Options

Western Governors University Questions and Answers / Threads related to WGU

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ... And the answer as of now is 12 CUs ;)
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ... And the answer as of now is 12 CUs ;)
    If it's a VA program (not sure if GI Bill has same limit) the minimum is 18.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I'm still trying to decide if I want to go to WGU and was wondering how long I could expect it to take to complete. I'll be doing the security track and will start after I finish CCNA:Security at the end of this summer. These are the certs I'd be going in with:
    CCNA, CCNA:Sec, A+, MCTS:70-680.

With my A.A.S. and the above certifications I'm hoping to be done at WGU in one year or less. I work full time and can't commit more than 20 hours per week to study. Is this feasible? Money is an issue, so I really don't want to go beyond a year.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    demonfurbiedemonfurbie Member Posts: 1,819
    ehnde wrote: »
    I'm still trying to decide if I want to go to WGU and was wondering how long I could expect it to take to complete. I'll be doing the security track and will start after I finish CCNA:Security at the end of this summer. These are the certs I'd be going in with:
    CCNA, CCNA:Sec, A+, MCTS:70-680.

With my A.A.S. and the above certifications I'm hoping to be done at WGU in one year or less. I work full time and can't commit more than 20 hours per week to study. Is this feasible? Money is an issue, so I really don't want to go beyond a year.

i would say its a good bet you can do it in one year

i would also say try and get any ciw certs out of way first ... start studying then soon as you start take the exams
    wgu undergrad: done ... woot!!
    WGU MS IT Management: done ... double woot :cheers:
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    i would also say try and get any ciw certs out of way first ... start studying then soon as you start take the exams

Thanks for the response!
    In light of what you said, this comes to mind.....If a student gets all certs required in a program before beginning at WGU - are there any required competency exams to take, or would it just be whatever remaining general ed stands between you and your degree?
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you have all the certs needed before starting then the only IT classes you would have to take would be technical writing and the Capstone (maybe the Portfolio class, depending on your emphasis)
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    If you have all the certs needed before starting then the only IT classes you would have to take would be technical writing and the Capstone (maybe the Portfolio class, depending on your emphasis)

Don't forget he have to take the leadership and management courses too. I got 70% of my credits transferred, and I hope to start in July.
  • Options
    NobylspoonNobylspoon Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks bishun and veritas_libertas. Perhaps I was just remembering 18 CUs from the GI Bill stuff.
    earweed wrote: »
    If it's a VA program (not sure if GI Bill has same limit) the minimum is 18.

Thanks. I am using Chapter 30 so I think I am just going to request 3/4 time and then shoot for full time since they will back pay the other 25% at the end of term. Especially since this is my first term and I don't know how difficult it will be for me to get 18 CUs.
    WGU PROGRESS

MS: Information Security & Assurance
    Start Date: December 2013
  • Options
    Would anyone recommend taking all of the math courses in a single term to get them out of the way? Do they all build off of each other, ie would this be beneficial or is it not worth the headache?

Math isn't my strong suit. The last math class I had was Algebra I about a decade ago. However, I think that I would catch on fast once I learn/relearn the rules.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    Nobylspoon wrote: »
    Would anyone recommend taking all of the math courses in a single term to get them out of the way? Do they all build off of each other, ie would this be beneficial or is it not worth the headache?

Math isn't my strong suit. The last math class I had was Algebra I about a decade ago. However, I think that I would catch on fast once I learn/relearn the rules.

I found it easier to go through all of the math courses this term as you'll be in the mindset for it. I used the order of GAC1 > HHT1 > QLT1 and it worked out pretty well (completed the BAC1 immediately after EWB since it's mostly the same math concepts as those found on the intake interview). If you think you can catch back onto it pretty quick then you might as well do them all together, I don't see a need to separate it all out.

Even if you're not the best at math, I would still recommend doing them all together so you can at least get them out of the way and then focus on the rest of your studies.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    I found it easier to go through all of the math courses this term as you'll be in the mindset for it. I used the order of GAC1 > HHT1 > QLT1 and it worked out pretty well (completed the BAC1 immediately after EWB since it's mostly the same math concepts as those found on the intake interview). If you think you can catch back onto it pretty quick then you might as well do them all together, I don't see a need to separate it all out.

Even if you're not the best at math, I would still recommend doing them all together so you can at least get them out of the way and then focus on the rest of your studies.

Thanks, I think I will go ahead and request those 4 classes along with IT Fundamentals I (II and III transferred in). Hopefully I will have some time after to add on some more later in the term.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I found it much easier to just take all the math courses in the same term. At first I felt a little overwhelmed, but once I got going, I got into a nice groove and knocked em' all out!
  • Options

Math is my weak area, so I'm taking one per semester instead of all at once.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Thanks, I think I will go ahead and request those 4 classes along with IT Fundamentals I (II and III transferred in). Hopefully I will have some time after to add on some more later in the term.

