Options

Cisco's next-generation Internet core router

captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Using a CRS-3, every person in China, which has a population just over 1.3 billion, could participate in a video phone call at the same time. It could transmit the whole printed contents of the U.S. Library of Congress in one second and every movie ever made in four minutes, according to Cisco.

They're going to get sued by the MPAA...
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote: »
    They're going to get sued by the MPAA...

hehehe, that would be entertaining to watch... icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I just watched the presentation on this. It looks pretty cool with the new features it adds, and some great though put!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It is nice and they might be sued lol. MPAA loves to go after everyone.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    bcall64bcall64 Member Posts: 156
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Time to start trawling fleaBay for second hand CRS-1s...
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Time to start trawling fleaBay for second hand CRS-1s...

I agree, I need 3 of the 4 slot chassis. I wouldn't mind having 3 ONS boxes as well icon_smile.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Specifications of Cisco CRS-1 4-Slot Single-Shelf System

Power

• Maximum power consumption when chassis is fully configured with line cards with traffic running: 2551W

Something tells me my electric wiring wouldn't take this. On the other hand, my electric provider would love my bills!
  • Options
    Specifications of Cisco CRS-1 4-Slot Single-Shelf System

Power

• Maximum power consumption when chassis is fully configured with line cards with traffic running: 2551W

Something tells me my electric wiring wouldn't take this. On the other hand, my electric provider would love my bills!
    It would be okay running off 1 wall socket here in Europe. 220V at 13A gives 2860W.

The grandmother of some Swedish internet guy had a small CRS-1 installed in her house/garage to as a test of extremely high speed fiber internet so it can't have too strange power requirements.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I'd like to see 'em try and increase Internet speed in Australia. Current method is to hit the donkey harder.
  • Options
    mikedisd2 wrote: »
    I'd like to 'em try and increase Internet speed in Australia. Current method is to hit the donkey harder.
    I blame the dropbears who chew your cables every so often.

The thing is, this is like garage storage space. You'll find reasons to fill it up. Everybody will get 1Gbps connections but then you'll be downloading multi GB files for everything and so it will still take time.
  • Options
    mikedisd2mikedisd2 Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    I blame the dropbears who chew your cables every so often.

The thing is, this is like garage storage space. You'll find reasons to fill it up. Everybody will get 1Gbps connections but then you'll be downloading multi GB files for everything and so it will still take time.

And if this actually happened, pirating would go through the roof.

And it's not the dropbears, it's the cane toads shorting out the cables. This would never have happened if Paul Hogan still lived here.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cisco's competitors have had similar or better products on the market for a while now. Cisco's only making a big marketing deal out of this to drive market trends (LOOK AT ALL THIS BANDWIDTH Y'ALL!!! DEVELOP FOR HIGH BANDWIDTH!)

There's a 50 thread discussion on NANOG about this now actually.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    Paul Boz took the words right out of my mouth....... :) In saying that... I'd love to get hands on with one..... BTW... what ever happened to Crash-2.... I mean CRS-2... :D

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP