Options

Determining which path to take

bcall64bcall64 Member Posts: 156
So I'm looking forward to getting my CCNA and looking at the future and asking myself, where do I want to go after the CCNA.

There are so many different tracks to take with wireless, security, design, service provider, etc.

I'm not in the networking field right now but want to be. What types of jobs are out there? What do you guys prefer as far as track to take (wireless, security, etc)? I just want to see different perspectives.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd just start on the NP after the CCNA. It will give you the most return on investment and what a lot of employers will be looking for on resumes. Once you get a good solid foundation in routing and switching (and hopefully some OTJ experience by then also) you will be in a better spot to make an informed decision on where you want your career to go.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    You know I was thinking that earlier today when I was looking at the tests. It looks like it's going to be 3 tests in the near future. TSHOOT, ROUTE, and SWITCH right?
  • Options
    Yes thats the new exams for the NP.
  • Options
    I plan on taking the ICND2 in May.

My plan from there is
    ROUTE: August 2010
    SWITCH: November 2010
    TSHOOT: March 2011

Think it's do-able in that time frame? I hope to get a new job sometime this summer but I'm stuck in a weird spot with a relocation contract. I make decent money where I am but I see myself maybe taking a pay cut with a entry level network engineer job.

I guess my biggest challenge would be getting lab equipment without breaking the bank.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yes thats the new exams for the NP.

A couple of weeks ago I would have said do the NA:Voice, NA:Wireless, and/or NA:Security, now I would say now start picking up steam towards the CCNP because nobody gives a care about these things. Honestly I have had to eat some crow these last few weeks. While studying towards np possibly pick up one or two of the concentrations but go don't let these NAs become a life style or mindset because in the real world you need so much more knowledge than the NA can give you just fo even for entry level positions especially in this market. Just don't rush it though, a CCNP without experience could be worse than a NA with some experience.
  • Options
    knwminus wrote: »
    A couple of weeks ago I would have said do the NA:Voice, NA:Wireless, and/or NA:Security, now I would say now start picking up steam towards the CCNP because nobody gives a care about these things. Honestly I have had to eat some crow these last few weeks. While studying towards np possibly pick up one or two of the concentrations but go don't let these NAs become a life style or mindset because in the real world you need so much more knowledge than the NA can give you just fo even for entry level positions especially in this market. Just don't rush it though, a CCNP without experience could be worse than a NA with some experience.

The kicker is getting a job in the field. I should be able to get one down here in RTP once I get the CCNA but like I said by taking a paycut.
  • Options
    imsiskoimsisko Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wireless and voice is getting more and more important so as security! Hard to choose... I'll probably go for them all once I get my CCNP, but first CCNA tomorrow morning! A bit nervous about it icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    imsisko wrote: »
    Wireless and voice is getting more and more important so as security! Hard to choose... I'll probably go for them all once I get my CCNP, but first CCNA tomorrow morning! A bit nervous about it icon_rolleyes.gif

Yeah after a discussion and reading some threads it looks like there is really no need to get the CCNP until I'm in the field for a couple of years.

I'm looking at finishing up the CCNA and then getting an MCSA just to broaden the opportunities.

A lot of job descriptions are looking for at least 3 years of experience in a multi layer switching environment.

I guess the question is how do you get started working in a multi layer switching environment?

Good luck with you test you'll do fine if you studied enough.
  • Options
    CiskHoCiskHo Member Posts: 188
    bcall64 wrote: »
    I'm not in the networking field right now but want to be. What types of jobs are out there?
    Hello from RTP. It seems that available jobs are slim pickins in this area. I saw a listing just yesterday for a company looking for 12 CCNAs with zero experience for $13/hr:
    http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tch/1630352140.html

I hate to say it but that is likely the best you will find with zero experience. There are tons of experienced guys in this area who just can't find a job. I think between Nortel, IBM, and Cisco cuts its going to be difficult to find anything around here unless you are willing to work for peanuts or wait 2 - 3 years. icon_cry.gif

As for the CCNA concentrations, I just finished the Security one. To be honest it was pointless as I have no OTJ experience with security. It was more of a filler for my resume so I can show that I am moving forward "just for the fun of it".

Best of luck (to us all) with the job hunting.
    My Lab Gear:
    2811(+SW/POE/ABGwifi/DOCSIS) - 3560G-24-EI - 3550-12G - 3550POE - (2) 2950G-24 - 7206VXR - 2651XM - (2) 2611XM - 1760 - (2) CP-7940G - ESXi Server

Just Finished: RHCT (1/8/11) and CCNA:S (Fall 2010)
    Prepping For: VCP and CCNP SWITCH, ROUTE, TSHOOT
  • Options
    Thanks!

I'm planning to get my MCSA too by the end of june. Microsoft offers a free second shot with selected exams (including the ones for mcsa) until the end of june! You should give a go!

For multilayer switching downloading the the Catalyst 3550 command guide is a good start... and of course a 3550 switch! I got mine from ebay for £150
  • Options
    CiskHo wrote: »
    Hello from RTP. It seems that available jobs are slim pickins in this area. I saw a listing just yesterday for a company looking for 12 CCNAs with zero experience for $13/hr:
    http://raleigh.craigslist.org/tch/1630352140.html

I hate to say it but that is likely the best you will find with zero experience. There are tons of experienced guys in this area who just can't find a job. I think between Nortel, IBM, and Cisco cuts its going to be difficult to find anything around here unless you are willing to work for peanuts or wait 2 - 3 years. icon_cry.gif

As for the CCNA concentrations, I just finished the Security one. To be honest it was pointless as I have no OTJ experience with security. It was more of a filler for my resume so I can show that I am moving forward "just for the fun of it".

Hey I'm in Cary and yeah there is nothing without experience. 13 and hour is a huge huge huge paycut. I guess I will just get certified in every technology I can possibly think of and pray that I luck out.

What bothers me is I excel at my current IT position but it's not related to networking it's software support. I mean I do have 4 years of experience doing tech support and 2nd level support. If I could find a way to put that to work for me I'd be golden.
  • Options
    CiskHo wrote: »

Amen!! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Yes the best of luck to everyone. I think something that is going to come out of this recession is a very educated/certified workforce. It's going to be interesting to see what does happen in 2-3 years.
  • Options
    RTP is an excellent place to work and live. I just left Cary last year to come here to SC. I'm sure its hard for people with no experience, but thats going to be true any where you go. When I decided to move there I had plenty of opportunities and my pick of jobs. A good place to look to get started would be something like VZB that has a large support presence there. There are a lot of small start up companies there that had some interest in me when I was looking also, so don't only look for the big names. I found my first position there through Triangle Jobs | Home so something to look into.

Good luck!