Might wanna take what Lemondae says with a grain of salt. He's a frickin math genius and loves the stuff. Never could trust someone that enjoyed math that much. icon_lol.gif
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    nhprnhpr Member Posts: 165
    They don't specifically mention anyone overtly using coercive power in the example. However, there is someone *cough*management*cough* who has it.
  • Options
    I just finished EWB but I never saw the second English and Math assessment test that I was reading about. When is this done?
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    I just finished EWB but I never saw the second English and Math assessment test that I was reading about. When is this done?

The only assessments I came across for English and Math were the ones required before starting EWB and your courses. Once you complete EWB then you move on to the actual courses (unless they changed something since I started in March).
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    The only assessments I came across for English and Math were the ones required before starting EWB and your courses. Once you complete EWB then you move on to the actual courses (unless they changed something since I started in March).

I took some assessment tests during the enrollment process but aside from that, I didn't see any requirements before starting EWB.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I took some assessment tests during the enrollment process but aside from that, I didn't see any requirements before starting EWB.

I don't think it applies to everyone. I'm sure their procedure remains the same. I haven't officially enrolled yet, but I will let you guys know when I enroll in July hopefully. I think those who did really great job on the assessment test, and got all the math and general eds. transferred are not required to take the additional assessment before EWB.
  • Options
    I don't think it applies to everyone. I'm sure their procedure remains the same. I haven't officially enrolled yet, but I will let you guys know when I enroll in July hopefully. I think those who did really great job on the assessment test, and got all the math and general eds. transferred are not required to take the additional assessment before EWB.

Maybe that is what happened. I had English transfer in and I had a math genius assist me on the initial enrollment assessment test.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    JourdshJourdsh Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow, so I finished EWB, and now am class blocked. Had no idea that I would have to wait until the 15th to actually take some classes. No idea why I cleared my schedule to really go at it the first couple of weeks.

Oh well, at least I can study for certs that I will take in the future.
    WGU Progress
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Jourdsh wrote: »
    Wow, so I finished EWB, and now am class blocked. Had no idea that I would have to wait until the 15th to actually take some classes. No idea why I cleared my schedule to really go at it the first couple of weeks.

Do you have to take CIW Foundations? I would start on that now so you can take the exam the second it opens up.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options

Sounds like we have the same mentor, lol. I'm doing as Petedude suggested. There is a CIW book on books24x7 that you should have access to. I also was able to get my mentor to unlock preassessment tests. I took the critical thinking one and passed, was pretty easy.
    WGU PROGRESS

• Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    Since I started Jan 1st I had to wait for Jan 2nd to do EWB. I also had scheduled with my mentor a call that same day. Finished EWB before first call and had the other classes I needed opened all in the same day. Wow if I had to wait I would have been bummed out.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    citinerd wrote: »
    Since I started Jan 1st I had to wait for Jan 2nd to do EWB. I also had scheduled with my mentor a call that same day. Finished EWB before first call and had the other classes I needed opened all in the same day. Wow if I had to wait I would have been bummed out.

Very similar situation to myself. I had my call set for day 3, she saw EWB done and she opened up what I needed. Haven't had any other issues with her at all.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    JourdshJourdsh Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sent a message to Student Services, as my mentor has once again refused to add even one Foundation class to my AAV until possibly the 10th.
    WGU Progress
  • Options
    MikeinPAMikeinPA Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello All,
    Long time reader, first time poster. I've recently enrolled in the IT program and I've scheduled WFV1 (CIW Foundations 1D0-510 Certification Exam) for later this month. I know this test has questions from all three areas (Internet Business, Network Technology, Site Development). I feel very strong with the internet business and site development questions, but I'm weak in the network technology area. Can anyone give me an rough idea of how the actual test is? Would you say it's an even mix of questions between all three areas? Is the self-study kit the best resource you've seen for studying for the test?
  • Options
    MikeinPA wrote: »
    Hello All,
    Long time reader, first time poster. I've recently enrolled in the IT program and I've scheduled WFV1 (CIW Foundations 1D0-510 Certification Exam) for later this month. I know this test has questions from all three areas (Internet Business, Network Technology, Site Development). I feel very strong with the internet business and site development questions, but I'm weak in the network technology area. Can anyone give me an rough idea of how the actual test is? Would you say it's an even mix of questions between all three areas? Is the self-study kit the best resource you've seen for studying for the test?

I wouldn't get too uptight about the exam. If you skim the books than you should do fine. Read up some more on the networking domain and you will do fine.

Certified Internet Web Professional | Standards for Success
  • Options
    MikeinPAMikeinPA Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the response. I've designed many websites over the years, but the network stuff is very detailed. I know the test is only 85 questions, so how detailed can it really get...

I'm in a very unique situation with WGU. I already have a BS in Business Management from them, but I've decided I also want the BS in IT before moving on to another school for my MBA.

ALL of my courses have been passed, except for IT related courses. So I have 14 IT course, and that's it. Its going to be "All IT, all the time" for me over the next year. :D
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sent a message to Student Services, as my mentor has once again refused to add even one Foundation class to my AAV until possibly the 10th.

I am pretty lucky I guess....... my mentor lets me call the shots. I've never really let her down, but she basically lets me decide which courses I want to add. If things continue like this, and you are passing your assessments, I would suggest switching mentors.