Options

ccent on monday a bit nervous

irishpunkirishpunk Member Posts: 47 ■■□□□□□□□□
whats up everyone,

I apologize for the following rant

So ive studied really hard over the last 6 weeks and just finally said I cant TAKE IT ANYMORE !!! and scheduled my ccent exam. Normally the day of a cert exam I'm nervous but this is just ridiculous Ive been freaking out the last 3 days. I keep going over everything looking for something I don't know I score between 85 and 95% on transcender and boson test sims which are actually some of the highest scores I have ever gotten on any test sim. Today im going to lab it up and just go over everything and anything that might show up on the exam. What is it about this stupid exam that makes me so nervous?

take care,
Sean

Comments

• Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    irishpunk wrote: »
    whats up everyone,

I apologize for the following rant

So ive studied really hard over the last 6 weeks and just finally said I cant TAKE IT ANYMORE !!! and scheduled my ccent exam. Normally the day of a cert exam I'm nervous but this is just ridiculous Ive been freaking out the last 3 days. I keep going over everything looking for something I don't know I score between 85 and 95% on transcender and boson test sims which are actually some of the highest scores I have ever gotten on any test sim. Today im going to lab it up and just go over everything and anything that might show up on the exam. What is it about this stupid exam that makes me so nervous?

take care,
    Sean
    Good Luck on Monday.

I know what you mean about nerves when sitting Cisco exams. I've done 6 exams in the last 6 months, 4 of them Cisco. The other two were a walk in the park compared to the Cisco exams; I don't mean in difficulty, they were all hard, I mean the nervous reponse I had a few days before each.

I think it is because of the impression drilled into us all that Ciscco exams are the hardest in the business - it really gets the nerves up. Don't worry they really aren't as bad as everyone says they are, just take your time, read the question, then the answers, then read the question again and pace yourself.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I think what makes you nervous is the fact that you haven't done a Cisco exam yet, so you don't know what to expect, you paid $125 and you don't want to lose that. In addition, you've probably heard people say how "difficult" Cisco's exams are! Don't sweat it man, I didn't do CCENT and then CCNA, I just did the 640-802 single CCNA exam, and I was so nervous I could barely move my mouse I was shaking so bad! Just review any materials over the next two days. Review subnetting with subnettingquestions.com, when Monday comes, DO NOT forget to breath. Read the questions, read the answers, then re-read the question, and select your right answer. You'll do fine! Let us know the results and Good luck !!!
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Welcome to the wonderful world of Cisco Exams! :D

It took about 15 Cisco Exams before the Pre-Exam Jitters finally went away for me.

And I did have the During-Exam Jitters for my first Cisco exam, the CCNA 640-801 -- but they never came back after that.

With the ICND1 exam you at least have a smaller bite of material & topics to worry about, so hopefully after the first few questions you'll calm down. And if they hit you up with a SIM near the start of the exam -- focus and power through it.

Check out the CCNA Forum FAQ and follow the link to the Exam Tutorial and Demo so you have an idea about the question types on the exam. Watch the examples and use the "Try Me" option at least on the SIM so you feel comfortable with it. If there's an updated version for the SIM, you'll still have the problem area, maybe a graphic where you can select your router/switch connection, and the terminal window.

Good Luck!! icon_thumright.gif

Oh -- Standard Exam Advice:

Watch your time management on the exam. Don't spend more than 10 minutes on a SIM. If you've done enough hands on lab work, the SIMs are easy points. But there can be ungraded Beta Questions -- so if you get lost on a SIM, hope its a Beta question and move on. But try something in case it is a graded SIM, since you can get partial credit on a SIM. And SIMs are worth more points than the other question types.

Also read the question, all the answers, and then read the question AGAIN. If you misread a question, you may jump on the right answer to the wrong question. Plus as you're reading the answers, you may just toss out an "answer" that wouldn't make sense in any context. You might see a "true statement" that isn't relevant to the question asked, etc... Then reading the question again with the possible answers in your mind might make you notice a word or phrase you misinterpreted on your first read of the question.

And in case you've done other vendor exams, Cisco exams DON'T have a mark/review option. You answer the question and when you hit NEXT, that's it. That question is gone forever. No moving forward or backwards or checking your answers at the end.

If you get a SIMLET, make sure you've answered all the individual questions before you hit next. It should have a pop up and ask if you're sure, so STOP and think before you hit ok. You should also probably do the "Try Me" part in the Cisco Exam Demo for the SIMLET too.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    bcall64bcall64 Member Posts: 156
    I'm right in the same boat with you. I take my exam tomorrow and honestly I'm just ready to give it a shot. I want to get my first Cisco exam under my belt. If I really look at things objectively it's not a big deal, it's just a test that can be retaken if worse comes to worse.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I remember getting hit with not one, but TWO sims before question 10 on the 640-801..it was very demoralizing..although the rest of the test was a lot easier, or it seemed like it!
  • Options
    I passed the ccent with an 852, I'm a little disappointed with the score but a pass is a pass. I felt the questions were evenly distributed through out the exams topics list. So best advice I can give you is really, just know how a network works inside and out I. Make sure you really understand the output of the various show commands as well(I think this saved more than being able to subnet). I feel kind of stupid posting this but there were times when I thought I was taking a reading comprehension test, maybe Cisco does that on purpose. Many thanks to all for the encouragement and advice My grocery list of materials used is :

Odoms book
    Chris Bryant stuff
    Techexams
    cbt nuggets
    1 2950 switch
    2 3640 routers
    Gns3
    transcender test sim
    Boson test sim

Thanks everyone !!
    Sean
  • Options
    bcall64bcall64 Member Posts: 156
    I passed the ccent with an 852, I'm a little disappointed with the score but a pass is a pass. I felt the questions were evenly distributed through out the exams topics list. So best advice I can give you is really, just know how a network works inside and out I. Make sure you really understand the output of the various show commands as well(I think this saved more than being able to subnet). I feel kind of stupid posting this but there were times when I thought I was taking a reading comprehension test, maybe Cisco does that on purpose. Many thanks to all for the encouragement and advice My grocery list of materials used is :

Odoms book
    Chris Bryant stuff
    Techexams
    cbt nuggets
    1 2950 switch
    2 3640 routers
    Gns3
    transcender test sim
    Boson test sim

Thanks everyone !!
    Sean

Congrats on the pass!! The forums really helped me as well. I know what you mean about reading comprehension I felt like Cisco was constantly trying to trick me. :)
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass! I had a similar score, and I totally agree with the comprehension bit! It seems as if cisco wants you to not only understand the material, but understand it regardless of the situation they want to place you in.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    Thanks guys, Now that Ive gotten that first cisco exam out of the way I feel like Ill be more comfortable on future exams. Now onto the ccna Which means I get to expand my lab woot !!!

take care,
    Sean
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I passed
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    Now that Ive gotten that first cisco exam out of the way
    Did you get your first Cisco exam PASS Celebration drunken_smilie.gif out of the way? It's an important milestone you need to achieve before you head back to study icon_study.gif for the NEXT ONE icon_eek.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!