Options

Stuppored's CCNA Progress Thread

Comments

• Options
    mikem2temikem2te Member Posts: 407
    The next option is XMODEM. But that takes a LOOOONG time from what I hear and right now, it's just not worth my time....
    Some rommon's have a switch on the "xmodem" command to use ymodem instead. Much more relaible.
    Blog : http://www.caerffili.co.uk/

Previous : Passed Configuring Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 (70-630)
    Currently : EIGRP & OSPF
    Next : CCNP Route
  • Options
    StupporedStuppored Member Posts: 152 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Righteo, I have contacted a vendor that will help get me whatever used cisco gear I want. I would like some personal opinions here:

I want to complete CCNA and CCNP.
    I want to purchase only ONE switch and ONE router to add to my current setup. Hopefully they will work with my ancient equipment. I would like ONE of each so that I can practice the commands in my various labs without finding out I'm a bunch of IOS' out of date without chance of upgrading to make it work.

Can someone with CCNA and CCNP please recommend ONE switch and ONE router with model/features that I should look into picking up so I can proceed with my lab studies.

I will be making a flame towards the company that provided my original gear and study material later tonight so that unsuspecting individuals can read it and not make the same mistake I did.
  • Options
    notgoing2failnotgoing2fail Member Posts: 1,138
    mikem2te wrote: »
    Some rommon's have a switch on the "xmodem" command to use ymodem instead. Much more relaible.

Thanks, I'll see if the 2950 supports this ymodem command....even if I increase the rate to 115000 baud rate, it would take awhile...
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Stuppored wrote: »
    I will be making a flame towards the company that provided my original gear and study material later tonight so that unsuspecting individuals can read it and not make the same mistake I did.
    And I deleted it.

Posting the information here only helps them move up in the Internet search rankings.

Yes -- overpriced old equipment, illegal copies of stuff, and at least one ****.

A 1721 ($50) or 2600XM ($80-200 depending on model) will do SDM and router on a stick.

A 2950 switch ($30-60) does the stuff you'll be tested on for the CCNA, though you can't do much of the cool stuff with only 1 switch.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Thanks...no sarcasm intended...I just needed to vent my frustration.

I found a local dealer for Cisco gear. I am picking up only 1 2950 24port switch tomorrow. They verified all ports working and give me a 90 day warranty unless I brick it by IOS upgrade failure. They weren't sure of the IOS version as they weren't a technician and I want the switch by this morning. Now based on your price range suggestion, it looks like I'm paying a lot... $174...I am not too happy about it, but I am desperate ATM to catch up on hands on labs, so whatever.
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks...no sarcasm intended...I just needed to vent my frustration.

I found a local dealer for Cisco gear. I am picking up only 1 2950 24port switch tomorrow. They verified all ports working and give me a 90 day warranty unless I brick it by IOS upgrade failure. They weren't sure of the IOS version as they weren't a technician and I want the switch by this morning. Now based on your price range suggestion, it looks like I'm paying a lot... $174...I am not too happy about it, but I am desperate ATM to catch up on hands on labs, so whatever.

Ouch! That is a lot. You could get a 2950 for half that price if you could wait a few days for it to be shipped.
  • Options
    I'll consider E-bay in the future. At the same time I like that I can swap it out free of charge if I bought the wrong one, with a 1 year warranty.

