VG200 question

Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
I was just wondering why someone would want a VG200 instead of, say, a MC3810? Cost is a factor, probably, but other than that what are its advantages? What can it not do?

Comments

• pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It's basically just a stripped down 2600 router. The only plus would be that it can run a slightly newer IOS. They typically come bare so you would have to spend quite a bit more to add some analog interfaces. The MC3810s on the other hand come absolutely loaded with analog interfaces and are cheap as hell. Some of the syntax is a little different though.

Either would be fine for a PSTN cloud. I would stick to something like a 1760 or 2600XM for a cheap branch office though
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 184
    pitviper wrote: »
    It's basically just a stripped down 2600 router. The only plus would be that it can run a slightly newer IOS. They typically come bare so you would have to spend quite a bit more to add some analog interfaces. The MC3810s on the other hand come absolutely loaded with analog interfaces and are cheap as hell. Some of the syntax is a little different though.

Either would be fine for a PSTN cloud. I would stick to something like a 1760 or 2800XM for a cheap branch office though

I was going to use my 3810 to hook my IP phone and computer to, then separate by VLANs. But then I found out the hard way that a 3810 doesn't do VLANs. I have to use my 2610 for that. And it, of course, has no voice modules or a DSP. Go figure.