Options

A+(2009) in which order?

digitallyinclineddigitallyinclined Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys - I passed the Network+ last month and I'm about to begin studying for my A+ cert. I'm planning on taking the 2009 edition and was wondering if anyone could recommend which order is most practical to take the two 2009 exams?

Also, I'm studying from the Meyers all in one book and it seems the material for each exam is integrated together in the 1000+ page text. Any advice is welcomed and appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    JonkJonk Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys - I passed the Network+ last month and I'm about to begin studying for my A+ cert. I'm planning on taking the 2009 edition and was wondering if anyone could recommend which order is most practical to take the two 2009 exams?

Also, I'm studying from the Meyers all in one book and it seems the material for each exam is integrated together in the 1000+ page text. Any advice is welcomed and appreciated!

Well Meyers integrates both exams per chapter but he sections off each area in that chapter, so you have the essentials which is the first part of the chapter then the practical application which is the second part.
    Currently :study:: A+ (self study and in class)| Network+ | CCNA (self study and in class) | A.A.S. Network Design and Administration (Almost done!)
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□

Take the 701( Essentials), and then the 702(Practical) A lot of IT A+ candidates schedule the exams within weeks or days of each other , because there is a lot of overlap between the exams.
    2009 Edition

Required exams: CompTIA A+ Essentials, CompTIA A+ Practical Application

Number of questions: 100 for each exam

Length of test: 90 minutes each

Passing score: 675 for CompTIA A+ Essentials, 700 for CompTIA A+ Practical Application on a scale of 100-900

Languages: English, Spanish

Exam codes:
    220-701 for CompTIA A+ Essentials
    220-702 for CompTIA A+ Practical Application
    The Practical Application exam requires a higher score.
    CompTIA A+
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I agree with the above post. I scheduled my tests one day after another.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    kwabenaemmakwabenaemma Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passed the 701 this weekend. I'm taking the 702 coming weekend. How was the Network +, cos I'm going for that next. I'd love to go at it in a quick succession as I feel the wave of academic accomplishment washing over me now...
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I passed the 701 this weekend. I'm taking the 702 coming weekend. How was the Network +, cos I'm going for that next. I'd love to go at it in a quick succession as I feel the wave of academic accomplishment washing over me now...

I took the Network+ shortly after I got my CCENT. I also took the Network+ a week earlier by accident because I put in the wrong date.

That being said, the Network+ was TONS easier than the CCENT, and A+. At least, if you understand proper network concepts.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    hensdogghensdogg Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Take the 701( Essentials), and then the 702(Practical) A lot of IT A+ candidates schedule the exams within weeks or days of each other , because there is a lot of overlap between the exams.
    2009 Edition

Took them both this morning back to back, finished and passed both in 90 minutes!

I have 12+ years in technology jobs so I went in pretty confident with light studying. It was about what I expected, easy breezy if you have been in tech for a while.

Next will be Network+ which will also finish my MCSA 2003 electives. This will get me "caught up" on certs then its on to MCITP for Server 08!
  • Options
    digitallyinclineddigitallyinclined Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies!

How was the CCENT? I passed the Network+ with a 750 and found that a lot of the questions were based more on practical experience with some random obscurity thrown in there.

I'm definitely interested in going down the Cisco path, but I'm more focused on my MCSA at this point. I just started the Meyers A+ 2009 edition text and will be anticipating taking both exams within days of each other based on the feedback in the forum.

I thought the Network+ would have been easier than it was. It's kind of more about knowing what answers are wrong than which are right, per se. I was anticipating it to be easier than it was, so I can't really say one way or the other. I do have about 3-4 years professional IT experience but stil found it rather challenging. I'm wondering how the CCENT matches up in comparison, though.