I booted it up to find that it can only run an IOS of 12.1.
    Can someone please explain to me the MAJOR differences between 12.0/12.1/12.2/12.3/12.4
    I still cannot run SSH/crypto commands - I am led to believe they're available on a switch with IOS 12.2.
    Are certain ones only available on layer 3 switches, etc. I'm finding it difficult to break into IOS numbering basics. This page kind of explained a few details to me: CCNA LAB 5: Picking IOS revisions and Memory | NetworkWorld.com Community but I am still in the dark about the .1.2.3.4 core differences.
  • Options
    I booted it up to find that it can only run an IOS of 12.1.
    121-22.EA13 is the latest image available for the 2950 -- so 12.1 is the current version.
    I still cannot run SSH/crypto commands
    The crypto images available are:
    C2950 EI AND SI IOS CRYPTO IMAGE
    c2950-i6k2l2q4-mz.121-22.EA13.bin
    Release Date: 03/Mar/2009
    Size: 3634.72 KB (3721946 bytes)
    Minimum Memory: DRAM:16 MB Flash:8 MB
    or
    C2950 EI AND SI IOS CRYPTO AND WEB BASED DEVICE MANAGER
    c2950-i6k2l2q4-tar.121-22.EA13.tar
    Size: 5610.00 KB (5744640 bytes)
    The non-crypto versions are:
    C2950 EI AND SI IOS IMAGE
    c2950-i6q4l2-mz.121-22.EA13.bin
    Size: 3058.89 KB (3132298 bytes)
    or
    C2950 EI AND SI IOS IMAGE AND WEB BASED DEVICE MANAGER
    c2950-i6q4l2-tar.121-22.EA13.tar
    Size: 5030.00 KB (5150720 bytes)

Guest Level CCO login still lets you download the access layer switch IOS images.... after showing the scary notice:
    Cisco's End User Software License Agreement (above) governs your use of the Cisco software listed at this web site. Click the highlighted link (above) for the full text of the Agreement, which may be updated from time to time by Cisco in its sole discretion and without notice. Cisco will post a copy of the updated version of the Cisco End User Software License Agreement, and you will independently and regularly review the Agreement at this URL.

Software Download Rules - Please Read Carefully

By clicking "Agree" below, you agree to each of the following:
    1. That you shall be bound by Cisco's End User Software License Agreement posted at the above URL regarding your use of any Cisco software you download from this web site;
    2. That you are only entitled to download Cisco software for the Cisco hardware chassis or device or the particular application software or signature file for which you have paid the applicable software license fees;
    3. That you must purchase a Cisco Operating system Software feature set upgrade license if the feature set you intend to download is not included in your initial license;
    4. That you have a current and valid service contract that covers either the specific Cisco hardware chassis or device for which you are downloading software and/or the software image or subscription file update (e.g., for Intrusion Detection System) that you are downloading;
    5. That Cisco reserves the right to: (a) charge you for, and you agree to pay for, software /signature file downloads to which you are not entitled, and (b) immediately suspend or terminate your access to this web site if you download software to which you are not so entitled.
  • Options
    I don't know if I will ever be able to read Cisco IOS images. It seems so cryptic!
  • Options
    The download instructions in this post still mostly work:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/31002-ios-2924xl.html#post210979

After the switches/ios software selection, you now get the access/distribution/core switch options. The CCNA switches should be under Access Switches and should still let you download with guest level CCO account.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice! Upgraded IOS version no problem.
    I did not realize that cryptographic software was THIS big of a deal. To download I had to use radio buttons stating what kind of individual I am. After reloading I could not help but notice the extensive legal messages while booting.... pretty insane... guess Cisco REALLY does not want to held liable for a network admin loading the wrong IOS in the wrong country.

I followed these instructions
    How do I upgrade an IOS tar file on a 2950 Catalyst switch? Cisco Forum FAQ - dslreports.com

After clicking around on Cisco's site, I found this menu helpful about my .0/.1/.2/.3/.4 question: Cisco IOS and NX-OS Software Introduction - Cisco Systems
    Clicking on the 'Mainline' release gives a good basic intro to what that revision does.
  • Options
    You can find a bunch of useful information (PDFs) on the Cisco Partner Central Portable Product Sheets web page.
    They've got PDFs for Router Memory, Router Performance, Switch Performance, Modules Cross Reference, etc -- and an IOS Packaging PDF.

The shortcut to the Cisco Feature Navigator is also good to know.
    www.cisco.com/go/fn

• Options
    I did not realize that cryptographic software was THIS big of a deal. To download I had to use radio buttons stating what kind of individual I am.
    You must not be in the US, eh?
  • Options
    About not being an American -- Correctomondo.

