Options

C:\users shared by default

Dracula28Dracula28 Member Posts: 232
I find this very weird. It means that all users who think they can put their personal files in the my documents folder, are in for a surprise. And most users actually do just that. Which means that anyone on the network can have access to users' personal files, unless they stop sharing c:\users manually.
Current certs: MCP (210) MCSA (270, 290, 291 and 680) MCTS (680, 640)

Comments

• Options
    crrussell3crrussell3 Member Posts: 561
    NTFS rights would prevent just anyone from accessing their user folder though. That is, unless the person has local admin rights.
    MCTS: Windows Vista, Configuration
    MCTS: Windows WS08 Active Directory, Configuration
  • Options
    Are you sure about that? Because the everyone group has read NTFS permissions on the c:\users folder, which would give everyone the effective read permission on the folder. Perhaps it depends on who are members of the local built-in everyone group in Windows 7.

I'll try this in a lab tomorrow.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I run 7 ultimate at home and my C:\users is not shared by default.
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Dracula28 wrote: »
    Are you sure about that? Because the everyone group has read NTFS permissions on the c:\users folder, which would give everyone the effective read permission on the folder. Perhaps it depends on who are members of the local built-in everyone group in Windows 7.

Just check the permissions on the actual profile directories. They don't have permissions for "Everyone".
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just check the permissions on the actual profile directories. They don't have permissions for "Everyone".

Odd. Mine did. However, I also disabled sharing.
  • Options
    Dracula28 wrote: »

True, the Users folder may give Everyone "Read" permissions, but the child folders in it will have inheritance disabled, thus removing the everyone group.
    Odd, mine is shared by default. The folder doesn't have the "shared" icon, but if you unc your hostname or check your shares, mine is shared. Wonder what is with the inconsistent settings?
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    crrussell3 wrote: »
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Odd, mine is shared by default. The folder doesn't have the "shared" icon, but if you unc your hostname or check your shares, mine is shared. Wonder what is with the inconsistent settings?
    Hyper-Me isn't a member of a Homegroup while crrussell3 is - that would be my guess for the differences (haven't checked in a lab though).
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    astorrs wrote: »
    Hyper-Me isn't a member of a Homegroup while crrussell3 is - that would be my guess for the differences (haven't checked in a lab though).

That would likely be it.

Homegroups share out certain folders/libraries for access across the whole group.
  • Options
    astorrs wrote: »

Ah yes, didn't think about Homegroup. That would account for it.
  • Options
    Yes, I think it is related to homegroups. When two computer joins a homegroup, the users can freely browse each others profiles (docs, pictures etc), because the homeusers group is given read permissions.
  • Options
    xukaxuka3xukaxuka3 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Yes, your are true. I accept with information: the Users folder may give Everyone "Read" permissions, but the child folders in it will have inheritance disabled, thus removing the everyone group.