save some shekels. Anyone here done Straighterline? Should I wait to apply to WGU until after my Straighterline classes are done?

Thanks guys...

I would check with WGU beforehand to see if they would allow that to transfer. That said, wouldn't CLEP exams be a bit more cost efficient?
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
    arwes wrote: »
    I would check with WGU beforehand to see if they would allow that to transfer. That said, wouldn't CLEP exams be a bit more cost efficient?

Only if CLEPs cover the competencies in question. I think you mean "cost effective" as well. If there's no equivalent CLEP, DSST, TESC or Excelsior exam, then Straighterline can be a decently priced, quick option. WGU is a Straighterline partner as well, so I'd have to imagine there's a good possibility the courses would transfer.
    --Will Rogers
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cost efficient means cost effective and is the term I generally use, but thanks for the clarification on Straighterline. :)
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
    If you don't know the meterial then I guess Straighterline would be a way to go. Far cheaper to pick up a current used CLEP book and take a CLEP exam though.
  • Jack2Jack2 Member Posts: 153
    Done with EWB the first three days and already studying for the first three classes. Finally got my AAV out of the way with my Mentor~!

I should be able to get the CIW and A+ out of the way before the end of December.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Wow, no GE classes....very nice. You should have no problem going through your program! Best of luck in your studies! I think you left out LET1 and ORC1 though....and MGC1 and of course the Capstone...

And what earweed said. :)
    WGU Courses Completed at WGU: CPW3, EWB2, WFV1, TEV1, TTV1, AKV1, TNV1| TSV1, LET1, ORC1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CVV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, TXP1, TYP1, CUV1, TXC1, TYC1, CJV1
    Classes Transferred: BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LAT1, LUT1 ,1LC1, 1MC1, QLT1, IWC1, IWT1, INC1, INT1, SSC1, SST1, CLC1
    WGU Graduate - BSIT 2014
  • Krusty_47Krusty_47 Member Posts: 74 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Has anyone tried to double major? I was thinking about doing it myself and getting the NDM and Security majors. If you have done this I would love to hear your experience.
    Goals for 2011.

Graduate from WGU by Dec 2011. I have almost 80 CU's starting in February. This is also my new years resolution for 2011.

On the list for January 2011
    Project+ and CIW Foundations.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Has anyone tried to double major? I was thinking about doing it myself and getting the NDM and Security majors. If you have done this I would love to hear your experience.

Personally I think I it would be a waste of time and money. What your emphasis is in doesn't matter as much as people say it does.
  • blittrellblittrell Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi All,

Was planning on starting WGU in January and got my curriculum for the first 6 months, it is 5 classes, 1 being a CIW cert test, 2 being CompTIA, essentials/applications. I was looking at CompTIA and CIW descriptions and it looks really basic, like I could probably walk in there and pass the test without studying. Anyone have recommendations on whether I should look at piling on more classes? I sent my registration consultant the question of whether I could add more classes if I finish the ones scheduled earlier then the 6 months, I have not heard anything back yet.

Are the CompTIA/CIW classes harder then what I am seeing?
    They set up up for a minimum of 12 CUs but they can add more. I started Oct 1st and have finished 18 with 2 OLPs set for Sun that will add another 8 and a class I need to finish up the assessment that will add another 3. That will make 29 CUs in 2 months and I have mapped out 62 for my 1st term. As for the A+ classes, everything seems easy enough (I'm currently going through the Labsim) I just have an anxiety to tech exams. So if you do well on the practice exams then you should be ok. The CIW Foundations (WFV1) was a little tricky for me since I haven't done a lot of HTML coding in a long while. It is a lot of HTML and networking basics with some business tossed in. This has some good info on it for the exam CIW Foundations Study Guide. Good luck at WGU.
  • JaggedJagged Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□

http://kb.wgu.edu/display/2n/kb/article.asp?aid=1027:
    The WGU policy on second degree matriculation dictates that:
    • Students wishing to matriculate into a WGU baccalaureate degree program who already hold a BA or BS degree from a regionally or DETC accredited institution may only do so if the WGU degree will require a minimum of 24 CUs (the equivalent of two terms of work);
    • Students wishing to matriculate into a WGU master’s degree program who already hold a BA or BS degree from WGU may only do so if the WGU degree will require the completion of at least one domain of study in addition to any required clinical or capstone work;
    • Students wishing to matriculate into a WGU master’s degree program who already hold a WGU master’s degree or a master’s degree from a regionally or DETC accredited institution may only do so if the WGU degree will require the completion of at least one domain of study in addition to any clinical or capstone work;
    • Students may not complete two MBA, two MAT, or two MED degree programs;
    • Students may not matriculate into two WGU programs simultaneously.
    Sounds like even coming back for a second IT track after graduation is not allowed. But you should be able to say get an BS-IT then start a BS-Business degree. You may even be able to do BS-IT/BS-IT-Management, but I think someone in that case my be better off with one of the non-IT Business degrees for a nicer resume.
    Microsoft: MCSE 4, MCSE 2003 +Security, MSCA 2003 Messaging, MCITP:SA -- Cisco: CCNA
    Novell: CNE 3-6, CLA, CLP, CLE -- Nortel: NCDS, NCSS -- CompTIA: Project+, Server+, Linux+, Security+

Courses Completed at WGU:
    EWB2, BBC1, LAE1, WFV1, SSC1, CLC1, WDV1, MGC1, ORC1, INC1, IWC1
    Courses Required BS - IT: NETW:
    LAT1, LUT1, INT1, SST1, LET1, IWT1, BOV1, TWA1, CPW2
    Classes Transferred:
    BAC1, TEV1, TTV1, QLC1, QMC1, QLT1, TSV1, TPV1, TNV1, BRV1, ABV1, AHV1, AIV1, AJV1
  • sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    Hi everyone,

Great thread!

Thanks guys...

I plan on doing what ever I can Gen-ed wise at my local CC. For maths etc I prefer to have a actual teacher.
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
    Hi everyone,

Great thread!

Thanks guys...

Straighterline will work, but why not take some CLEPs/DSSTs? You can pace yourself, and it'd be a good prep for doing the self-study work you'll do with WGU.
    --Will Rogers
    Lets remember that this thread is not for debating WGU's policies, but rather to inform current WGU IT students and people considering WGU about WGU.
  • citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    What can I expect during the intake interview? Do they discuss the classes that are transfered in with the certs and degree?
    I just added this link to the thread:

Transferable IT Certifications
    How many revisions do we get, generally? I seem to remember two. If you don't make the grade on the second, what happens? My poor recollection says they charge you for any further resubmissions.
    --Will Rogers