Just wondering if I am expected to know how to use Binary to solve subnetting problems? I like the current method I am using to solve. But will the exams tell me to solve via binary in certain instances only? Or will other more advanced courses like CCNP require only binary to solve? I'd rather not spend 8 hours reviewing a chapter doing the same thing if I don't have to.
  • Options
    About not being an American -- Correctomondo.

Just wondering if I am expected to know how to use Binary to solve subnetting problems? I like the current method I am using to solve. But will the exams tell me to solve via binary in certain instances only? Or will other more advanced courses like CCNP require only binary to solve? I'd rather not spend 8 hours reviewing a chapter doing the same thing if I don't have to.

Well what exactly is your method now? As long as you know how to subnet it doesn't matter what methods you use....

Understanding binary and subnetting are kinda the same thing....
  • Options
    There isn't any spot to show your work -- and I doubt they scan in your scratch paper and submit then to Cisco with your exam -- so use what ever method you're comfortable with to select the correct answers (or apply the correct address/mask).
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses!

I'm wondering what would be best to be done after CCNA. I'm about 3 weeks away from being fully prepared for the ICND 1 exam.

I have been using XP for the last decade or so. I never gave Vista a shot because of its reputation. Now that Windows 7 is out, I know nothing about it concretely. So... I was thinking I'd do a Windows 7 exam to learn what I don't already know. Hope the books are not too dumbed down.

That one should be a breeze. But after that, should I be working towards CCNP or MCSE2008? Both will take me ~ 10 months atleast to complete. What would your motivations & pros/cons of doing the one vs the other. I'm almost thinking it would be best to do the MCSE to be well versed and I could always pickup the CCNP after.
  • Options
    Anyone know of a 2 ^ x game where I can practice the powers of 2. Something that asks me random numbers and converting the answer back to exponent value. I hope to find something like this so I can play it so much I become messed up from playing it so much. Ought to help my thinking time on exponents. Much appreciated if someone can throw me a good link!
  • Options
    Anyone know of a 2 ^ x game where I can practice the powers of 2. Something that asks me random numbers and converting the answer back to exponent value. I hope to find something like this so I can play it so much I become messed up from playing it so much. Ought to help my thinking time on exponents. Much appreciated if someone can throw me a good link!

Do you have Wendell Odoms books? It comes with a subnet game.

If not, I think you can download that game off Cisco's site....
  • Options
    thanks, i'll look through the cd tonight!

wow. watch this tool! imagine hiring this guy and working with him :$ hope he ain't on this forum lol i like the ending where his blibber blabber just gets cut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDQT4x1ehck&feature=related

hahahaha wow! he's cracked out. and telling you what you NEED to buy... if you look closely after a while you may realize that his desk table is covered with a towel!! somehow this is just as amusing as southpark.:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JJACpnhaP4&feature=related

i did however find this one video somewhat inspirational:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKYb7i9EJ_o&feature=related
  • Options
    Nearly 2am now... I found that my 3640 Router can potentially handle IOS v 12.4.... however all I could get my paws on was a 12.2 version. I am going to assume that all the currently UNAVAILABLE features are available in the 12.4 version?

Does anyone else here have a 3640 router?

stuppored-albums-sdm-picture123-sdm.jpg
  • Options
    I was able to upgrade to 12.4. But only after throwing on an image that failed... forcing me to use xmodem to transfer. It took 4 hours to download.
    I tried googling a photo of the PCMCIA card designed for the 3640. I could not find one. Anyone with a link to a photo of what one looks like? (not sure if it is a proprietary card)

I asked my employer if it was alright to bring in my home lab as it's a bit ridiculous to bring a switch into a library not to mention most of a lab - too tired after work and long drive to do lab exercises at midnight at home.. First attempt of getting an approval for after work lab use was rejected a few weeks ago. Second attempt was approved... but now I have a gun to my head that says the exam cost is covered as well as I am allowed to practice lab work at the office after hours only which is a good 2.5 hours a day during the week. Then a goal of exam deadline was drawn up as well icon_neutral.gif I have to go for the ICND 1 Exam by May 15th.

