Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    drew726 wrote: »
    omg, this labsim security+ practice exam...I keep getting 84%. I got 90% on darril gibson's book but the mentor wants me to get 90%+ on the labsim one. Do I only get a maximum 3 attempts at the labsim pre-assessment?
    The labsim "preassessment" as you call it can be taken as many times as it takes. It's basically a practice test.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    omg, this labsim security+ practice exam...I keep getting 84%. I got 90% on darril gibson's book but the mentor wants me to get 90%+ on the labsim one. Do I only get a maximum 3 attempts at the labsim pre-assessment?

That's a little silly that your mentor wants 90%+ on labsim. If you're hitting 90% on the Gibson book test you should knock the actual test out of the park. Here's to hoping you hit the 90% mark in labsim soon. icon_thumright.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■

All the practice exams are harder than the actual exams....84% on Labsim and 90% on Darril's means you're ready for the exam.

If you're mentor is adamant on 90% on the labsim, just do what you got to do to get the 90% on Labsim so you can get your voucher; Darril's was good enough.

What this tells me is that MeasureUp's must be gone from all preassessments like my mentor had told me they would be.
  • jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    erpadmin wrote: »
    What this tells me is that MeasureUp's must be gone from all preassessments like my mentor had told me they would be.

Not quite. I still had to take it for BRV1 or CCENT. I hadn't even opened a Cisco book yet and got a 95% on their test.
    WGU grad
    Not quite. I still had to take it for BRV1 or CCENT. I hadn't even opened a Cisco book yet and got a 95% on their test.

Do you know if MeasureUp's are still available for the MS exams?

I'm fine with LabSim's personally, as I would still utilize uCertify on my own anyway.

My mentor assured me that I would get the vouchers for the MS exams when I felt I was ready anyway...but I'd only be hurting myself if I sat for say, the 70-680, without doing some prep work on my end.
    There is no measureup for the 70-680. Actually, there isn't a preassessment at all. The only resource you get is labsim. I also bought Ucertify for the 70-680. I don't take the test for several weeks. I will report back.
    WGU grad
  • nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    I just got the ORC1/LET1 book in the mail, but I won't have access to the COS's for the classes until April 1st. Can anyone tell me if I should just read the book cover to cover or are any chapters that are outside of purview of the courses?
    nhpr wrote: »
    I just got the ORC1/LET1 book in the mail, but I won't have access to the COS's for the classes until April 1st. Can anyone tell me if I should just read the book cover to cover or are any chapters that are outside of purview of the courses?

I will send you a PM. I was pretty much in the same boat you're in.

I will send you what Student Services sent me so you'll be on your way.

Remember, the index is your friend. All I'm gonna send you are what the tasks are.
  • NickDogNickDog Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hello all,

Looks like I should be starting within the next week or two once transcripts are sorted out. I have two questions? What is the deal with the webcam and what about books? Will I get books besides the subscription to 24x7? I am going to be entering the BS Security.

Thanks!
  • rep21rep21 Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone transferred in an Associate of Applied science to WGU? I am completing mine in the summer and was wondering what all will transfer in and/or receive a requirement met status. My enrollment counselor is telling me that I would receive requirement met for math, science and english courses.
    WGU - MS in Information Security and Assurance: May 2016 Start
    WGU - BSIT: Software
    AAS - Systems Admin/Networking
    NickDog wrote: »
    What is the deal with the webcam and what about books?

The webcam is a very convienient way to take your WGU exams (English, math, sciences, humanities, critical thinking, etc.) Some students prefer to go to a testing center, college, library, or any other approved proctor site. If you have a quiet area in your home, then the OLP (Online Proctoring) can be very convenient. You take a picture of yourself, do some biometric typing, set up the webcam at a 45 degree angle, and take your exam. Personally, I've only had one problem, because I had lost connectivity with the exam, but a quick phone call to Krypterion tech support got me straight and was able to finish the exam (it was for MGC1, because I had taken ORC1 the day before with no incident.) I didn't like it in the beginning, but I got used to it. I only had 5 exams to take like that and my math one was the last webcam exam....the webcam is officially retired. As for books...I only bought the books for QLC1 and LET1/ORC1. The rest I either used other material, or skipped books entirely (like CLC1).

NickDog wrote: »
    Will I get books besides the subscription to 24x7?

If you are economically challenged, you may find Books 24x7 to be a Godsend, but you aren't going to have access to everything. Stuff like the Sybex PK0-003 and also Sybex guides for the other CompTIA exams are there, but I still prefer either a physical book or reading it on my Kindle device. I used my Kindle for PK0-003 (with Text-To-Speech) and SY0-201 (Darril Gibson's Get Certified Get Ahead). You just need to know what works for you. You will get ILT books for CompTIAs, but that's only going to be used as a door stop or something (they are NOT very good...despite what anyone tells you, and if you do use them, you'll want to use something else anyway....you have been warned. :) ).

Hope that helps.
  • PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    rep21 wrote: »
    Has anyone transferred in an Associate of Applied science to WGU? I am completing mine in the summer and was wondering what all will transfer in and/or receive a requirement met status. My enrollment counselor is telling me that I would receive requirement met for math, science and english courses.

I transferred in an A.A.S and just started this term with all generals but humanities either accepted as a transfer credit or requirement met by degree. I was honestly surprised with how much it exempted me from taking. It also knocked out a few IT classes like A+ and Network +.

Of course, that is talking about the general classes that are able to be knocked out. You likely still need to take the leadership/tech writing classes, etc.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
    Pishof wrote: »
    I transferred in an A.A.S and just started this term with all generals but humanities either accepted as a transfer credit or requirement met by degree. I was honestly surprised with how much it exempted me from taking. It also knocked out a few IT classes like A+ and Network +.

Of course, that is talking about the general classes that are able to be knocked out. You likely still need to take the leadership/tech writing classes, etc.
    Awesome, thanks!
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Pishof wrote: »

That's good news. I am finishing up my AAS in June.
    "Career or professional degrees (i.e. Associate of Applied Science, Associate of Business Administration, or Associate of Occupational Studies) will not be accepted to receive the requirement met for general education requirements. Undergraduate students entering into a College of Information Technology program (only) may receive requirement met for general education requirements with an Associate of Applied Science."

Original Post with WGU's Transfer Policy.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Undergraduate students entering into a College of Information Technology program (only) may receive requirement met for general education requirements with an Associate of Applied Science."

We shall call this the WGU IT Nerd/Geek AAS Exception.

WGU really does love self-motivated and dedicated IT Nerds and/or Geeks.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    mikej412 wrote: »
    We shall call this the WGU IT Nerd/Geek AAS Exception.

WGU really does love self-motivated and dedicated IT Nerds and/or Geeks.

LOL...

I'm glad you mentioned this Mike. As a self-motivated and IT nerd, myself, I'm not sure if WGU is doing my fellow IT brethren with AAS degrees any favors by, in essence, waiving the general education requirement for AAS graduates. The AS degree I understand, as you don't have to take any (or hardly any) GEs when you move on to any four-year school. But AAS degrees focus more on things you need to do for your professional job and hardly any GEs (if at all) are required to be taken.

There are things I value in a degree from a liberal arts institution. That's why I personally chose to come to WGU as opposed to Devry or ITT-Tech or any place like that. You also have to demonstrate some liberal arts knowledge should you want to pursue graduate-level coursework at a B&M.

I am not sure if WGU did any WGU students who hold a AAS degree any favors by essentially waiving this requirement. However, I had no problem reporting it, because I know that there are AAS students/graduates here.
    "Career or professional degrees (i.e. Associate of Applied Science, Associate of Business Administration, or Associate of Occupational Studies) will not be accepted to receive the requirement met for general education requirements. Undergraduate students entering into a College of Information Technology program (only) may receive requirement met for general education requirements with an Associate of Applied Science."

Original Post with WGU's Transfer Policy.

Interesting. They must have recently changed this. I transferred in with an A.A.S. and I didn't get much as far as credit (20 credits?) . Oh well I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel anyway.
    WGU grad
    LOL...

I'm glad you mentioned this Mike. As a self-motivated and IT nerd, myself, I'm not sure if WGU is doing my fellow IT brethren with AAS degrees any favors by, in essence, waiving the general education requirement for AAS graduates. The AS degree I understand, as you don't have to take any (or hardly any) GEs when you move on to any four-year school. But AAS degrees focus more on things you need to do for your professional job and hardly any GEs (if at all) are required to be taken.

There are things I value in a degree from a liberal arts institution. That's why I personally chose to come to WGU as opposed to Devry or ITT-Tech or any place like that. You also have to demonstrate some liberal arts knowledge should you want to pursue graduate-level coursework at a B&M.