As for booking an exam:
    I called up one of the exam centers a week ago. The lady on the phone was completely clueless about everything. Do I book with them directly over the phone? Or do I go through VUE's website and schedule there? I was afraid to ask the testing center a question as they could have easily misdirected me with misinformation due to being confused themselves. Can the exam be written on a Saturday?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I am going to assume that all the currently UNAVAILABLE features are available in the 12.4 version?
    Depends on version of IOS, what feature set you have for that IOS version and whether it is even supported on your particular router.

According to FN, NAC is supported. IPS is only supported on a 3660 but it'd run like molasses so I wouldn't bother. Firewall will be and so will VPN.
    I tried googling a photo of the PCMCIA card designed for the 3640. I could not find one. Anyone with a link to a photo of what one looks like? (not sure if it is a proprietary card)
    It is a regular PCMCIA ATA flash card so don't buy a linear flash card. You'll probably have issues finding one of these now but you should be able to buy a small CF card (128MB or less) and a PCMCIA CF adapter for it.
    I called up one of the exam centers a week ago. The lady on the phone was completely clueless about everything. Do I book with them directly over the phone? Or do I go through VUE's website and schedule there?
    I booked via the Pearson VUE site.
    Can the exam be written on a Saturday?
    Depends on the test center you choose.
  • Options
    Wondering if anyone has used the book below for studying hands on labs? Any good?

Amazon.com: 101 Labs for the Cisco CCNA Exam (9780955781520): Paul W Browning, Farai Tafa, Stuart Juggins: Books

101 Labs for the Cisco CCNA Exam (Paperback)

~ Paul W Browning (Author), Farai Tafa (Author), Stuart Juggins (Author)
  • Options
    Wondering if anyone has used the book below for studying hands on labs? Any good?
    CCIE Approved? icon_rolleyes.gif

Oh -- we've been spammed by the site listed on the cover. So far I've only been convinced they're good at self-promotion.
  • Options
    I bought that book online. I'll report the quality of it after I pass ICND 2.

I'm working with hands on now. Going through CBT Nuggets and the books that I have to practice, understand and pound away experience. Whenever I get stumped on a command, I come soo close to asking it on this forum, but I hold back and search harder on google. For most commands, I find the most detail on Cisco's website. It helps to elaborate on the simple pre-explored commands I type in from the books and videos.

I am working towards working with my routers. I'm sure I can find small labs here and there in the videos and books. Wondering if anyone can link me a good website that they have used for practicing the ICND 1 only with routers/switches that I could use for extra handson practice. The book that I ordered says that it will arrive between may 17 - june 20.... after my ICND1 exam... but it ought to help me through ICND2 if it's any good.

Can anyone who has recently passed the ICND 1 exam tell me how many hours they have studied for it overall? I'm putting so much time into it, I think it's crazy insane. This has already completely wiped out old hobbies.
  • Options
    DPGDPG Member Posts: 780 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Can anyone who has recently passed the ICND 1 exam tell me how many hours they have studied for it overall? I'm putting so much time into it, I think it's crazy insane. This has already completely wiped out old hobbies.

I think I studied for about 24 hours total for my ICND1 and felt like I over-studied for it. I did learn some new things, though.

I have only studied for about 15 hours so far for the ICND2 and my exam is this weekend. icon_redface.gif

i have spent the most time scoping eBay for routers and switches for my lab. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Is VLSM part of the ICND 1 exam? The Odom book says it is not, I just don't want to make a terrible mistake and not attempt to review it until ICND 2.
  • Options
    I have finished reading Odom's book.

Now I am going through cisco.com/go/prepcenter. It's pretty informative.
    After devouring that site, I plan to study subnetting for 20 hours next week.
    Lab demos/troubleshooting on weekends. On the last 20 hours before the exam --> run through boson..etc skill testing programs. I ought to be well prepared for this ICND 1 exam after all this.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Is VLSM part of the ICND 1 exam? The Odom book says it is not, I just don't want to make a terrible mistake and not attempt to review it until ICND 2.

Here is the ICND1 topics straight from the horse's mouth. It requires a login, but registration is free.