I am not sure if WGU did any WGU students who hold a AAS degree any favors by essentially waiving this requirement. However, I had no problem reporting it, because I know that there are AAS students/graduates here.
    Its funny you should say that! I was confident I would transfer enough liberal arts and social science courses. I was mostly worried about the science and math not transferring. I only took up to trig for my math. For science, I had a bunch of health field related biology classes and all of them had integrated labs, so I wasn't sure if they would transfer over or not! :)
  • drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    Anyone know if it's possible to ask them for the voucher to take project+ 2003 objectives instead of the 2009 because of the easier grading? It retires on the 31st, so I still have some time.
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
    Anyone know if it's possible to ask them for the voucher to take project+ 2003 objectives instead of the 2009 because of the easier grading? It retires on the 31st, so I still have some time.

WGU will not allow for you to take the 2003 objectives.

Plus, if you go to the Project Community on WGU, you will find that it is not any easier than the 2009, despite the lower amount of questions.
  • demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819 ■■■■■□□□□□

yea 2009 is alot nicer and easier to study for

hit me up in a pm i can send you some online flashcards im still working on typing up a quick study guide
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
    Thanks, I'm good. My mentor gave me the measureup for the 2003 objectives and I only got 65%. It definitely seemed harder than the practice exams I found else where. It's about the same difficulty as the ones in my Sybex book though. My god, that book was boring. No text-to-speech like erpadmin did; I just read it cover to cover.

The girl in the project+ skillsoft thing sounded hot though lol
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    My god, that book was boring. No text-to-speech like erpadmin did; I just read it cover to cover.

If push came to shove, I could have read the Sybex PK0-003 guide cover to cover myself. But then you'd be reading that I'm taking the exam next week from when I started back in November. I'm not even exaggerating; chapter one without TTS was putting me to sleep.

To put that into perspective, the math classes didn't have that effect on me, and I hate math. As earweed said though, much of it I understood because I had gone through it before but just hadn't touched in well over a decade.

BTW, I printed out those flashcards demonfurbie made as well and took them with me on exam day. I crammed like a mad man in my car before I went in to the test exam. I have to put into perspective that project management was part of my career the last eight years. Without that, I would have spent much more time on this exam and broke 800.

When I go for the PMP, I'll be spending some sweet time on that exam.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks, I'm good. My mentor gave me the measureup for the 2003 objectives and I only got 65%. It definitely seemed harder than the practice exams I found else where. It's about the same difficulty as the ones in my Sybex book though. My god, that book was boring. No text-to-speech like erpadmin did; I just read it cover to cover.

Amusing, I found her voice annoying icon_lol.gif
  • nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    The Sybex Project+ book had a similar effect on me. I'd notice that I read every word on a page, but I had no idea what I'd actually read because I wasn't paying attention. The best solution I found was to read five pages, watch something on YouTube or read a news article, and go back to the book. The material is rather dry, but they didn't make any effort to help it. They could've had a case study or two about managing a ninja-for-hire service or something.
  • petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    The Sybex Project+ book had a similar effect on me. I'd notice that I read every word on a page, but I had no idea what I'd actually read because I wasn't paying attention. The best solution I found was to read five pages, watch something on YouTube or read a news article, and go back to the book. The material is rather dry, but they didn't make any effort to help it. They could've had a case study or two about managing a ninja-for-hire service or something.

Is it the current 2009 book? Isn't the 2009 book written by the same gal who wrote the Sybex PMP book? I thought her PMP book pretty good, but no matter how you write it I'd imagine the material itself is inevitably going to be boring in patches.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
    If push came to shove, I could have read the Sybex PK0-003 guide cover to cover myself. But then you'd be reading that I'm taking the exam next week from when I started back in November. I'm not even exaggerating; chapter one without TTS was putting me to sleep.

To put that into perspective, the math classes didn't have that effect on me, and I hate math. As earweed said though, much of it I understood because I had gone through it before but just hadn't touched in well over a decade.

BTW, I printed out those flashcards demonfurbie made as well and took them with me on exam day. I crammed like a mad man in my car before I went in to the test exam. I have to put into perspective that project management was part of my career the last eight years. Without that, I would have spent much more time on this exam and broke 800.

When I go for the PMP, I'll be spending some sweet time on that exam.

Do you use the TTS function on your kindle? I'm trying to figure out how to get it to work off a PDF.
    Completed Courses:
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:

Same here. It takes me a long time to finish reading it because I have to sometimes read a paragraph twice if not three times because it just goes in one ear and straight out the other.
    Completed Courses:
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    petedude wrote: »
    Is it the current 2009 book? Isn't the 2009 book written by the same gal who wrote the Sybex PMP book? I thought her PMP book pretty good, but no matter how you write it I'd imagine the material itself is inevitably going to be boring in patches.

Exactly. The book is very well written and I would have passed the exam on the first try if the material wasn't so boring.